Government Petition (Hedgehogs)

Didn't realise you did this until seeing this thread tonight. That's tremendous work! I hope things go well over the rest og the summer.
Dad inspired me to help a few year ago as he helps feed them/rescue/rehome them. Originally started by feeding them outside and it's just gone from there really. Learning a lot about them and just want to do what we can to help. These two we've taken in could well be challenging as they're young but the rescue were happy for us to take them having responded well to treatments and given a clean bill of health. That said they still need to be monitored and weighed daily. I've seen hogs deteriorate very quickly it's frightening. Love watching them outside on a night feeding, get a lot of satisfaction from that

Last year there was 3 or 4 hedgehogs in our street when I took the mutts out on their late night walk, including one that used to eat in our garden every night.

There hasn't been a single one in our garden this year, and I've only seen one in our street up to a few weeks ago when I noticed it had been squashed by a car at the bottom of Britannia Terrace. Poor little bugger 😥

Every time I get one in our garden, it gets flattened by traffic on the road in front. They don’t stand a chance.

We found one on a dog walk earlier. Think it’s a youngun, as it’s small. It had flies on it, and they’d eaten its eyes out.
But it was still (barely) breathing.
We took it home, to give it water, and hopefully get it to a vet. Alas, none open, or that would take it.
I’ve now put it in a sealed Tupperware box, hoping it runs out of breath soon, as I think it’s got maggots inside it.
Honestly don’t know what else to do. Poor little thing.

Fcking hell mate, what happened to it? I appreciate the dilemma but I’m sure a shovel to the head would have been better for it than slowly suffocating it

My next door neighbour gets them in their back garden, not had them in ours unfortunately though. I’m tempted to ask if I can cut into the fence between us to create a bit of a hedgehog highway. They’re my favourite animals. Breaks my heart saying them dead on the roads.

Definitely do it. It'll be safer for them to go from garden to garden like that.

I had two in my back garden earlier this week, definitely sounded like they were making more. First time I’ve seen them there and I’ve lived there for nearly 8 years. I might look into making somewhere for them to hibernate in.

sainsburys kitten biscuits £1.75 are favourable. got 2 young hoglets with us at the moment fostering in the back room and they are loving this stuff and some of the local rescues use it. water also.

i feed the outside wild ones we have visit, tesco kitten biscuits which are about £1.80 a box
Say hello to Freddie, one of the hogs we have fostered

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
They go for a custard cream.

Probably bad for them but that's what I gave the last one with water. Got a video of it in daylight about 11:45 when we had that one week of heat in June. Came trudging past my foot

Ours have disappeared which they did for a bit last year hopefully the dog will let us know they there when she goes into the garden for before bed wizz. Will start putting food back out stopped recently as a neighbours cat is helping themselves to it.

sainsburys kitten biscuits £1.75 are favourable. got 2 young hoglets with us at the moment fostering in the back room and they are loving this stuff and some of the local rescues use it. water also.

i feed the outside wild ones we have visit, tesco kitten biscuits which are about £1.80 a box
Say hello to Freddie, one of the hogs we have fostered

Logon or register to see this image

Cracking work mate 👍

Cracking work mate 👍
Thanks. These 2 we've had for a week, we weren't planning to take any in until November which is what we did last year but the local rescue is so busy, they asked if we could take 2 to help create space for them, so we've taken these 2. They've settled in well and we shall see how they go. They've had all their meds/treatments so it's up to us to fatten them up. Just got to hope they continue to make good progress and they can be released into the wild in time and a good weight. We have up to 3 feeding outside also. Dad has 4 in his garden at the moment

There was a hedgehog in the middle of the road at the top of our street this morning. It was certain to get flattened but I pulled over and took it over to the grass next to the allotments. Hopefully the little critter will be ok now.

It seemed in good condition, albeit a little on the small side and there was no sign of it when I took the dogs out an hour later. Fingers crossed.

Back