Cannabis to be legalised in Germany from next month

With several other Euro countries to follow suit. Legal as in you can buy or smoke in license bars. Berlin will be quality. Bit of a death sentence to Amsterdam but for the best.

UK lagging behind as usual. I'm not a toker but don't believe in it being illegal.
I think I'm ok with it being smoked as long as I don't have to smell it everywhere outside

I absolutely love the U.K.

However, we are unique in our approach to “having a good time”. Having cannabis available will be a disaster and will have a negative impact on our society imo. We’re bad enough with booze, let alone mixing it in with cannabis.

I’m saying this as a person who used cannabis almost daily for about a decade. I haven’t touched it in almost the same length of time and my views on it have totally changed.

I don’t care how many people say otherwise, it is addictive. It becomes part of some peoples routines. It can have a horrific impact on some people and ruin their lives. I know by it being cultivated in a safe lab/farm will help with some dangers, but not all.

Cannabis is also 100% a gateway drug. As much as I hate sounding like an uncool parent, it just is. I’ve seen it myself. 13/14 start having a few drinks on a Friday night around one of your mates, whose parents are out. 15/16 one of your mates gets some awful tac from their brother etc and before you know it, it’s a few drinks and a bucket. Then it just progresses as people in the circle of wanting to have that buzz on a Friday start experimenting with coke and mdma etc. I’m sure most of us in the NE know this exact group of lads from school when growing up.

However, we are unique in our approach to “having a good time”. Having cannabis available will be a disaster and will have a negative impact on our society imo. We’re bad enough with booze, let alone mixing it in with cannabis.

I’m saying this as a person who used cannabis almost daily for about a decade. I haven’t touched it in almost the same length of time and my views on it have totally changed.

I don’t care how many people say otherwise, it is addictive. It becomes part of some peoples routines. It can have a horrific impact on some people and ruin their lives. I know by it being cultivated in a safe lab/farm will help with some dangers, but not all.

Cannabis is also 100% a gateway drug. As much as I hate sounding like an uncool parent, it just is. I’ve seen it myself. 13/14 start having a few drinks on a Friday night around one of your mates, whose parents are out. 15/16 one of your mates gets some awful tac from their brother etc and before you know it, it’s a few drinks and a bucket. Then it just progresses as people in the circle of wanting to have that buzz on a Friday start experimenting with coke and mdma etc. I’m sure most of us in the NE know this exact group of lads from school when growing up.
Oof can you imagine - booze and hash - whities everywhere 🤮

I'm torn on the subject. Part of me says it's harmless in moderation, there is virtually no chance of an overdose and stoners are less likely to boot off. Plus taxing and taking the money off the black market cannot be a bad thing.

On the flip side I have seen real heavy users have their mind altered to extreme mood swings and paranoia. Plus making it accessible may temp more people, those that want it can access it anyway.

My mate has just been and I couldn’t believe how many of the cafes were open on the main strips in the photos. All just appeared at the same time.

Like I said on another thread, I'm just back from Thailand this week. Bangkok is full of places selling weed. By all accounts, the king of Thailand himself is a big fan.

Got back to UK and on Friday night had to take my wife to A&E. Someone in the next treatment cubicle was smoking a joint; heard the staff discussing what to do about it, and they decided to let him carry on in the hope that it would have a therapeutic effect on everyone there. Might be the way forward.

I'm torn on the subject. Part of me says it's harmless in moderation, there is virtually no chance of an overdose and stoners are less likely to boot off. Plus taxing and taking the money off the black market cannot be a bad thing.

On the flip side I have seen real heavy users have their mind altered to extreme mood swings and paranoia. Plus making it accessible may temp more people, those that want it can access it anyway.
Now do the comparison between that and alcohol…

Now do the comparison between that and alcohol…

Or yeah, I believe alcohol is worse. More destructive to the individual and society. However, is adding something else to the mix the right thing to do? I agree with @Lefty Frizzell when he said we in the UK don't always have a healthy relationship with alcohol and other drugs.

On the other hand, if the introduction of cannabis decreased the use of other more destructive drugs then maybe it is the right thing.

It would be interesting to see the data from the counties/states that have allowed it and see how it has impacted things as a whole.

Back