David Lloyd v JD Gyms

They've started the refurb of the changing rooms at David Lloyd this week. Doing all changing rooms, reception etc. Photos of what it will look like is really nice.

They've started the refurb of the changing rooms at David Lloyd this week. Doing all changing rooms, reception etc. Photos of what it will look like is really nice.
Mate of mine works there, he’s visited teeside this week. They have big sauna, plunge pool, ice baths, sounds good. Their membership will be sky high no doubt.

good they are refurbishing the changing rooms. Shame they can’t find space for a bigger sauna like. Always looks cosy if there’s two people in.

Mate of mine works there, he’s visited teeside this week. They have big sauna, plunge pool, ice baths, sounds good. Their membership will be sky high no doubt.

good they are refurbishing the changing rooms. Shame they can’t find space for a bigger sauna like. Always looks cosy if there’s two people in.
They have another tier of membership down at teesside. No access to spa side of things if you don't pay. Think it's a hefty chunk of wedge on top of membership. They still have sauna, steam and jacuzzi as part of normal membership though. They are talking about that coming to all clubs that have the space. Sunderland has the space out the back you would think.

They have another tier of membership down at teesside. No access to spa side of things if you don't pay. Think it's a hefty chunk of wedge on top of membership. They still have sauna, steam and jacuzzi as part of normal membership though. They are talking about that coming to all clubs that have the space. Sunderland has the space out the back you would think.
Where the overflow car park is?

I did think it was separate like. Love a steam room me. Like I say I just wish the sauna was bigger.

Where the overflow car park is?

I did think it was separate like. Love a steam room me. Like I say I just wish the sauna was bigger.
Only what the lad said when I signed up. Which might be bollocks!
I know teesside took away a smaller gym and built into the outdoor pool area so they lost space there to build the spa. Their sauna is unisex around the pool and much larger, works better than the shed esque one we have.

Only what the lad said when I signed up. Which might be bollocks!
I know teesside took away a smaller gym and built into the outdoor pool area so they lost space there to build the spa. Their sauna is unisex around the pool and much larger, works better than the shed esque one we have.
Terrible isn’t it. I generally don’t use it to be honest. Think they’ll close the outdoor pool this year?

It’s not cheap DL like, I’m paying £73 a month for platinum. I’m doing a lot of swimming though and love the steam room. Saturday morning I do gym/swim/jacuzzi and steam then have my breakfast there. Thinking of joining the squash club. Perfectly fine after work in peak times. Just up the road so can also go on my lunch.

JD I think was £21.99 a month. Complete write off between half 4 and 7. Just can’t do specific muscle groups as it’s a case of just go on any machine that’s free. Far too busy. I was finding I was going and rushing through a session as I didn’t want to be there.
73 per month ouch
Washington is 20 per month if you pay up front for year.
Includes large pool, sauna,steam, big gym and all classes including spin kettlebells to name a few also 5 aside courts n squash/badminton
Washy leading the way tbf

73 per month ouch
Washington is 20 per month if you pay up front for year.
Includes large pool, sauna,steam, big gym and all classes including spin kettlebells to name a few also 5 aside courts n squash/badminton
Washy leading the way tbf
Yeah buts it’s council run and full of scratters. Car park is abysmal to get parked in peak hours

Yeah buts it’s council run and full of scratters. Car park is abysmal to get parked in peak hours
Not so sure mate really decent centre full of good folk no gym posers or charvers,
parking fine now they got a Cctv key in system for members but hey u crack on and pay 73 per month while us cool kids pay 20 👌suppose we washy folk should keep it quiet don’t want any dodgy lot in 😂

Last edited:
Not so sure mate really decent centre full of good folk no gym posers or charvers,
parking fine now they got a Cctv key in system for members but hey u crack on and pay 73 per month while us cool kids pay 20 👌
Will do. Was in the pool and jacuzzi by myself today. School holidays as well. Love it.

