Greatest side of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrjardine

Striker
Let's just say we had to pick a side to play against an XI from another planet in order to preserve the universe.
What would yours be?

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman
Richards
Tendulkar
Sobers
Gilchrist
Akram
Warne (captain)
Marshall
McGrath

Batting line up that looks unbreachable and a bowling line up that covers every base.

Let's just say we had to pick a side to play against an XI from another planet in order to preserve the universe.
What would yours be?

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman
Richards
Tendulkar
Sobers
Gilchrist
Akram
Warne (captain)
Marshall
McGrath

Batting line up that looks unbreachable and a bowling line up that covers every base.
Horrendous

What would yours be?

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman
Richards
Tendulkar
Sobers
Gilchrist
Akram
Warne (captain)
Marshall
McGrath

Wow...what a side! shame no place for the likes of Wally Hammond or WG. the latter merely for his presence and ability to take the piss out of the oppisition, then again there's an Aussie or two in there so we're covered in that department !

Edit: Hobbs BTW is the one cricketer I would have loved too see. Of all the historical figures who have ever played the game, including Bradman, I'd have loved to have seen Hobbs. He was a big mate of our very own Charlie buchan BTW.

In fact as if to demonstrate the two of them together here is a canny image, from my SAFC archives, both of course sporting icons:

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...what a side! shame no place for the likes of Wally Hammond or WG. the latter merely for his presence and ability to take the piss out of the oppisition, then again there's an Aussie or two in there so we're covered in that department !

Edit: Hobbs BTW is the one cricketer I would have loved too see. Of all the historical figures who have ever played the game, including Bradman, I'd have loved to have seen Hobbs. He was a big mate of our very own Charlie buchan BTW.

In fact as if to demonstrate the two of them together here is a canny image, from my SAFC archives, both of course sporting icons:

Logon or register to see this image
Great photo that mind.
I actually toyed with idea of playing Jardine as skipper due to his ability of finding a way to win. A decent enough average of 40+ as well but thought I'd give it to the greatest captain never to captain the Aussies (few one dayers but should've got it before ponting IMO).
Hobbs, Sutcliffe, bradman, sobers and Hammond who you mentioned all had to do it on uncovered pitches as well which shouldn't be underestimated.

Great photo that mind.
I actually toyed with idea of playing Jardine as skipper due to his ability of finding a way to win. A decent enough average of 40+ as well but thought I'd give it to the greatest captain never to captain the Aussies (few one dayers but should've got it before ponting IMO).
Hobbs, Sutcliffe, bradman, sobers and Hammond who you mentioned all had to do it on uncovered pitches as well which shouldn't be underestimated.
you picked an unbelievable side. the picture is immense. Buchan and Hobbs eh? Supreme sporting talents. How many runs did Hobbs get...neck end of 70,000?

How are you picking it? Because you won't have seen Hobbs and Sutcliffe (or Bradman but I guess he is a no brainer), and I doubt you would have seen a huge amount of Sobers.

It's a bit like picking a football side and picking Matthews, Di Stefano, Puskas, who I'm pretty sure you will have seen little of

How are you picking it? Because you won't have seen Hobbs and Sutcliffe (or Bradman but I guess he is a no brainer), and I doubt you would have seen a huge amount of Sobers.

It's a bit like picking a football side and picking Matthews, Di Stefano, Puskas, who I'm pretty sure you will have seen little of
Footage of top 3 is grainy at best but their respective records stand up to scrutiny when take all things Into consideration.
It's a purely hypothetical musing really but one that usually provokes decent debate.

Given how great the batting is would it be better going for a different keeper. Gilchrist was a fantastic player but not the best keeper ever. Healy perhaps, think Warne preferred his keeping. My only other suggestion would be you need to swap Sobers for David Capel. 12th man.... Randall, Rhodes or Bland?

Fair enough fella.

Not sure I would have Wasim, but can't disagree with much else
Wasim gives me the left arm option.
Sobers does also but he wasn't as good as akram with ball and he's probably greatest exponent of reverse swing in history of game.

Given how great the batting is would it be better going for a different keeper. Gilchrist was a fantastic player but not the best keeper ever. Healy perhaps, think Warne preferred his keeping. My only other suggestion would be you need to swap Sobers for David Capel. 12th man.... Randall, Rhodes or Bland?
Great point regarding the keeper.
I considered picking Alan Knott for the reasons you mentioned as he's widely regarded as best gloveman of all time and he was a very useful bat as well.
Went for gilly though as he gives me that insurance with bat on the off chance it goes pear shaped. He was just about a good enough keeper as well to allow me to do this.

Wasim gives me the left arm option.
Sobers does also but he wasn't as good as akram with ball and he's probably greatest exponent of reverse swing in history of game.

Great point regarding the keeper.
I considered picking Alan Knott for the reasons you mentioned as he's widely regarded as best gloveman of all time and he was a very useful bat as well.
Went for gilly though as he gives me that insurance with bat on the off chance it goes pear shaped. He was just about a good enough keeper as well to allow me to do this.
Hadn't realised how good his record was actually

Another option would be Ambrose mind. And given batting averages at the moment, Steyn is knocking on the door

One player also worth considering is Jacques Kallis, averages 32 with the ball (nearly 300 wickets) and 55 with the bat.

Hadn't realised how good his record was actually

Another option would be Ambrose mind. And given batting averages at the moment, Steyn is knocking on the door

One player also worth considering is Jacques Kallis, averages 32 with the ball (nearly 300 wickets) and 55 with the bat.
Yeah couldn't really argue with ambrose for McGrath. Would be steyn or Marshall for me and I'd still stick with Malcolm.
Kallis could arguably sneak in ahead of sobers but his flexibility of being able to bowl spin if need arises gives him the edge.
Murali could also be in ahead of Warne as well. Spinning it out of rough created by akram and sobers to the right handers would be lethal. Also he carried a bowling attack pretty much on his own whilst warne had the luxury of bowling in tandem with McGrath.
Things to ponder.

Yeah couldn't really argue with ambrose for McGrath. Would be steyn or Marshall for me and I'd still stick with Malcolm.
Kallis could arguably sneak in ahead of sobers but his flexibility of being able to bowl spin if need arises gives him the edge.
Murali could also be in ahead of Warne as well. Spinning it out of rough created by akram and sobers to the right handers would be lethal. Also he carried a bowling attack pretty much on his own whilst warne had the luxury of bowling in tandem with McGrath.
Things to ponder.
Nah I would still pick Warne. The no brainers for me are Bradman, Warne and Gilchrist. I reckon the rest can be debated to an extent. You could arguably pick a side that reads

Hayden
Gavaskar
Bradman
Pollock
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Warne
Hadlee
Ambrose
Lillee

And not be laughed at. It doesn't feel as strong as yours mind

Nah I would still pick Warne. The no brainers for me are Bradman, Warne and Gilchrist. I reckon the rest can be debated to an extent. You could arguably pick a side that reads

Hayden
Gavaskar
Bradman
Pollock
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Warne
Hadlee
Ambrose
Lillee

And not be laughed at. It doesn't feel as strong as yours mind
Graham pollock a great shout and another name I considered.
If I was picking a team based purely on my era and what I saw a reasonable amount of it would be

Hayden
Gavaskar
Tendulkar
Richards
Ponting
Kallis
Gilchrist
Akram
Warne
Marshall
McGrath

Torn between ponting and Lara mind.