David Lloyd v JD Gyms

Had the 14 day trial recently and loved the swimming/spa side of it. Bit the bullet and signed up. Not cheap but will review after a year. Good thing is I can get there in 10mins so will go on lunch when it’s less busy.

For those who go to JD, they’ve installed new equipment in the middle, replacing the white pin machines. Too little too late for me. It’s been a pain since covid. Haven’t replaced the TVs, equipment always breaking down, ridiculously busy at 5pm and people just abandoning their cars right outside the door just got on my tits.

Looking forward to a new gym and hopefully rejuvenating me a bit as I was a bit stale at JD.

Any reason? Too busy?

There were some quirks I didn’t like during the trial but we’ll see.

I'm turning into a recluse I think. People just get on my wires. Too many coked up McGregor wannabes, idiots taking their phone into the sauna, idiots unable to train without a mate or phone to talk to every 30 seconds. Changing rooms are shite.

I have no doubt many other gyms are the same.

I'm turning into a recluse I think. People just get on my wires. Too many coked up McGregor wannabes, idiots taking their phone into the sauna, idiots unable to train without a mate or phone to talk to every 30 seconds. Changing rooms are shite.

I have no doubt many other gyms are the same.
Agree with the changing rooms mind. Apparantly they are the same as when it first opened. I totally get what you mean as I’m the same. People do my head in.

Someone I know asked me to train with him last week and he spent the whole of my set and then a good 40 secs of his on his phone. Just sitting there texting whilst I was waiting.

Suppose the same could be said for JD and other gyms.

Loved JD's when it first opened, it's just become a glorified Pure Gym at this point.

Half the machines broken, weights left everywhere, arseholes on their phones for 20 minutes while sat there doing nothing, the Boxing bags sums up how much the place has declined, they were both ripped/borderline unusable for a good 2-3 months then replaced with some shite ones you find on wish.com. The sauna's are nice though and it's quite literally the only appeal to it

Had the 14 day trial recently and loved the swimming/spa side of it. Bit the bullet and signed up. Not cheap but will review after a year. Good thing is I can get there in 10mins so will go on lunch when it’s less busy.

For those who go to JD, they’ve installed new equipment in the middle, replacing the white pin machines. Too little too late for me. It’s been a pain since covid. Haven’t replaced the TVs, equipment always breaking down, ridiculously busy at 5pm and people just abandoning their cars right outside the door just got on my tits.

Looking forward to a new gym and hopefully rejuvenating me a bit as I was a bit stale at JD.
The bicep / tricep and new lateral raise machine are welcome additions but the rest of the new stuff is utter shite.

They've took away the incline press machine completely and just put in the new pully flat press which is awful (handles are in bizarre positions and not amendable), the drop off is absolutely shite and it always feels imbalanced as you can feel the weight jittering on the rope, The same can be said for the new shoulder press machine. I don't know what the fuck the 'Back extension machine' even does or how that's meant to isolate your back in a better way than anything else but I've seen every dickhead flying backwards and forwards on it like they're on Space Mountain at Disneyland.

Such a bad gym full of complete melons but your stuck for options close by.

I cancelled with JD Sunderland and go to DL now - JD was a class gym before covid but seemed to get progressively worse with nothing spent on maintaining or enhancing it. And the fact they’ve got no proper power rack was annoying, as were the ridiculous number of lasses doing hip thrusts. DL does need an upgrade though, and I’m sick of asking them where the 42kg dumbbells are.

I’ve been trying Onegym at Ryhope lately and it’s a quality gym, equipment 10/10 and they’ve clearly listened to what people want, which isn’t a (dys)functional area with monkey bars. It’s suffering from an influx of roidheads at the moment as all new gyms are but this will taper off.

I cancelled with JD Sunderland and go to DL now - JD was a class gym before covid but seemed to get progressively worse with nothing spent on maintaining or enhancing it. And the fact they’ve got no proper power rack was annoying, as were the ridiculous number of lasses doing hip thrusts. DL does need an upgrade though, and I’m sick of asking them where the 42kg dumbbells are.

I’ve been trying Onegym at Ryhope lately and it’s a quality gym, equipment 10/10 and they’ve clearly listened to what people want, which isn’t a (dys)functional area with monkey bars. It’s suffering from an influx of roidheads at the moment as all new gyms are but this will taper off.
Agree about nothing being done since covid. The Washington gym is infuriating.

Just had a swim at DL, was the only one in the pool for a good while. I’m impressed if only the gym was slightly better and bigger.
The bicep / tricep and new lateral raise machine are welcome additions but the rest of the new stuff is utter shite.

They've took away the incline press machine completely and just put in the new pully flat press which is awful (handles are in bizarre positions and not amendable), the drop off is absolutely shite and it always feels imbalanced as you can feel the weight jittering on the rope, The same can be said for the new shoulder press machine. I don't know what the fuck the 'Back extension machine' even does or how that's meant to isolate your back in a better way than anything else but I've seen every dickhead flying backwards and forwards on it like they're on Space Mountain at Disneyland.

Such a bad gym full of complete melons but your stuck for options close by.
I did have a feeling the nee equipment wouldn’t improve. I cancelled without even finding out to be honest.

Agree about nothing being done since covid. The Washington gym is infuriating.

Just had a swim at DL, was the only one in the pool for a good while. I’m impressed if only the gym was slightly better and bigger.

I did have a feeling the nee equipment wouldn’t improve. I cancelled without even finding out to be honest.

The pool and spa are class like. I like working/studying from there, hitting the gym then lounging about in the Jacuzzi. Get my moneys worth. The staff probably think I’m homeless :lol:

Loved JD's when it first opened, it's just become a glorified Pure Gym at this point.

Half the machines broken, weights left everywhere, arseholes on their phones for 20 minutes while sat there doing nothing, the Boxing bags sums up how much the place has declined, they were both ripped/borderline unusable for a good 2-3 months then replaced with some shite ones you find on wish.com. The sauna's are nice though and it's quite literally the only appeal to it
Mobile phone use is really ruining gyms like, kills the whole vibe and is depressing as fuck. Waiting for equipment that someone is on half arsed with stints between sets starting at his blower is rage inducing.

DL is good if you like the gym and use it. If you can thro the day is a bonus as its a fkn mare from 4.30-7. I miss the pools and sauna but they dont maintain things enough for me. Wouldnt happen down south in their posh places!

Mobile phone use is really ruining gyms like, kills the whole vibe and is depressing as fuck. Waiting for equipment that someone is on half arsed with stints between sets starting at his blower is rage inducing.

I'm generally okay with a quick 30 second browse if you're resting in between sets. But writing full blown essays on Facebook while ya waiting for the fucker is bang out of order

I'm generally okay with a quick 30 second browse if you're resting in between sets. But writing full blown essays on Facebook while ya waiting for the fucker is bang out of order
Why though, 30 seconds browse man just focus on what you're doing for an hour and put your all into a workout. Guess the addiction isn't just at the gym like but you'd think people training would have more focus and motivation.

Why though, 30 seconds browse man just focus on what you're doing for an hour and put your all into a workout. Guess the addiction isn't just at the gym like but you'd think people training would have more focus and motivation.

Because you don't know if the person has any underlying mental health anxieties or confidence issues then in that case good on the person for even going, take a minute on the phone for all I care, but still don't take the piss with it inbetween sets.
The gym needs to be a place of sanctuary for all people, if we're gonna start making rules on what we can and can't do then the stigma of the gym being for the nuggets only is never gonna go away

Last edited:

Back