Buying an old console

Status
Not open for further replies.

How's the N64 emulation? That's what I fancy it for.

Thats probably the one I've tried the least as I never had an N64. Its hit and miss from the little I've done, but much like the PSP emulation there's lots of options you can fiddle with to improve the speed and framerate (such as frameskip etc...). Sorry I can't be of more use!

Update regarding N64 stuff.

Had to have a fiddle with settings again (as I'd thought), but seemed to run Wipeout64, Mario Kart 64, Starfox and Zelda: Majora's Mask ok. Only real issues were in a map screen on Starfox (all of the planets lined up?) where the speed dropped and the sound went rancid. Game itself was fine.

So to recap, its a bit like the PSP emulation where it struggles a little when its loading stuff (ie the sound skips when you leave a screen or cutscene and the next bit appears), but gameplay wise it seems fine.

Apologies for semi hijacking the original thread but I can't recommend the JXD enough for fans of Retro games.

Last edited:
I bought a SNES a while back that I get out from time to time. Never owned a Sega console so might consider getting one at some point in the future for the right price

I'm tempted to get a SEGA Mega Drive just to play this when it's eventually released:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/11/project-y-is-an-upcoming-beat-em-up-for-the-sega-genesis

Those graphics are absolutely brilliant for Mega Drive. Can't remember the technical name but having multiple scrolling on the same screen (to show depth etc.) was something the Mega Drive always struggled with but on that video doesn't look a problem at all.

Fancy getting an old console, which one should I get? Thinking of a SNES. Just want to play some old classics, any sites that sell them?

Either get a game tablet (as previously stated) or buy an original XBOX with CoinOps installed (thousands of games and all the emulators you would want). I have both and use both regularly.

Ive got a sega emulator with loads of games. Play it regularly. PGA golf a personal favourite of mine

Fond memories :cool:

Still remember smashing a 250 yd double eagle/albatross on it after i figured out that doing a massive hook shot could add about 30 yds to a drive :p

Fancy getting an old console, which one should I get? Thinking of a SNES. Just want to play some old classics, any sites that sell them?
Just emulate the games, maybe buy a retro controller. PS1 games look f***ing rank on a HD TV, SNES will be even worse. With the graphic tweaking options on an emulator like zsnes you can get some decent results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back