Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would exercise some caution here.

Bear in mind that your old Canon lenses are manual focus only (if I remember correctly from previous discussions) and may only function in certain modes on the Sony. You certainly won't get autofocus. I've got to say that story about Nikon lenses being plastic is bollocks, if you'll pardon the expression. All the main manufacturers are likely to use some plastic in some of their lens designs these days, and if the dealer is suggesting that modern Nikon lenses are in some way inferior to old Canon ones, he is being downright misleading. In many ways, modern lenses are better optically than old ones, due to coatings, aspherical elements, low dispersion glass and so on. That 35mm DX Nikon lens is an absolute belter, and many, many professionals rely every day on Nikon (as well as Canon) lenses - if they were poor quality that wouldn't happen.

I'd spend a bit more time pondering if I was you, because you've jumped quite far from one setup to the other there, as well as increasing your spend, but not necessarily improving what you get. You are likely to be getting a better sensor in the FF Sony, but you're making your photography slower and more clunky by using old lenses on it, and probably not allowing yourself to benefit from all the advantages of a modern camera (and lenses). Your old lenses may even remove any advantage that the FF sensor would give you.

Using old lenses on a modern camera with an adaptor is good fun, and can produce nice results, but I would suggest if you do go for the Sony, to get yourself at least one fully compatible modern lens to go with it too, rather than relying solely on your old Canon ones. That way you will be able to make the most of its capabilities, IMO.

You could also consider selling those Canon lenses for £100 or so.

Also, while the Sony is good, there are other options in full frame without spending a mint - it's not the only one (though it might be the only one that the dealer you went to wants to sell).

You could also use those lenses on any DSLR in the same way with an adaptor (full frame or otherwise), or indeed with a Micro 4/3 camera or similar.

Last edited:

I will but currently am trying to enter April comp with random internet access.

:evil:

I did as AB22 easy tiger says and went to the camera shop to try out my intended purchase (Nikon d5300). Felt great. Got chatting about wanting a full frame....,

Found a full frame [high St price £1000 ) so less than the 2 k I thought I'd need to spend for a full frame. (Can't afford £2k).

Found out the lightness of Nikon is because of plastic lenses rather than glass.

But best of all I can use my glass canon lenses on this full frame camera. So justifies spending more on camera body as no lenses need purchasing (£40 for adaptor).

So originally it was a Nikon crop for approx £430 with free 18-55 and prime plástic 35mm =£530
But now
Sony alpha 7 full frame body =£660 (internet price rather than high St)
Adaptor £40
Total
£700
Free lenses as I have already
Prime 24
Prime 50
Telephoto 75-210
All my lenses are glass not resin\plastic

Is this new plan good ?
I use the a7's bigger brother, the A7R.

Pros:
Much better sensor than my old FF Canon
smaller and lighter

Cons:
AF so poor I don't use it, even with a £300 Metabones III adapter. However, it has 'focus peaking' which is excellent and now prefer manual focus (I mainly use a 24mm TSE lens anyway which is only manual focus)
Relatively bad battery life compared to a DLSR

On the whole its a much better camera than anything Canon are offering for what I use it for IMO (landscape, possibly studio condition protraits)

Did you make a decision then @peachbum ?
No, but I need to. Have about five weeks to sort something even if only a replacement s100.

I did take your advice to ponder awhile. I also read that orosso liked his.

It wouldn't be a huge leap in price if I could get the alfa7 , seen it for around £650 iirc. Not bothered about autofocus lens. I have only ever used manual focus previously.

I can get a Nikon D5300 with kit and prime lens for probably £550/£600.

The Nikon would be lighter and new and I'd likely enjoy it. But I feel more excited about the sonyalfa7.

The Sony being a full frame excites me and I think there should be an element of that when you buy something new. It is partly a purchase with birthday money and partly savings so I want to get it right.

I will love using it (any DSLR) but what is holding me back a bit is I'll likely not take it out all the time and rely on a handbag size camera that is easily portable. Also back in the day of film, I have albums of photos that I enjoy to this day. If I get an expensive (ish) digital SLR but don't use it a lot and the images get stored on a PC that eventually breaks, hence losing the photos (yes I do know about backing up, but we all are slack about this aren't we), is it actually worth it.

Also, got talking to a bloke in the camera place at the airport (not cheaper than high St), and he just raved on about canon L lenses, saying they were state of the art. Will decide soon.
Today head says canon s100 replacement, heart says Sony alfa7 .

Need to sort a wedding outfit for son's wedding so time for camera research is limited.

Last edited:
Assuming from the above that you have the small handbag sized camera already? If not, should you not perhaps buy yourself a top quality compact instead, if that's going to account for the bulk of your photography needs? Or perhaps one of the more advanced micro 4/3 type bodies (which can also accept your old lenses with an adapter).

Putting that to one side, at the risk of being utterly ridiculed, why not get your old Canon SLR out and shoot some film? It's awesome, and full frame of course :cool:.

I use digital for snaps and it is undoubtedly superior in low light, but when I get the opportunity to be indulgent and go out just to take photos for pleasure, I pick up one of my film cameras. The experience is so much more fulfilling. Maybe just think about what you actually want to get out of this (and I don't just mean the output of digital files or prints, though that is undoubtedly part of it....I mean the overall experience of enjoying photography).

I'm not entirely serious that you shouldn't buy any of them, but if what you're after is a camera to take out when you want to take your time and just take photos, then you might find you already have one.

No, but I need to. Have about five weeks to sort something even if only a replacement s100.

I did take your advice to ponder awhile. I also read that orosso liked his.

It wouldn't be a huge leap in price if I could get the alfa7 , seen it for around £650 iirc. Not bothered about autofocus lens. I have only ever used manual focus previously.

I can get a Nikon D5300 with kit and prime lens for probably £550/£600.

The Nikon would be lighter and new and I'd likely enjoy it. But I feel more excited about the sonyalfa7.

The Sony being a full frame excites me and I think there should be an element of that when you buy something new. It is partly a purchase with birthday money and partly savings so I want to get it right.

I will love using it (any DSLR) but what is holding me back a bit is I'll likely not take it out all the time and rely on a handbag size camera that is easily portable. Also back in the day of film, I have albums of photos that I enjoy to this day. If I get an expensive (ish) digital SLR but don't use it a lot and the images get stored on a PC that eventually breaks, hence losing the photos (yes I do know about backing up, but we all are slack about this aren't we), is it actually worth it.

Also, got talking to a bloke in the camera place at the airport (not cheaper than high St), and he just raved on about canon L lenses, saying they were state of the art. Will decide soon.
Today head says canon s100 replacement, heart says Sony alfa7 .

Need to sort a wedding outfit for son's wedding so time for camera research is limited.
the A7 is lighter than the Nikon btw. The Sony is more like a compact size than a DLSR.

You're not in the NE are you Peachy? You could have borrowed mine if you were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back