Has the dutch thread been deleted?!

Surely not!?

The name itself isn't instantly racist over here, infact I've met several Dutch people called Peter.

If we're talking about the companion to Sinterklaas, then yes that's controversial here.

Is it not spelled Pieter?

I havnt got a clue mind

Bottom 😍
idk I've 100% seen it censored in a couple of games recently, Sea of Thieves & Chiv 2 I both played with my mate Peter so it was pretty noticeable

That surprises me to be honest.

Tiny bit of thread drift, the Dutch language has some horrendous swear words, particularly when translated to English. Wouldn't want to repeat them here.

Last edited:
The character is called Zwarte Piet

I once studied Dutch in evening classes and we had a particularly humourless Dutch woman teaching us

She started telling us one lesson about Dutch Xmas traditions - including a character they have called Zwarte Piet

She told us “some people think it is racist. But IT IS NOT”. Seemed a bit sensitive about it

The cartoons of Piet were pretty crude caricatures of what a black youngster would look like and he obviously had a servile role in the story.

So you could see why people would object. But him and Sinter Klaus “arrive from Spain on 5 December.

Well I forgot about this for several years, … until I went to Amsterdam with my gf (no) - who had Nigerian parents - on 4 December to celebrate her birthday next day.

Something was bothering me but I could not remember what it was … but then we got to the centre of Amsterdam and there were literally hundreds of guys dressed up in middle aged clothing with their faces blacked out and cartoon red lips painted on.

I. Could. Have. Died. With embarrassment .

But a lot of them will cheerfully tell you it’s not racist - but you try wearing clogs, balancing a cheese on your head and smoking a joint and see what happens 🤣🤣🤣

To lighten the mood Other Dutch idiosyncracies that I never really got my head round.

Keeping the curtains open of their house so people and see in and admire the tidiness of their home. I used to walk past this house with a. Big garden every day and the fence was lowered on the middle so people could see in and know he had a nice garden …………. Mental.

Pans straight from the oven onto the table to serve from.

Pretty sure there is a book the undutchables iirc that lists all these things and their origins

To lighten the mood Other Dutch idiosyncracies that I never really got my head round.

Keeping the curtains open of their house so people and see in and admire the tidiness of their home. I used to walk past this house with a. Big garden every day and the fence was lowered on the middle so people could see in and know he had a nice garden …………. Mental.

Pans straight from the oven onto the table to serve from.

Pretty sure there is a book the undutchables iirc that lists all these things and their origins

You can add a love of fried food to that anarl. Fed up of Krokets. :lol:

Last edited:

Back