Canon 6d

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizardKing

Goalkeeper
I have a Canon 650d which is ok but seriously considering going full frame. Mostly take photos of my lads playing ice hockey so i need fast shutter speed but its usually poor lighting. I've had some decent stuff but want to go to the next level. I was originally thinking about a 5dmk2 second hand but can pick the 6d up new for a bit more cash. Anyone have experience of both that could influence me either way? I currently shoot with a Sigma 70 - 200 f 2.8

Had a 6D, obviously you'll lose a bit of reach going from a crop. The centre point is very fast and accurate but the others are neigh one useless for something fast paced like hockey

As Ross said, centre-point is class but for sports you're going to need to be able to use the other ones. A 5D II might not actually be a bad shout. They're still a good step up from 650D and you'll be able to grab a bargain second hand.

As Ross said, centre-point is class but for sports you're going to need to be able to use the other ones. A 5D II might not actually be a bad shout. They're still a good step up from 650D and you'll be able to grab a bargain second hand.
AF is just as bad if not worse on a mk ii

Agree with the above about the 6D. I use one as my 2nd camera and it's fine in the centre but the other focus points are just crap… I think you'd struggle with sports photography. 5D MKIII is what you want ;)

6d is very popular with astrophotographers - gives you the same high snr, clean high ISOs and IQ as the 5d3 without the bells and whistles or the high pricetag. My next camera I reckon!

Thanks for all the advice, looks like the mk3 would be the ideal choice...........cash is the problem for that though! Time to trawl ebay and 2nd hand kit maybe...

Thanks for all the advice, looks like the mk3 would be the ideal choice...........cash is the problem for that though! Time to trawl ebay and 2nd hand kit maybe...

You can't go wrong with it, my main camera and it's a beast. You IMO only need it for pro work though... If I were just hobbying I'd never be able to justify 2k+ on a camera! Seems a bit extravagant when something like a 7D MK2 would do more than enough for half the price. Yeah ISO performance would take a hit but seriously would it matter?

Fuji XT-1 would be another option but not sure if the focus speed... Heard it has great ISO performance though and comes in about half the price of the 5D MK3

I know what you are saying regarding the price. Thats why I was looking at the 6D as its the cheapest Canon full frame. Do you think the 7D MK2 would handle the poor lighting in ice rinks? Thats 99% of what I shoot and was just thinking that full frame is the only was to improve for me. Does that Fuji use canon fit lenses? I would need something that my Sigma lens would fit.

I know what you are saying regarding the price. Thats why I was looking at the 6D as its the cheapest Canon full frame. Do you think the 7D MK2 would handle the poor lighting in ice rinks? Thats 99% of what I shoot and was just thinking that full frame is the only was to improve for me. Does that Fuji use canon fit lenses? I would need something that my Sigma lens would fit.
For somewhere like Whitley bay you'll need to shoot at ISO 800-1600 to get shutter speeds of 1/500. A crop won't do that cleanly imo.

For somewhere like Whitley bay you'll need to shoot at ISO 800-1600 to get shutter speeds of 1/500. A crop won't do that cleanly imo.

I sort of thought that when I got my 7D, the high ISO performance was woeful. It still is, but I have revised my opinion a bit over time.
At ISO 400 it is poor, but the performance is actually pretty much the same at 800 and not really much worse at 1600, so I am now routinely shooting at both 800 and 1600 whereas before I was stopping at 400 assuming things were just going to get worse from there.

I am now doing a lot more noise reduction in Post Processing and acheiving acceptable results - this is probably the key.

You would hope the 7Dii is a big improvement on the 5 year old sensor in the 7D. It will be interesting to see the reports once it gets into the hands of real users.

I sort of thought that when I got my 7D, the high ISO performance was woeful. It still is, but I have revised my opinion a bit over time.
At ISO 400 it is poor, but the performance is actually pretty much the same at 800 and not really much worse at 1600, so I am now routinely shooting at both 800 and 1600 whereas before I was stopping at 400 assuming things were just going to get worse from there.

I am now doing a lot more noise reduction in Post Processing and acheiving acceptable results - this is probably the key.

You would hope the 7Dii is a big improvement on the 5 year old sensor in the 7D. It will be interesting to see the reports once it gets into the hands of real users.
Think I was reading the 7D ii has the same sensor as the 60D. It's a hell of a lot of money too, not that much more expensive to step up to a 5D III from somewhere like HDEW.

It's incredible just how far behind crop bodies are to modern full frame when it comes to ISO performance. I remember shooting ISO1600 on a 7D in clubs and thinking I'd have to work hard the next day in post production to make it look clean and usable. Now I don't even think twice about knocking it up to 6400 on my 6D.

Think I was reading the 7D ii has the same sensor as the 60D. It's a hell of a lot of money too, not that much more expensive to step up to a 5D III from somewhere like HDEW.
60d and 7d mk1 have the same sensor. The 7dii has a revamped 70d sensor apparently.

I think this comes down to:

a) are you rich? If so buy what ever camera you want, no point in even thinking about it
b) are you not rich? Why spend £2k on a camera just to take photos as a hobby? I mean how noise free do the images REALLY need to be when they aren't for anything other than fun / family memories

a) are you rich? If so buy what ever camera you want, no point in even thinking about it
b) are you not rich? Why spend £2k on a camera just to take photos as a hobby? I mean how noise free do the images REALLY need to be when they aren't for anything other than fun / family memories
I'm sure he's justified the amount of money he can afford

What about gear snobs with massive credit card bills?

;)

I'm sure he's justified the amount of money he can afford

Then he should either go for it or not… it's like saying 'should I buy and Jaguar or a Mondeo'? I feel like I need a flow chart or something that has 'can you afford it… 'yes - buy', 'n0 - don't buy'

I drive an Insignia, would I have bought an Audi if I could have afforded it? Probably, do I need an Audi? No.

What about gear snobs with massive credit card bills?

;)

Haha yeah that's true… I forgot about that category, which is odd considering it counts for about 75% of togs :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back