F1 2023

Final thoughts on the season

Max is an even bigger prick than I’d thought before

Checo is a lower calibre of driver than i’ve ever realised

George is a bit of a toffy berk

Lewis is losing a bit of his magic and hope

And that was the worst season of F1 i’ve ever witnessed

One positive has come from at times in qualy and races apart from Max a really close field
Sprinkle on top of what you've said a load of plastic fake glamour from Liberty (in preparation to flog F1 off to the PIF lot in the near future*) and it has been absolutely lifting.

I remember at the time thinking 2013 would never be topped in terms of utterly dross years for the sport but this year has been at least twice as bad.

Luckily SAFC have been a treat to watch for most of this year and there have also been some welcome distractions such as the BTCC to watch.

*when that happens I am officially done watching Formula 1 after 29 years.
Watched the Ecclestone documentary earlier in the year (worth a watch unless you already have), and I miss when the sport didn't have all the plastic claptrap PR nonsense dossed all over it and most people watched because of the racing and technology involved rather than because of reality TV shite such as DTS.

As tedious as it was watching the Ferrari/Brawn/Todt/Schumacher years at the time at least the sport didn't have the right grounds to breed monumental helmets such as Horner, who would have been told to get back in his place had an Ecclestone been running the show still**.

** Not saying I loved Bernie, but I preferred his running of the sport in comparison to Liberty now.
A hugely unpopular opinion I know.

Last edited:

Sprinkle on top of what you've said a load of plastic fake glamour from Liberty (in preparation to flog F1 off to the PIF lot in the near future*) and it has been absolutely lifting.

I remember at the time thinking 2013 would never be topped in terms of utterly dross years for the sport but this year has been at least twice as bad.

Luckily SAFC have been a treat to watch for most of this year and there have also been some welcome distractions such as the BTCC to watch.

*when that happens I am officially done watching Formula 1 after 29 years.
Watched the Ecclestone documentary earlier in the year (worth a watch unless you already have), and I miss when the sport didn't have all the plastic claptrap PR nonsense dossed all over it and most people watched because of the racing and technology involved rather than because of reality TV shite such as DTS.

As tedious as it was watching the Ferrari/Brawn/Todt/Schumacher years at the time at least the sport didn't have the right grounds to breed monumental helmets such as Horner, who would have been told to get back in his place had an Ecclestone been running the show still**.

** Not saying I loved Bernie, but I preferred his running of the sport in comparison to Liberty now.
A hugely unpopular opinion I know.
100% mate

Liberty, money and the show before the racing alongside Red Bull, Horner and Max have ruined a sport i’ve enjoyed for the most part of 40 year I grew up watching it with my dad was at Silverstone ‘91, Imola ‘94 and i’m now considering for the first time not watching the sport from the time Lewis retires as none of the drivers will hold my interest, I cant stand Max and the regs, the glitz and show and the racing nothing is worth the time to scan through the highlights

100% mate

Liberty, money and the show before the racing alongside Red Bull, Horner and Max have ruined a sport i’ve enjoyed for the most part of 40 year I grew up watching it with my dad was at Silverstone ‘91, Imola ‘94 and i’m now considering for the first time not watching the sport from the time Lewis retires as none of the drivers will hold my interest, I cant stand Max and the regs, the glitz and show and the racing nothing is worth the time to scan through the highlights
This is why I find MotoGP far more entertaining.

F1 used to have massive characters not all of them likeable but always watchable.

Niki Lauda, Nelson Piquet, Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher were all giants of F1 and the show, the racing was better.

Lewis and Fernando are the last two from a bygone generation and the new crop of drivers, and the new racing, is just not as good. Combined with the new tracks we are served up and my interest is on the wane.

F1 used to have massive characters not all of them likeable but always watchable.

Niki Lauda, Nelson Piquet, Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher were all giants of F1 and the show, the racing was better.

Lewis and Fernando are the last two from a bygone generation and the new crop of drivers, and the new racing, is just not as good. Combined with the new tracks we are served up and my interest is on the wane.

