How Not To Diet

MackemBob

Striker
Had this book (How Not To Diet, by Michael Greger) for a while and have recently reread it. Have put a lot of the principles of it into practice over the last ten weeks and I’m pleased to say it’s had quite a good effect so far.

Have managed to lose 1st 10lbs so far and haven’t really felt as though I’m “on a diet”.

The things I’ve taken from it so far are the use of vinegar daily, eating vegetables as a first course, and shifting my daily walk to before breakfast. Have tried some of the other suggestions, but they haven’t yet become a habit with me. I’m sure they will, given time.

Anyone else used the ideas from the book/Michael Greger’s YouTube videos?

Had this book (How Not To Diet, by Michael Greger) for a while and have recently reread it. Have put a lot of the principles of it into practice over the last ten weeks and I’m pleased to say it’s had quite a good effect so far.

Have managed to lose 1st 10lbs so far and haven’t really felt as though I’m “on a diet”.

The things I’ve taken from it so far are the use of vinegar daily, eating vegetables as a first course, and shifting my daily walk to before breakfast. Have tried some of the other suggestions, but they haven’t yet become a habit with me. I’m sure they will, given time.

I was more influenced by his how not to die book and website NutritionFacts.org | The Latest in Nutrition Related Research and ended up vegan/plant based 6 years ago which along with my running has totally stabalised my previous yo yo weight. There a few hints and tips that will help in there but I think the real take home message is to lose and keep off you need to make lifestyle changes you can keep too. Reality as well is if you eating a lot of fruit and veg with good carb sources the choice of protein of each of the various diet camps comes down to personal choice as the real benefits come from cutting out processed food and having higher fibre.

He is a plant based advocate but he has a staff that are ensuring new diet etc research papers are reviewed and incorporated into the advise but clearly some bias there.

Last edited:
Cutting out bread is a huge one for me (though not easy). My kite has reduced significantly with the addition of exercise

Yes, cutting out bread and other starchy carbs - rice, pasta and spuds has the biggest effect on me. Very hard as they are all cheap, filling and are comfort foods so I have the occasional relapse but even a few days without them I can feel the difference in bloat and my blood sugar readings.

Just need to learn to avoid the bakery aisle in the supermarket and get used to every meal not needing a pile of white carbs on the side. I wouldn't go as far as being ultra low carb/keto but being low-ish carb works for me.

Yes, cutting out bread and other starchy carbs - rice, pasta and spuds has the biggest effect on me. Very hard as they are all cheap, filling and are comfort foods so I have the occasional relapse but even a few days without them I can feel the difference in bloat and my blood sugar readings.

Just need to learn to avoid the bakery aisle in the supermarket and get used to every meal not needing a pile of white carbs on the side. I wouldn't go as far as being ultra low carb/keto but being low-ish carb works for me.
I can’t remember where I read it, but there were a couple of conclusive studies that said potatoes had one of the best the best calorie to satiety ratio. Meaning you felt full a lot quicker eating potatoes per calorie than other foods.

Yoghurt was up there as well.

I can’t stand a keto diet, so will give this book a read.

I can’t remember where I read it, but there were a couple of conclusive studies that said potatoes had one of the best the best calorie to satiety ratio. Meaning you felt full a lot quicker eating potatoes per calorie than other foods.

Yoghurt was up there as well.

I can’t stand a keto diet, so will give this book a read.
That’s one of the reasons why Ireland based their culture around the potato - it was easy to grow and fed an increasing population.

Sweet potatoes hit the sweet spot.

They’re high in fibre, low in fat and sugar.

Last edited:
That’s one of the reasons why Ireland based their culture around the potato - it was easy to grow and fed an increasing population.

Sweet potatoes hit the sweet spot.

They’re high in fibre, low in fat and sugar.

I've mostly switched to sweet potatoes when I'm in the need for a spud. Made a cottage pie earlier with sweet potato mash and it worked well. Just have to make sure that I save the leftovers for tomorrow rather than having second helpings.

I've mostly switched to sweet potatoes when I'm in the need for a spud. Made a cottage pie earlier with sweet potato mash and it worked well. Just have to make sure that I save the leftovers for tomorrow rather than having second helpings.
I’m trying to persuade the rest of the family to try a vegetarian cottage pie but they’re not keen.

I cooked some orange sweet potatoes last week to eat with fish and they’re quite nice, there were leftovers that I ate cold the next day.

Sorry if this is the most boring post ever. I’m trying to have a couple of meat-free days per week.

I have found that I need starchy carbs, otherwise I feel absolutely flattened after training. I tried to eat mainly protein focused meals and reduced the carb content

Will have a look at this cheers as been looking at changing my diet.

Listened to this podcast recently which I think is helpful (not sure if it differs from Gregers recommendations.

Also embarking on listening to this podcast as well as acquiring his book on ultra processed food.

Will have a look at this cheers as been looking at changing my diet.

Listened to this podcast recently which I think is helpful (not sure if it differs from Gregers recommendations.

Also embarking on listening to this podcast as well as acquiring his book on ultra processed food.

Thanks - big fan of Michael Mosely but hadn't heard of the other one. Working my way through it now. Just shows that people who are overweight aren't necessarily stupid or uneducated and that twins can have different outcomes means that it's not all genetic or upbringing either.

Thanks - big fan of Michael Mosely but hadn't heard of the other one. Working my way through it now. Just shows that people who are overweight aren't necessarily stupid or uneducated and that twins can have different outcomes means that it's not all genetic or upbringing either.

It’s a mind field isn’t it. Trying to avoid these ultra processed foods not but pricing difficult unless you are well prepared and know what products are the right ones.
Also been listening to this podcast which also talks about products and whether they are actually good for you or do as they say:

Interestingly talks about the benefits of turmeric which I think Dr Michael Mosley talks about.

Last edited:
Just serve them it without telling them what it is. Vegie mince also works well in a chilli
I used to buy soya mince and soya chunks, they work well in chilli sin carne. Have not seen either for years, I take it they are still available, as could still work as a good alternative, or addition, to 5% beef mince.

I used to buy soya mince and soya chunks, they work well in chilli sin carne. Have not seen either for years, I take it they are still available, as could still work as a good alternative, or addition, to 5% beef mince.
Most health food shops sell them, just rehydrate then use as normal.

I prefer sunflower mince, I find the texture a lot better.

Oooo, that sounds interesting, I will at least try once, as I agree soya mince texture was not great, the marginally bigger chunks were a little better.
I get mine from my local refill shop

High in protein and fibre and fat free!

You can still get soya mince/chunks in supermarket frozen sections. The texture alone is a bit "mushy" but is better when mixed with different veg

Back