RTG Getting pop-ups, Audio, redirects, ads overlaying text, malware reports from ads please read this

If it's not sorted soon, I won't be visiting this website anymore.

I appreciate this site needs revenue but not at the expense of functionality and safety for its users.

Please can you sort this Roger? I really enjoy using your forum.

I am getting 2 or 3 pop-ups on my android phone every day.

I can't sort it unless people read the first post in this thread and give me the information requested in that. Without that I cannot track them down to work out which ad-network they are being sent from and which combination of device/phone network they are being sent to

I have yet to see one recently myself.

I can't sort it unless people read the first post in this thread and give me the information requested in that. Without that I cannot track them down to work out which ad-network they are being sent from and which combination of device/phone network they are being sent to

I have yet to see one recently myself.
This has been ongoing since November 2014 though Roger. I appreciate its hard to stop but maybe it's best to look at alternative add plugins if possible.

Edit: ad plugins

Last edited by a moderator:
Google Nexus 5, Android Marshmallow. Tesco Mobile, Chrome.

Cleared all history apart from Passwords.

Wifi on - went straight to Pure Football using bookmark and got redirected to a "Virgin Media" ad (it says VM but it is just a page encouraging you to click on links) through this:
http://a.adplacebest.com/adx-dir-d/link?aid=sBDcKo2&nid=5&imp=1&w=1&h=1

Went to page 1 of this thread and tried the links twice on Wifi then twice on mobile data with no rogue popup.

OK, more testing.
It seems if I clear the browsing history this provokes a popup next time I visit.
Made bookmarks of Networks 4-7.
If I clear history and I go to 5 or 6, I get a popup.
The one about the phone being 28.1% corrupted is great. That . 1% is a touch of genius.

Roger, could you try clearing your phone browsing history and trying this.

Last edited:
This has been ongoing since November 2014 though Roger. I appreciate its hard to stop but maybe it's best to look at alternative add plugins if possible.

Edit: ad plugins

We don't use plugins as such, and I am not using any of the ad networks I was back in 2014. It is a constant game of cat and mouse, but the largest problem is that nearly all of the ad-agencies/networks use the same back end ad-exchanges. Any ad slots they can't sell directly themselves, they pass to the exchange which fills the slot (usually very cheaply).

One of the main reason people see these on phone networks and not wi-fi is that they are very specifically targeted to prevent their detection - so you have to be on network x, with device y, in country z for the rogue ad to show up. Any test tools running on any other network or emulating another type of device can't detect/trap the ad.

The back end ad-exchanges are the real culprit and sadly they seem reluctant to do anything about it.

Google Nexus 5, Android Marshmallow. Tesco Mobile, Chrome.

Cleared all history apart from Passwords.

Wifi on - went straight to Pure Football using bookmark and got redirected to a "Virgin Media" ad (it says VM but it is just a page encouraging you to click on links) through this:
http://a.adplacebest.com/adx-dir-d/link?aid=sBDcKo2&nid=5&imp=1&w=1&h=1

Went to page 1 of this thread and tried the links twice on Wifi then twice on mobile data with no rogue popup.

OK, more testing.
It seems if I clear the browsing history this provokes a popup next time I visit.
Made bookmarks of Networks 4-7.
If I clear history and I go to 5 or 6, I get a popup.
The one about the phone being 28.1% corrupted is great. That . 1% is a touch of genius.

Roger, could you try clearing your phone browsing history and trying this.

I've made some changes to what is displayed based on that info - they will take an hour or so to take affect but should stop ads from those front-end networks being displayed when you are connected via a UK mobile network. (Note - if you go direct to the test pages you will still see the rogue ads, but they shouldn't be appearing on the rest of the website)

Did you try the clearing history trick?
Just curious whether that was coincidence or not.

Yes, I tried that and anonymous browsing. Made no difference to me, but I am in a different location on a different network.

I doubt it was a co-incidence in your case, they probably use a tracking cookie and only display a set number to each person, so if you clear that cookie they think you are a new visitor.

Is anyone still seeing the problem today (Saturday) on the message boards.

Yes, I tried that and anonymous browsing. Made no difference to me, but I am in a different location on a different network.

I doubt it was a co-incidence in your case, they probably use a tracking cookie and only display a set number to each person, so if you clear that cookie they think you are a new visitor.

Is anyone still seeing the problem today (Saturday) on the message boards.
Appreciate the effort. None today

And then this happened -
Logon or register to see this image

And this -
Logon or register to see this image

It's not like I'm even clicking on the ad. It literally takes over the browser while navigating the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back