Chronic insomnia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got two bairns so don't stay out late, and even when I have a drink I'm up early , so I have a regular waking time (and try and have a regular bed time anarl).
I usually only drink weekends, and as I work a lot of weekends they're pretty much dry when I'm working.
Napping I've been told isn't good for you, can fuck up your sleeping pattern, so may be something you should try and avoid?
I know it's hard, but maybe getting up earlier on a Sunday will sort you out, though it sounds like you probably get enough sleep.
Even on the drink I'm up at 7, and don't think ive slept later than 8 for around ten years!!
The napping I do try and avoid but sometimes it's just a case of sitting 10 minutes too long in front of the telly.

I dunno if you do this, but sometimes when I am trying to get off to sleep I drift off for maybe only 10 minutes to half an hour, but then wake back up, and then it's like getting a second wind and I cannot get back to kip. Hate that.

"Clock watching" on early shifts is a pretty common affliction as people are stressed about sleeping in and are unable to relax enough to sleep. Maybe there's a shift workers forum or something similar on the net where you might be able to pick up some tips. Just knowing there are many like you may help you in some way.
f***ing hell thought that was just me

Must be hard working shifts and having good sleeping pattern like.

I was struggling starting at 8am 1 week and then 11:30am the next. Would go to bed at 12:30am when starting at 11:30am, giving me 7 hours sleep and went to gym etc. The next week when starting at 8am, I would try to go to sleep at 10pm, but when I put my head on pillow I was wide awake!

I've struggled with this for over a year now - the stress of knowing I can't get to sleep!
I've no other worries, my only worry is sleeping!
It seems to have got worse the last few months, as previously I used to be able to sleep ok ish every other night, but now I hardly sleep at all, which is effecting my job, and now my parenting (I'm often too tired and irritable) and also my relationship (again, tired/irritable).
I've been doing a sleep diary after finally going to the doctors again to properly moan about it (they did nothing at all when I first went around 6 months ago) .
Has anyone else had any experience with this?
I've got a few books, don't know if anyone could suggest any thing which helped them
Change their lives?
I'm considering hypnotherapy - just wondered if anyone had tried this aswell?
Open to all sorts of suggestions!
(I do sleep when pissed, but don't want to turn into having to drink every night to fall asleep !)
Read your posts. It does the trick for me;)

Seriously though is there owt underlying that your not realising? Can be a sign of all sorts, especially stress and if your not sleeping, then worrying about not sleeping its a bit of a vicious cycle. best of luck with it. Have you tried Kalms or some other herbal sleep remedies? Id be a bit loath to start with full blown sleeping pills though if im honest as i can see the same problems arising as you can see with a beer a night

I've struggled with this for over a year now - the stress of knowing I can't get to sleep!
I've no other worries, my only worry is sleeping!
It seems to have got worse the last few months, as previously I used to be able to sleep ok ish every other night, but now I hardly sleep at all, which is effecting my job, and now my parenting (I'm often too tired and irritable) and also my relationship (again, tired/irritable).
I've been doing a sleep diary after finally going to the doctors again to properly moan about it (they did nothing at all when I first went around 6 months ago) .
Has anyone else had any experience with this?
I've got a few books, don't know if anyone could suggest any thing which helped them
Change their lives?
I'm considering hypnotherapy - just wondered if anyone had tried this aswell?
Open to all sorts of suggestions!
(I do sleep when pissed, but don't want to turn into having to drink every night to fall asleep !)

Get fucked

I get about 5 hours kip then need the toilet then can't get back

Have a similar issue, it literally is a pisser!

Re the OP - there are a few things you can do to help getting off to sleep initially, namely: -

Having no other distractions in your bedroom (tv, tablet etc) - it should just be for sleeping
Try to avoid tv or "blue light" gadgets etc for 30mins - 1hr before getting to sleep
Diet & exercise - work your body so it feels tired - a bit of trial & error to find the right time to do this - some people get stimulated if they exercise later, others find a late work out sorts them out. Also try not to eat too late
If you have any stresses/worries/thoughts going through your head when you can't get to sleep - tell yourself now is not the time to worry about them and you will think about them sometime the next day (eg on your commute to work). Psychologically this will help you to switch off.

Good luck!!!

Here's a great trick I got from a workmate. When you're in bed ready for sleep, shut your eyes and imagine a familiar journey in the car eg home to work. Go through it in your mind, trying to picture every yard of the way. Bingo - you'll be off before you've got round the fourth corner.

Try Ashwaghanda, its an Indian herb and an adaptogen so harmless, you can get it from Holland and Barrett, sort you right out.

Read your posts. It does the trick for me;)

Seriously though is there owt underlying that your not realising? Can be a sign of all sorts, especially stress and if your not sleeping, then worrying about not sleeping its a bit of a vicious cycle. best of luck with it. Have you tried Kalms or some other herbal sleep remedies? Id be a bit loath to start with full blown sleeping pills though if im honest as i casee the same problems arising as you can see with a beer a night
My only stress is not sleeping!
I feel my life is pretty good otherwise, though I do need to be on the ball for my job, and that's why I stress mainly - knowing I need to get a good sleep to be ok for work .
I'm off work till Tuesday and slept better last night, but still nowhere near like enough!

Here's a great trick I got from a workmate. When you're in bed ready for sleep, shut your eyes and imagine a familiar journey in the car eg home to work. Go through it in your mind, trying to picture every yard of the way. Bingo - you'll be off before you've got round the fourth corner.
Yeah, I try and do something similair, like imaging I'm out working the dog on a familiar route, and I start drifting but then there's something in my brain which stops me properly drifting off.
It's really annoying !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back