Ben Stokes “Durham > England”

brandon

Striker

Disclaimer: He definitely didn’t say that, but it’s great news for Durham and I’d argue for fans of proper cricket because he’s prioritising his health and fitness for the longer format.

I absolutely can’t fault him for it and jokes aside, if he ends up playing no games for Durham but gets himself to a physical shape that allows him to bowl plenty of overs for England in the summer then I can’t blame him one bit.

One thing that can’t be questioned is his drive and I’m 99% certain he’s playing the long game with his body in the hope he can bring the urn home* from Australia in a couple of winters’ time.

*metaphorically.

As far as Ben Stokes goes, trust his judgement completely, struggle to remember many English players with his whole package of respect, desire and competitive spirit.

Whatever he decides it will be because he wants to give 100% to whatever team he plays for.

Might put a couple of hundred on the gate if he makes some games.
I might put a couple of hundred on the lads at 16/1 for the title :eek:
outrageous sacrifice that, not sure any other player in world would sacrifice that

pleased he is at durham but its a shame he wont be at the world cup he will be missed

In many ways I feel like he’s thinking along the lines of ‘veni, vedi, vici’ with regards to the WC and as previously mentioned, he’s prioritising his England captaincy legacy.

Last edited:
I might put a couple of hundred on the lads at 16/1 for the title :eek:

In many ways I feel like he’s thinking along the lines of ‘veni, vedi, vici’ with regards to the WC and as previously mentioned, he’s prioritising his England captaincy legacy.

He is. Dilemma for Durham, when he wants to play, he will play, but somebody undeservedly will have to miss out.

He is. Dilemma for Durham, when he wants to play, he will play, but somebody undeservedly will have to miss out.

I think it might work out fairly well for keeping the other bowlers fresh to be honest, let’s face it, if he gets back to somewhere near his bowling fitness he’s good enough to make the side as a bowler alone.

Imagine a side where we have Boland, Potts, Carse and Stokes as our seamers - even if you add Raine to it, we’d have a bloke coming in at 10 in Potts who is capable of scoring a FC hundred :lol:

I think it might work out fairly well for keeping the other bowlers fresh to be honest, let’s face it, if he gets back to somewhere near his bowling fitness he’s good enough to make the side as a bowler alone.

Imagine a side where we have Boland, Potts, Carse and Stokes as our seamers - even if you add Raine to it, we’d have a bloke coming in at 10 in Potts who is capable of scoring a FC hundred :lol:

Yeah fair point, crazy I know, I was just making an XI in the Hampshire thread and totally forgot about Bolland

There is also Wood, who will want to play some cricket I'd imagine.

Its weird as when Stokes came in for a few games the other year, he went hot n cold a bit and I wasn't sure how much it helped. Totally different with the new coach and set up, will be amazing. I just hope he plays in the games I can get to!

Disclaimer: He definitely didn’t say that, but it’s great news for Durham and I’d argue for fans of proper cricket because he’s prioritising his health and fitness for the longer format.

I absolutely can’t fault him for it and jokes aside, if he ends up playing no games for Durham but gets himself to a physical shape that allows him to bowl plenty of overs for England in the summer then I can’t blame him one bit.

One thing that can’t be questioned is his drive and I’m 99% certain he’s playing the long game with his body in the hope he can bring the urn home* from Australia in a couple of winters’ time.

*metaphorically.
Tim Bostock will not like this

Back