Getting in to playing at an older age

PeteFTM

Winger
Is this possible/anyone done it?

When I say older, I’m not old, but stopped playing at 11 to focus on other sports. I’m now mid 30’s and quite certain I’d be absolutely shite at cricket.

However, I’ve seen videos of blokes about 80 year old wicketkeeping and feel like that’d be my level.

I know nowt about local leagues nowadays, but I’ve seen some local ones have a thirds team, can I be certain that they’d be mostly cack and therefore I wouldn’t be out of place with a bowling action that looks like a dog swimming?

When I say older, I’m not old, but stopped playing at 11 to focus on other sports. I’m now mid 30’s and quite certain I’d be absolutely shite at cricket.

However, I’ve seen videos of blokes about 80 year old wicketkeeping and feel like that’d be my level.

I know nowt about local leagues nowadays, but I’ve seen some local ones have a thirds team, can I be certain that they’d be mostly cack and therefore I wouldn’t be out of place with a bowling action that looks like a dog swimming?

Have a look at the leagues for next year, see which one has a third team nearest you, see if they have a Facebook page and send them an IM. Most have her sessions, pop along and have a bash. Worth turning up at games in the summer just for the social occasion. If they're short I'm sure they'd rather have any old duffer at third man rather than play with 10 people.

I’ve played Langbaurgh league where you see teams with a right mix of age and abilities and that’s what helps make the league great. In fact my old side last season had a bloke in his 70s who’s played all his life, 12 year old kids, their parents who were there as lifts but play when needed too and an opening bowler being an ex NYSD Prem opening bowler in his 30s.

I stopped at 16 and started again in my mid 40s and played 3 or 4 seasons helping out the 2nds where my lad plays.

I was generally shite and quite often did nowt but field. I could still run about so my fielding off the ground was OK but my catching was dreadful :lol:

Even though the standard was generally pitiful it was still harder than it had looked watching.

Still, it was good laugh and good to be involved in team sport again (I stopped playing footy when I was 40).

I’d suggest finding out when they net and get yersel down there and see how it goes.

I’ve been thinking this too. I’m 32 and have never played (only really started watching about 3 years ago) but it’s my favourite sport and I’d love to have a go at playing it.
Very similar story to me, I watch it over Football but it’s only been for the past few years. I know I’ll be shite, but I just fancy having a go and seeing what it’s like being involved rather than just watching and offering my shite opinions

I also want to get my kids into cricket over Football as local Football is infested with bellwhiffs
I stopped at 16 and started again in my mid 40s and played 3 or 4 seasons helping out the 2nds where my lad plays.

I was generally shite and quite often did nowt but field. I could still run about so my fielding off the ground was OK but my catching was dreadful :lol:

Even though the standard was generally pitiful it was still harder than it had looked watching.

Still, it was good laugh and good to be involved in team sport again (I stopped playing footy when I was 40).

I’d suggest finding out when they net and get yersel down there and see how it goes.
This is the experience I was hoping to hear, I just fancy playing for fun and having a laugh. I’m done with taking sport seriously… unless I turn out to be class then I’ll be a cricket snob

Last edited:
Go for it, clubs always need players. I played a lot as a junior, stop playing at 18 and didn’t start again until my early 40’s. I’m past 50 now and still playing NEPL 2nds and 3rds. It’s great crack and not too serious at that level.

Check out the NEPL, DNECL, NYSD and NTCL leagues, there’s plenty of choice of clubs - Winter nets are just starting too so it’s a good time to get involved with a club.

Go for it, clubs always need players. I played a lot as a junior, stop playing at 18 and didn’t start again until my early 40’s. I’m past 50 now and still playing NEPL 2nds and 3rds. It’s great crack and not too serious at that level.

Check out the NEPL, DNECL, NYSD and NTCL leagues, there’s plenty of choice of clubs - Winter nets are just starting too so it’s a good time to get involved with a club.
Brilliant, cheers for that I will get searching, beats putting an advert in the local paper “Looking For Shite Cricket Club Who Need Players”

Where are you based? Im sure we can name a few local clubs to contact. Most will have 3rd teams that play midweek who are more social but if you are any good you’ll end up being drafted in to play Saturdays.

Where are you based? Im sure we can name a few local clubs to contact. Most will have 3rd teams that play midweek who are more social but if you are any good you’ll end up being drafted in to play Saturdays.

This. There’ll be plenty of clubs with Sunday 3rd teams where you could easily slot in if you’re keen enough. I’m not sure what the midweek scene is like nowadays as it’s years since I’ve played but I’m fairly sure there’s still a league going.

Not its not hard to get into. Like riding a bike, hard to begin with but you find your rhythm with some practice.

Just expensive,time consuming(fielding is f***ing shit) and find it's quite cliquey.

Albeit I'm talking from a Northumberland point of view. Durham less miles to cover.

This. There’ll be plenty of clubs with Sunday 3rd teams where you could easily slot in if you’re keen enough. I’m not sure what the midweek scene is like nowadays as it’s years since I’ve played but I’m fairly sure there’s still a league going.

Saturday teams in divisions 5/6 of the DNECL are often short of players too. Where are you based @PeteFTM?

Thanks for the help lads, I’ve contacted a club to see when the training starts.

Will update as to how it goes. Looks easy on the tele so I’m expecting big things
My next question is how much is an acceptable amount to spend on a bat at that level?

Need to find the balance of not buying a Fischer Price bat, but not looking like an all the gear no idea wanker when I look like I’m trying to swat flies

Last edited:
Thanks for the help lads, I’ve contacted a club to see when the training starts.

Will update as to how it goes. Looks easy on the tele so I’m expecting big things
My next question is how much is an acceptable amount to spend on a bat at that level?

Need to find the balance of not buying a Fischer Price bat, but not looking like an all the gear no idea wanker when I look like I’m trying to swat flies

My current bat, a Gray Nicholls Maverick was bought of eBay for £80. It retailed when new at £225 - so I would say that it’s more than possible to get a top of the range bat for an affordable price.

Ebay or facebook marketplace is normally pretty good

My current bat, a Gray Nicholls Maverick was bought of eBay for £80. It retailed when new at £225 - so I would say that it’s more than possible to get a top of the range bat for an affordable price.
Cheers, a lot to learn with equipment like, reckon I’ll just turn up in shorts and t shirt first session, see how shite I am and budget accordingly. If I’m proper proper shite I’ll just for Argos quality

I look back to the first meeting of the SMB CC at Wearmouth Colliery which iirc was in 2010

it was the day Darren Bent (I had a radio) scored a winner v nufc for spurs

at least one lad there that day has sadly passed away

Cheers, a lot to learn with equipment like, reckon I’ll just turn up in shorts and t shirt first session, see how shite I am and budget accordingly. If I’m proper proper shite I’ll just for Argos quality

Don't buy new gear even if you are enjoying it and want to play on a weekend. You'll get dogs abuse from the opposition if you turn up in sparkling pads, gloves, shoes, whites.

Don't buy new gear even if you are enjoying it and want to play on a weekend. You'll get dogs abuse from the opposition if you turn up in sparkling pads, gloves, shoes, whites.
I’ll just get my kids to bowl at me in the garden for the afternoon in my full kit before wearing it at a match

If I get picked, I’m fairly certain I’ll be cack

Back