Congerton

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's definitely got a hard job, the thing that makes it hard these days is the fact that like you say players hold all the cards... If Borini wants to stay at Liverpool I think he could well make sure that he did and atleast ran his contract down. But if Borini and his agent do actually want the move but just want a bigger wage than we've offered then all he has to do is claim he has no desire to leave Liverpool. It's pretty shallow but we would all probably do the same if we were in his position.

Even the manager is starting to question his ability. At this point I think we are allowed to consider him a bit rubbish.

Even though i've no idea if this lads any good or a complete knacker i feel a bit of sympathy for his plight. His progress so far has been a tad slow but much of this season's annual shambles isn't down to him so i think he's probably swimming around in circles at the moment.
The reason i feel sorry for him is he's now got himself into a situation where he'll have to go the way of many others and pay over the top or face the consequences. The Borini situation is one where the player unfairly and undeservedly holds all the cards. Even though he's done well i don't think Borini merits so much power in these negotiations, it's all a bit one sided.
Either way, Congerton's head must be spinning. He has very little say or direct control in what's happening, almost at the hands of fate.
He isn't the man who got us into this mess but is he the man to get us out of it?? Has he got enough standing in the game to dig us out of this self-inflicted hole?? I hope so but i'm not convinced, this would be a big job for anyone.
so without knowing any of the facts it's borini's fault and he has too much power. He may be playing hardball but perhaps Liverpool have reneged on an understanding.
he hasn't asked for a transfer and maybe he expects a 'payoff' or compo as is quite common.
again the accusations of shambles all centre round your disappointment of colback leaving on a free. Let it go , the lad wanted away and other than a hardcore like yourself no one is that bothered.
read poyets latest missive. He's being mega diplomatic. We've done all we can, its between the lad and Liverpool.

Even the manager is starting to question his ability. At this point I think we are allowed to consider him a bit rubbish.
he has done no such thing.

Quite a few premature ejaculators on here.
The Dof role has little to do with this season's transfer problems.
Even on the points of last year's roller-coaster when we were on the up (like when we signed Gus for instance) those of us who looked ahead would have been concerned. A massive amount of players coming to the end of their contracts, a big pile of poo not coming to the end of theirs, our stand-out performers being mostly loanees, and living proof that massive squad overhauls just put you on the back foot at the start of a season. I am a big Gus fan, so it saddens me that his gamble with Scocco has backfired; I am also relieved that the scale of the financial disaster on this one is smaller than so many of our recent transfer debacles.

I was not surprised when Gus offered contracts to Larsson, Colback, Bardsley and tried to sign up the likes of Vergini and Alonso. None of these can be classed as stellar, but they were all here and represented a little bit of stability in a sea of madness. I was disappointed but not all that surprised when Bardsley and Colback walked, for their own good reasons. I don't have a clue what has happened with Vergini, so I have no idea whether blame can be cast on the DoF for this one. The protracted Alonso-Diakite deal is frustrating but that is down to Fiorentina wanting a good deal as well as us, and the two players concerned; we still might come out of it well.

The fact that we have bid large for Borini amazes and excites me - thanks Ellis for that one. I don't blame the DoF for Borini having Champions League aspirations, and remain hopeful that Gus and the whole team will continue to bust a gut and maybe, just maybe get that one over the line. I read into Gus' comments that he is prepared to wait the whole window for this one if necessary; a gamble, but IMO a good one.

I will not judge Congerton on this summer. Nor will I presume to judge the quality of his relationship with Gus on the basis of Gus' comments so far: I think the guy is passionate and frustrated just as much as we are

Ive been more critical of him than you. I'd like to think he'd have enough vision and organisational skills to make sure the enormity of this seasons task isn't repeated down the line but will we get to find out?? Bouncing from pillar to post is not how we should be operating. He isn't responsible for the size of the task but at the moment he seems to be swimming against a spring tide.

As i said, he can organise whatever plan he wants but every time he goes into a shop the goods either aren't for sale or reserved. At this rate the incompetence of his predecessors may have an impact on whether or not he gets the chance to make a good long term DOF. At the moment he's just fire fighting blazes that others started.
Two paragraphs of meh, right there.

Why not just hold your watter mate, see how he actually does during this window thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back