Getting in to playing at an older age

I was once out first ball of the game at Horden - caught and bowled by Steven Ward, who is sadly no longer with us.

Took guard at 2pm and was back in the dressing room at 2:01pm. Spent the rest of our innings lying in the sun in a huff and got sunburnt. Got heckled by the Horden cardboard-cutouts when I was fielding as well. Not a good day at all, but, hey ho, sh!t happens.

Think I got fifty-odd the following week - cricket's like that. You've just got to take the rough with the smooth and enjoy it for what it is.
Once saw a bloke get out at horden who was absolutely livid as he walked off. Got to the changing rooms and hoyed his batting gloves onto the roof and sat down in a huff. About 10 mins later once he’d calmed down strode off to get a ladder to retrieve said gloves from the roof. 😂😂😂

Once saw a bloke get out at horden who was absolutely livid as he walked off. Got to the changing rooms and hoyed his batting gloves onto the roof and sat down in a huff. About 10 mins later once he’d calmed down strode off to get a ladder to retrieve said gloves from the roof. 😂😂😂
I only once threw a strop on a decision

In the Sheffield midweek alliance, you were often umpired by a bloke from your own side, this can result in someone trying to be over fair and giving decisions to the opposition, a bent f.ooker giving you everything, or someone who actually didn't know the basics.
I was in a massive partnership batting with the number 4 (Partnership was nearly 40....(Fuc k off)
and he went to square cut, the ball hit the bottom edge and rattled into his pad, some idiot appealed, and our mates finger went up.
We were schooled to walk on decision, he walked..I was simply staring at the idiot of an umpire I actually worked with...I couldn't hold me water and said
"He got a bottom edge first on that one mate"
His reply
"Yea but it was going on to hit middle"
I mean..I laugh now, but at the time .....
We once wrote a book of excuses one afternoon when a game was called off
We worked out..not a one of us was at fault at anytime for dropping a catch, or getting out.
It was a reight laugh, all p*ssed and saying stuff like.....
"Outswinger, didn't read it"
I only ever played with one player EVER that could read a ball out of a bowlers hand...and one bowler who could put the ball where he wanted it, and it do what he wanted to do with it...and they were BOTH the same player....So unless he actually once bowled to himself....I haven't seen the movie.
Its simply the level played at....Its a great game, even when you are average, no buggrr remembers your gaffes, if youplay at the level I played at, you get picked simply because the ball might hit you in the field and you stop a single ffs!..Its cricket, its so subtle you can say owt, no f.ooker notices.
I mean Sheffield Sunday league football is a totally different kettle of crap....You volley the ball into yer own net and you can't say
"It turned in "..yer simply crap..no excuses...From a corner..I once went to clear an header, glanced it onto me own cross bar, it ricochets out from the cross bar, back to me...I shinned it and hit me own post..Captain screamed
"Which bloody side are you playing for"
I p*ssed meself with laughting, cos it I was like panic struck, and found it funny, but the rest of the team didn't and kept giving me a round of f ucks....you don't get that in cricket, cos its NEVER your fault, and no-one argues cos they have the same problem

Last edited:
I only once threw a strop on a decision

In the Sheffield midweek alliance, you were often umpired by a bloke from your own side, this can result in someone trying to be over fair and giving decisions to the opposition, a bent f.ooker giving you everything, or someone who actually didn't know the basics.
I was in a massive partnership batting with the number 4 (Partnership was nearly 40....(Fuc k off)
and he went to square cut, the ball hit the bottom edge and rattled into his pad, some idiot appealed, and our mates finger went up.
We were schooled to walk on decision, he walked..I was simply staring at the idiot of an umpire I actually worked with...I couldn't hold me water and said
"He got a bottom edge first on that one mate"
His reply
"Yea but it was going on to hit middle"
I mean..I laugh now, but at the time .....
We once wrote a book of excuses one afternoon when a game was called off
We worked out..not a one of us was at fault at anytime for dropping a catch, or getting out.
It was a reight laugh, all p*ssed and saying stuff like.....
"Outswinger, didn't read it"
I only ever played with one player EVER that could read a ball out of a bowlers hand...and one bowler who could put the ball where he wanted it, and it do what he wanted to do with it...and they were BOTH the same player....So unless he actually once bowled to himself....I haven't seen the movie.
Its simply the level played at....Its a great game, even when you are average, no buggrr remembers your gaffes, if youplay at the level I played at, you get picked simply because the ball might hit you in the field and you stop a single ffs!..Its cricket, its so subtle you can say owt, no f.ooker notices.
I mean Sheffield Sunday league football is a totally different kettle of crap....You volley the ball into yer own net and you can't say
"It turned in "..yer simply crap..no excuses...From a corner..I once went to clear an header, glanced it onto me own cross bar, it ricochets out from the cross bar, back to me...I shinned it and hit me own post..Captain screamed
"Which bloody side are you playing for"
I p*ssed meself with laughting, cos it I was like panic struck, and found it funny, but the rest of the team didn't and kept giving me a round of f ucks....you don't get that in cricket, cos its NEVER your fault, and no-one argues cos they have the same problem
Played in a DSL game against Philadelphia CC when they had Wasim Raja as pro. Him and our pro knew each other well and had played international cricket against each other.

There was one particular over when Raja was bowling his full bag of tricks to our pro, Azad, who was shouting out what each delivery was as it left Raja's hand - 'Orthodox', 'Googly', 'Outswinger', 'Inswinger' and so on. He took a single off the fifth ball, leaving me with one to face.

Wasim ripped his faster ball past my outside edge as I was about two weeks too late with my defensive prod.

'That was the faster one,' shouts Azad to me.

Yeah? Really? Go and take your f@cking head for a sh!te, and while you're on, f@ck off until you can't f@ck off any more.

Twat!

Back