Email from Gus

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bangkok Black Cat

Something that we were trying to put right from what we have seen thus far in the season is how we can look like a different team in each half of a game.

We need time to address that and time to convince the players that things need to be done a certain way to be able to perform for 90 minutes, at the moment, it’s not there.

The aim was to make sure we gave no chances to Swansea and from there, it was a question about what would happen if we conceded a goal.

As a manager you learn a lot from watching your players on the pitch - you can see which ones turn it up a gear and which ones put their heads down [after conceding a goal.]

The biggest thing for me today is that I have learned a lot from my players.

It’s not an excuse, but five or six of the players in the team today have not been with me for the last two weeks. They were able to play their part today but not for the full game.

At this level, if you’re losing a game 1-0 or 2-0, you are still in the game, it’s very important we stay in the game until the last minute and that’s something we need to make sure we do.

It’s early, I don’t want to talk too much, but I do want to make sure that we learn from the game today.

We didn’t do what we needed to do and we paid the price.

All the best,
Gus Poyet
Match reaction from Gus Poyet

Logon or register to see this image

SWANSEA CITY 4 SUNDERLAND 0

Dear SCOTT,

Something that we were trying to put right from what we have seen thus far in the season is how we can look like a different team in each half of a game.

We need time to address that and time to convince the players that things need to be done a certain way to be able to perform for 90 minutes, at the moment, it’s not there.

The aim was to make sure we gave no chances to Swansea and from there, it was a question about what would happen if we conceded a goal.
As a manager you learn a lot from watching your players on the pitch - you can see which ones turn it up a gear and which ones put their heads down [after conceding a goal.]
It’s not an excuse, but five or six of the players in the team today have not been with me for the last two weeks. They were able to play their part today but not for the full game.

At this level, if you’re losing a game 1-0 or 2-0, you are still in the game, it’s very important we stay in the game until the last minute and that’s something we need to make sure we do.
It’s early, I don’t want to talk too much, but I do want to make sure that we learn from the game today.

All the best,
Gus Poyet
[DOUBLEPOST=1382202141][/DOUBLEPOST]Dear Gus,

Thanks for your email. Kindly do not insult our intelligence ever again by playing Phil Bardsley, Craig Gardner or Sebastian Larsson.

All the best,

Sunderland fans

Got a canny collection of these in my inbox, by keano, brucie, ricky, mon, pdc now poyet.

Excuse after excuse.

What's worrying about the email is ,
He appears to blaming our second half performance on 5or6 players who were away on WC duty and therefor not able to get his tactics ingrained .
Which suggests that he is not blaming bardsley or gardner who he has had with him for two weeks.
Clearly he doesn't appear to attach any of the blame to his negative tactics either.

The second para says it all "we need to convince the players" FFS do not pander to them Gus they are shite

Thanks for your email. Kindly do not insult our intelligence ever again by playing Phil Bardsley, Craig Gardner or Sebastian Larsson.

All the best,

Sunderland fans[/quote]

The expectations of Poyet and criticism of his decisions today are a little baffling. If I had taken over a dysfunctional organization where a clique of players were believed to be running the show and getting the manager sacked I would have done exactly what he did. Put the clique out on the field. Allow them to play their preferred positions (Many concede that Bardsley played his best at LB for us, Gardner prefers to play midfield as does Colback, etc.). And then let them show me what they've got. As he said, he's learned a lot. It's how he applies the knowledge over the next couple of months that will be interesting.

All the best,
Gus Poyet
Match reaction from Gus Poyet

SWANSEA CITY 4 SUNDERLAND 0

Dear SCOTT,

All the best,
Gus Poyet

All the best,

Sunderland fans
Well he certainly got two different teams alright. Effective first half and careless/couldn't give a shit in the second!

How about even giving a thought to scoring a goal ?
All he talks about is what to do if we concede

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back