David Harker's Financial Mis-Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

That and Benks being given the elbow. IMHO colly has has too much say at the club since he came back.

Starting to stand out like a sore thumb

Very much so. When Tim Wellock is talking of tight purse strings to the extent where Buckley's inclusion may only have been to save money on not picking others then it really is beyond a joke.

We're in the shit on and off the field.

Does anyone know the possible damage a relegation could do? Will it be big or not so bad financially?

Very much so. When Tim Wellock is talking of tight purse strings to the extent where Buckley's inclusion may only have been to save money on not picking others then it really is beyond a joke.

Does anyone know the possible damage a relegation could do? Will it be big or not so bad financially?
Suspect it will mean Borthwick leaving. He should be considering it to develop his spinning anyway, not being in division 1 would probably be a clincher. Another year for Colly on the basis that he "can't let it end like this"?

Yeah i read that in this mornings Echo. Something about not selecting Morley even though he is the top wicket taker for the 2nds this season. Yet he and Buckley are both on the same development contracts. Could not understand what point he was making.

Suspect it will mean Borthwick leaving. He should be considering it to develop his spinning anyway, not being in division 1 would probably be a clincher. Another year for Colly on the basis that he "can't let it end like this"?
I think the biggest obstacle to Borthwick's development is the misconception that he'll develop as a leg spinner. Fact is there hasn't been a successful leg spinner in English cricket for 60 years-English wickets nowadays aren't conducive to leg spin. Scott should focus on his batting-there's a top order place going in the England team now Robson has been found out.

I wondered too what difference it would make - but then is there not some sort of payment due upon playing your first FC match?? Seeing how Buckley played last year, thus getting that payment they wouldn't have to give him it again. Maybe way off, just thought Wellock would know the crack.

Borthwick would be silly to stay and play Division Two cricket, Stokes too could leave in search of impressing the a England selectors playing in Division One.

I think the biggest obstacle to Borthwick's development is the misconception that he'll develop as a leg spinner. Fact is there hasn't been a successful leg spinner in English cricket for 60 years-English wickets nowadays aren't conducive to leg spin. Scott should focus on his batting-there's a top order place going in the England team now Robson has been found out.

Unless Scotty moves to open I can't see him shifting Ballance/Bell/Root anytime soon :confused:

Last edited:
I wondered too what difference it would make - but then is there not some sort of payment due upon playing your first FC match?? Seeing how Buckley played last year, thus getting that payment they wouldn't have to give him it again. Maybe way off, just thought Wellock would know the crack.

Borthwick would be silly to stay and play Division Two cricket, Stokes too could leave in search of impressing the a England selectors playing in Division One.

Unless Scotty moves to open I can't see him shifting Ballance/Bell/Root anytime soon :confused:
Yeah possibly if thats the case we are really in the clarts money wise. I thought it might have been due to the time of the season that he was not being retained for next season but unless it has changed i believe that all development players get a 2 year contract and this is the first year for Buckley and Morley.

Yeah i read that in this mornings Echo. Something about not selecting Morley even though he is the top wicket taker for the 2nds this season. Yet he and Buckley are both on the same development contracts. Could not understand what point he was making.

Morley has been told he is being released and has thus returned home. This is along with Rammy Singh being released.

Harker is surely making the best of what the owners are giving him

He's only Maggie Byrne

Surely it was because he wasn't making the best of what the owners were giving him that he was sacked- then reinstated because they wouldn't fund his severance.

Always found it odd when he was brought back to the club. I can't stand the bloke, horrible smug looking prat. He'll get some stick if he turns up at the next members forum. Doubt he will turn up, rarely see him at the games.

I think your 2 sentences are connected!

I was a big fan of Dale Benks and it was disgusting how he was just pushed aside by the club. Basically told to p!ss off despite him offering to stay on at the club to help out with coaching.

Look at how they dealt with Di Venuto, announced his retirement on the website 2 weeks after he told the club he was retiring.

Callum Thorp never got a thank you, Mitch Claydon never got a thank you, Blackwell didn't get a thank you either and neither did Will Smith despite him winning the title with us 3 times.

Harker is an absolute idiot, it's tragic how badly ran the club is with him still sniffing about. Yes we won the championship last season but everything clicked but we were all concerned for the following season given we knew how poor the finances were and with some players leaving.

Would hate to see the club relegated.

That middle paragraph is bang on. We won the title last year through a lot of things happening the right way on the field when we needed it too. Mainly youngsters constantly excelling themselves and putting in match winning performances.

This year it hasn't happened and to be fair you can't expect it to. We have a threadbare squad and have been exposed by numerous injuries to bowlers.

Relegation could absolutely ruin the club.

I was a big fan of Dale Benks and it was disgusting how he was just pushed aside by the club. Basically told to p!ss off despite him offering to stay on at the club to help out with coaching.

Look at how they dealt with Di Venuto, announced his retirement on the website 2 weeks after he told the club he was retiring.

Callum Thorp never got a thank you, Mitch Claydon never got a thank you, Blackwell didn't get a thank you either and neither did Will Smith despite him winning the title with us 3 times.

Harker is an absolute idiot, it's tragic how badly ran the club is with him still sniffing about. Yes we won the championship last season but everything clicked but we were all concerned for the following season given we knew how poor the finances were and with some players leaving.

Would hate to see the club relegated.
Not sure you can blame Harker for everything, the management of the players is down to the coaching staff. It would not have been Harkers decision which individual players are released. Surely any thanks would mean more from the head coach or the captain than the money man who sits in an office.

There was threads on this site 18 months ago about not being all hunky dory behind the scenes. Personally The first sign of it was when Diva suddenly chucked it. I think on this site omega man has been the most on the ball about what has been going on in the back ground with the different power struggles.

Not sure you can blame Harker for everything, the management of the players is down to the coaching staff. It would not have been Harkers decision which individual players are released. Surely any thanks would mean more from the head coach or the captain than the money man who sits in an office.

There was threads on this site 18 months ago about not being all hunky dory behind the scenes. Personally The first sign of it was when Diva suddenly chucked it. I think on this site omega man has been the most on the ball about what has been going on in the back ground with the different power struggles.

Aye but you can't blame the management for letting some players go. I can assure you now John Lewis would love to have been able to call on Will Smith and Callum Thorp at times this season (for example). I can assure you 1000% that the decision who leaves the club was out of the hands of the coaching staff, it was all purely financial, Lewis has said that numerous times. We got on well with Will Smith and he told us he was never offered a contract, likewise Thorp.

I know Omega Man personally so I know what he has said about various issues.

MDV basically couldn't cope anymore, he loved Durham but he wasn't 100% fitness wise and decided to retire, it was odd it took the club 2 weeks to announce it.

The only thing I won't blame Harker for is allowing Dale Benks to leave the club

I was at a 2nd XI 1 day game at Boro a few weeks ago and some of the players were having to wear shirts belonging to Chris Rushworth, are things really that bad that we cannot afford a personalised shirt or even just a blank shirt for a 2nd XI player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back