U paid 3 times what I paid and I had a great time too 😂

Changing rooms at washy are great load of showers nice and modern not like the overpriced DL ☺️
You seem to have something against DL? I wouldn’t say a health club at £73 is overpriced like. I wouldn’t expect the local leisure centre to be that much but then there’s no outdoor pool, no where to have a pint after, no where to have a decent lunch and isn’t 5mins from my house.

Do you work at Washy leisure centre or something?

You seem to have something against DL? I wouldn’t say a health club at £73 is overpriced like. I wouldn’t expect the local leisure centre to be that much but then there’s no outdoor pool, no where to have a pint after, no where to have a decent lunch and isn’t 5mins from my house.

Been to DL many times so called health club is what u make it or use it for.
fair play if u feel u getting good service,
but don’t see the value in it over Washy centre which I think is better value for money,
50+ per month cheaper or £600 per year.
I am lucky enough too spend 2-4 hours per day in the centre getting a good workout or classes, badminton squash and table tennis then finish with a swim, sauna and steam.
Do you work at DL or something?
Been to DL many times so called health club is what u make it or use it for.
fair play if u feel u getting good service,
but don’t see the value in it over Washy centre which I think is better value for money,
50+ per month cheaper or £600 per year.
I am lucky enough too spend 2-4 hours per day in the centre getting a good workout or classes, badminton squash and table tennis then finish with a swim, sauna and steam.
Do you work at DL or something?
I know for a fact if I do my workouts in either centre the results will be the same, just my wallet be a bit more bulkier if I use washy 💪

Looking for a badminton pair to play me and my mate we just started after a lapse of 40 years we both retired now so just living the dream 👍
we no experts but up for a match normally book a court for every Tuesday at 11 if you DL health clubbies fancy roughing it 😂

Last edited:
Thing that made me decide on David Lloyd was the stuff for the bairn, football, swimming, karate,scooter club, arts and crafts etc. She loves it. Means I can go to the gym while she's in a safe place enjoying herself. I can chill out and also meams me and the mrs don't need to go at seperate times to train or do a class. It's worth it just for that.
She's also getting 3 to 1 ratio swimming lessons which has advanced her so much. She can swim the length of the pool at 4yr old.

Loads of fat mags at David Lloyd again tonight. Why they feel the need to proudly boast their gravy stains in a gym of all places is baffling. Can tell they don’t even lift

JD gyms numbers must be declining like mad. The fiver for 3 months 0 joining fee going on longer than the DFS sale and they've actually getting new stuff in.

They still have the worst boxing bags I've ever used mind and I've been hitting bags since I was 5.

JD gyms numbers must be declining like mad. The fiver for 3 months 0 joining fee going on longer than the DFS sale and they've actually getting new stuff in.

They still have the worst boxing bags I've ever used mind and I've been hitting bags since I was 5.
I left their as I was sick of groups of teens hanging around the kit without working out.

Nominating JD Gyms Darlo for the worst gym I’ve ever seen.

Lass lives down there and I have a membership where you can use any gym so had a look in and wished you could un-see things.

2 floors so you’d imagine it’ll be same layout as Sunderland. But nah.

Top floor is just 1 big studio which means all the cardio stuff and cable machines are crammed in with the free weights area. I’m not even claustrophobic but I felt it just looking at it.

Just looked at Teesside David Lloyd pricing and it's a whopping £134/month if you want to use the spa side of things and £119 without. Crazy prices. Has anyone been to the gym there lately? I hear it's been refurbished and wondering if it's any good? Also, does anyone know if you can haggle the price at all, say for off peak times or something?
I used to like the David Lloyd in Oxford years ago when I lived there and used the Teesside one when I was back home a few times and wasn't that impressed back then, although the heated outdoor pool was nice. I've been using the Onegym and am looking to upgrade to the health club style of place but the price is a bit steep. Another negative is that the Newcasstle one isn't included in the list of other gyms you can use although you can use the Sunderland one.

Back