FA Cup finalist no longer qualifies for Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lets be honest teams like us Hull,Swansea and the like just don't have the strength of squads to compete in Europe and maintain our position in the prem league. Any money Southampton don't do as well in league next year as a consequence.

Lets be honest teams like us Hull,Swansea and the like just don't have the strength of squads to compete in Europe and maintain our position in the prem league. Any money Southampton don't do as well in league next year as a consequence.

You can say that again

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/32358581

Sorry if SEB but I've just seen this. Basically teams can no longer qualify for Europe via reaching the final of the FA Cup (like Hull did last year). An extra European place is allocated to the league.

Bad news for us. It means that we would have to finish top 6 or 7 (depending on the domestic cup winners) to ever qualify. Not that its going to happen anytime soon :lol:
I blame all those small clubs having the nerve to reach the final just to devalue a prestigious European competition/Channel 5.

It made sense when it was the 'cup winners' cup, as that place couldn't really be allocated to a league place. Now it's the uefa cup, it makes sense to scrap the place for cup runners up

Stop the 3rd place champion league group teams dropping into the Europa league, then the two Europa league finalists get stright into champions league group stage following season and two losing semi finalists get into last qualifying round of CL

Would breath new life into the competion

Theres more chance of me shitting gold bars tomorrow morning.
The 3rd place thingy only exists because it keeps the CL groups "alive" for longer. Without it half the groups would be ower after four games with the resultant viewing figures. The CL is UEFAs cashcow and the Europa league is nowt more than window dressing for the little big men to con the fans into thinking theyre dining at the big boys table.
We're worst off out of it.

I blame all those small clubs having the nerve to reach the final just to devalue a prestigious European competition/Channel 5.

Brum getting through by winning the LC and being in the Championship got UEFA thinking. Itll end up with only top flight clubs allowed.

Theres more chance of me shitting gold bars tomorrow morning.
The 3rd place thingy only exists because it keeps the CL groups "alive" for longer. Without it half the groups would be ower after four games with the resultant viewing figures. The CL is UEFAs cashcow and the Europa league is nowt more than window dressing for the little big men to con the fans into thinking theyre dining at the big boys table.
We're worst off out of it.

I am not doubting that and I agree with everything you say

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/32358581

Sorry if SEB but I've just seen this. Basically teams can no longer qualify for Europe via reaching the final of the FA Cup (like Hull did last year). An extra European place is allocated to the league.

Bad news for us. It means that we would have to finish top 6 or 7 (depending on the domestic cup winners) to ever qualify. Not that its going to happen anytime soon :lol:
Didnt know that, thanks

Stop the 3rd place champion league group teams dropping into the Europa league, then the two Europa league finalists get stright into champions league group stage following season and two losing semi finalists get into last qualifying round of CL

Would breath new life into the competion
It's funny UEFA had a crisis trying to make the Europa League more respectable and instead of doing what you suggest just hoyed a Champions League place at it instead. Also fuck this group stage shite, get them straight into knockout rounds like the FA Cup.

About time. Hull City qualified for Europe by virtue of beating Sheffield United in the semi. And then there was the mags a few years ago making Europe after getting royaly hammered in two finals.

If you've not enjoyed playing FC Zurich the season after a cup final defeat you've never lived.

So your not allowed in europa league for reaching a final.

But

You can reach the champions league finishing 4th.

Football is fucked

Good chance England is gonna lose its 4th Champions League place in a couple of years time, so it makes no sense for the cup runners up to get a Europa League spot.

In the last 20 years the Champions League was won 7 times by teams who were not champions of their own leagues.

In the last 20 years the Champions League was won 7 times by teams who were not champions of their own leagues.

Throughout European competition though quite often the best teams for any particular season are not reigning champions. The CL has just given these sides the opportunity to claim the top prize.

Disgrace of a competition anyway.

Winners of leagues and cups around Europe = CHAMPIONS league.
Runners up of leagues and cups around Europe = UEFA Cup.

Should be the way it is. Champions league on a Tuesday. UEFA cup on a Wednesday.

Big clubs win again ?
It stops a club like Hull, or dare I say SAFC, ever getting into Europe again and getting the financial rewards that may give a foothold to threaten the elite.
Also stops a team like Millwall getting into Europe without playing a Premier League club.

Fook Europe until that stupid Europa League is sorted out. (Top 4 finished notwithstanding of course)

The competition starts in fookin July and doesn't finish til May.

Ridiculous.
So does the champions league?

Edit:the champions league starts before the europa league by 2 days :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back