Again i fully understand and respect that, i’ve always had a side interest in moto gp and the isle of man and watched a lot of moto gp when Vettel was dominating with red bull and F1 was quite sterile then loved Rossi but then there was a few deaths and I lost it a bit with it

I get that people dislike red bull, Max and his dad but it’s sad that impacts on how little praise Adrian Newey gets.

Biggest disappointment of the season was the Aston’s going backwards. They took red bull staff before the season, had a very red bull like car and loads more tunnel time but steadily went backwards.

I get that people dislike red bull, Max and his dad but it’s sad that impacts on how little praise Adrian Newey gets.

Biggest disappointment of the season was the Aston’s going backwards. They took red bull staff before the season, had a very red bull like car and loads more tunnel time but steadily went backwards.
Newey is a genius but he’s got a slight unfair advantage with these regs because he’s the only active designer with previous experience of working in the last ground effect era

Newey is a genius but he’s got a slight unfair advantage with these regs because he’s the only active designer with previous experience of working in the last ground effect era
And the slight advantage that the team he works for cheated and breached the cost cap. The development that released has resulted in the utterly dominant Red Bull car. Yes he is a genius. But Red Bull did breach the rules and were fined and restricted in their aero testing

i thought last years car was newey's pièce de résistance, but then this year knocked that one out the park. newey really is the goat of f1 car design... the lotus 79 was always seen as the greatest ground effects car ever made (although fw07 was close), but rb19 must now be the best ground effects car ever. to me newey peaked with fw14b...

would highly recommend his book How to Build a Car to anyone with a passing interest in his career.

Tell me Jeff, how many times have you said this. Do remind me... Any answer which is sub-50 is not acceptable, like.

F1 is like moat other sports, sold out yo the highest bidder: we've just got to make the best of it. I don't knowwho owns this moped racing you bang on about but it does nowt for me.
100% mate

I go back a lot further than you and have seen some dross served up, both in person and on TV. For me, we need to take the good bits out of what's on offer now... the clock won't go backwards.

Last edited:
It isn't a sport if the same team/person wins all the time.
It is not competition its a procession
or a team cheats and is not reprimanded for it, or the effective referee doesn't know or apply the rules properly, or penalizing a car for being damaged by the track. Or continuously allying themselves with good causes only to cosy up to corrupt, murderous governments who use slave labour to build sports arenas and dangerous tracks. Or if the only racing that occurs is due to tyre condition etc etc etc...

its just not for me anymore

or a team cheats and is not reprimanded for it, or the effective referee doesn't know or apply the rules properly, or penalizing a car for being damaged by the track. Or continuously allying themselves with good causes only to cosy up to corrupt, murderous governments who use slave labour to build sports arenas and dangerous tracks. Or if the only racing that occurs is due to tyre condition etc etc etc...

its just not for me anymore

Agreed... the Caliphate Jihadies have also set up something called LIV golf, it is not competition as the PGA and the the DP world tour is. Bur lots and lots of sportswashing money 💰

Tell me Jeff, how many times have you said this. Do remind me... Any answer which is sub-50 is not acceptable, like.

F1 is like moat other sports, sold out yo the highest bidder: we've just got to make the best of it. I don't knowwho owns this moped racing you bang on about but it does nowt for me.

I go back a lot further than you and have seen some dross served up, both in person and on TV. For me, we need to take the good bits out of what's on offer now... the clock won't go backwards.
What would you class the current good bits as ?!?!

Some of the racing down the field has been good to watch... don't get me wrong, it requires suspension of belief in the existence of MV, but we have seen some decent overtaking this year.

Glass half full!
Ahhh i get that but i think theres always been half decent battles and overtakes down the field and yes the regs have made the field generally a bit closer overall but they havent done what they were meant to and thats not just down to Max and Newey

There havent been midfield teams winning and generally at the front ( which the sports always known for and held up to ) there hasnt been any real amazing battles and competition for race wins in anything but maybe 2/3 races this season and in a season of 23 races 10% isnt any where good enough and makes a glass half full approach a challenge, well played for managing it !

Back