Collingwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would they get rid of though? The front line coaches are all well established long standing employees. Cook might decide to retire but I doubt it. He could always take over as head of security as I understand John Handy is no longer at the club. :lol:

Who would they get rid of? I think the simple answer is anyone they choose. We've all seen how ruthless the club can be when they've decided a player is no longer wanted, despite being under contract. Getting rid of a coach is easier still, in fact, if Colly decides he wants the 1st team job then another reshuffle could quite easily see someone's nose pushed out to an extent that they won't want to stay (Benks for example).

Of course, all this talk of Colly's future is just that, talk, I genuinely believe at the moment he has Durham's best interest at heart, and any decision he takes won't have been taken lightly.

Colly's present contract will be quite substantial as it's protected from his England central contract. A role, solely as a coach, would attract a far smaller salary.
The England hierachy have a stategy meeting today with Richard Halsall tipped to be sacked. If that's so and England will hardly dispense with a fielding coach then Colly would surely be the stand out man for that job.
We're saying the same thing. What I mean is that Colly's value as a coach would not match the value Durham might pay for a 2nd line coaching position. Unless they were prepared to push the boat out for him

It may be that we just won't be able to afford him

We're saying the same thing. What I mean is that Colly's value as a coach would not match the value Durham might pay for a 2nd line coaching position. Unless they were prepared to push the boat out for him

It may be that we just won't be able to afford him

That's assuming Colly's short term motivation is simply money, which I doubt.

That's assuming Colly's short term motivation is simply money, which I doubt.
In cricket you have to really follow the money I suspect, there's not so much about as in footy. If he were offered say double what durham could pay its a no brainer innit

But also, does he want to hang around durham as a coach? He can walk straight into the number one job somewhere

In cricket you have to really follow the money I suspect, there's not so much about as in footy. If he were offered say double what durham could pay its a no brainer innit

But also, does he want to hang around durham as a coach? He can walk straight into the number one job somewhere

I wouldn't blame him for chasing the money. Most sport players are finished by the time they hit 40 but they still have to pay the bills.

Once again, you're assuming that Colly's sole motivation is money, if it were then he would have taken the Derby offer a couple of seasons ago that would have made him the country's highest paid county player.
I honestly think his ambitions run a lot deeper than just money, there would be a lot more lucrative ways for him to make money than stay in cricket. I hope them ambitions include Durham, at least for the foreseeable future, because if he does take up coaching full time, then I can see I national team job for him eventually.

it may be a bit early for him to walk into being a number one though, he hasn't even finished playing yet, from what he's said he has really enjoyed coaching so far, learning his trade first and working with people he knows and living in an area he knows and loves may be far more preferable than moving somewhere new, working with totally new players and team and going straight into the stressful role of being in charge of everything. would make far more sense to stay here and work his way up

it may be a bit early for him to walk into being a number one though, he hasn't even finished playing yet, from what he's said he has really enjoyed coaching so far, learning his trade first and working with people he knows and living in an area he knows and loves may be far more preferable than moving somewhere new, working with totally new players and team and going straight into the stressful role of being in charge of everything. would make far more sense to stay here and work his way up
We'll see, I'm sure he'll have some good offers at the end of the season. Hopefully one is from Durham

i dont think colly is motivated by money and feel he will always have a connection with durham in some capacity. he has done a bit of punditry with sky, and as they are showing the ipl next year, i could see him fitting in there.

will he bring a book out?

i dont think colly is motivated by money and feel he will always have a connection with durham in some capacity. he has done a bit of punditry with sky, and as they are showing the ipl next year, i could see him fitting in there.

will he bring a book out?
There's a job come up today ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back