Becoming hard to beat....

Status
Not open for further replies.

1982DurhamSAFC

Midfield
We are now becoming a classic Poyet side especially if you go off his Brighton record we are becoming hard to beat so hopefully no more thrashings....

If you look at Poyet's record at Brighton you can see where I'm coming from.

League 1 - Winners.........................................Drew 11, Lost 7, Conceded 40
Championship 1st Season...............................Drew 15, Lost 14, Conceded 52
Championship 2nd Season...............................Drew 18, Lost 9, Conceded 43 (Best defence in the League)

Sometimes it's not going to be pretty but let's take stock look at the past few seasons & compare to the begining of this season.

WBA - Got mauled last year & year before. This year battled to get a point.
Man Utd - Generally get a humping at home. Again another point but could of easily been all 3.
QPR - Controlled the game & got mugged.
Spurs - Outclassed but we battled & got a point nearly 3.
Burnley - Classic SAFC normally get beat by newly promoted teams. Got a point at least.

It's baby steps & going to take time but if we can remain hard to beat then the foundations are being laid. Poyet strategy is keeping the ball even if it means passing back to Mannone 8 times in a sequence.

After so many years of struggle I really feel that with Poyet at the helm he can help us be a solid & consistant side.

I admit we need to do more in the final 3rd but I don't think we are too far away...

Keep the Faith, Ha'way the Lads.

I think the problem is less to do with Sunderland and more to do with the premier league. Really what is the point of us being here? Do we really turn up every week to see us play turgid hard to beat football and limp to a 15th place finish?

I think the problem is less to do with Sunderland and more to do with the premier league. Really what is the point of us being here? Do we really turn up every week to see us play turgid hard to beat football and limp to a 15th place finish?
Yes because we're sunderland football club and there's nothing else like it. Thats the point of us being here.

What works in the Championship doesn't necessarily work in the PL. Sooner or later we'll find ourselves blown away in a 15 minute spell with no way back because we only wake up when we're behind. You've simply got to be more positive in this league, to make things happen rather than hold what you've got and wait for the opposition to hand chances to you.

Agree. We've been taking baby steps for years now.
Granted it hasn't been helped with manager changes.

This is the one positive we can take from the beginning of the season.

I dont know why so many people expect us to go away from home and start beating teams. Despite us failing to do this on a regular basis since we returned to the prem.

For me these away games are Must not get beat, rather than must win. The must win comes when we play these sides at home. Pick 4 points up against the likes of WBA and burnley and we will be well on our way to a mid table finish.

We havent spent enough money or have the quality upfront to expect anything higher than a mid table finish.

This is the one positive we can take from the beginning of the season.

I dont know why so many people expect us to go away from home and start beating teams. Despite us failing to do this on a regular basis since we returned to the prem.

For me these away games are Must not get beat, rather than must win. The must win comes when we play these sides at home. Pick 4 points up against the likes of WBA and burnley and we will be well on our way to a mid table finish.

We havent spent enough money or have the quality upfront to expect anything higher than a mid table finish.
we wont get mid table with 2 points of west brom burnley and qpr

A lot of similarities to the 2012/13 season, started the season with lots of draws against teams we should have beaten.

We just say avoided relegation that season.....

We are now becoming a classic Poyet side especially if you go off his Brighton record we are becoming hard to beat so hopefully no more thrashings....

League 1 - Winners.........................................Drew 11, Lost 7, Conceded 40
Championship 1st Season...............................Drew 15, Lost 14, Conceded 52
Championship 2nd Season...............................Drew 18, Lost 9, Conceded 43 (Best defence in the League)

Sometimes it's not going to be pretty but let's take stock look at the past few seasons & compare to the begining of this season.

Man Utd - Generally get a humping at home. Again another point but could of easily been all 3.
Burnley - Classic SAFC normally get beat by newly promoted teams. Got a point at least.

It's baby steps & going to take time but if we can remain hard to beat then the foundations are being laid. Poyet strategy is keeping the ball even if it means passing back to Mannone 8 times in a sequence.

After so many years of struggle I really feel that with Poyet at the helm he can help us be a solid & consistant side.

I admit we need to do more in the final 3rd but I don't think we are too far away...

And unable to win. Class.

I'm happy with how we are progressing, we are picking up points on the road which is difficult in the premier league. Will be at home where we win most of our games and I fully expect us to pick up 4 points in our next 2 home games which will put us in a decent league position.

we wont get mid table with 2 points of west brom burnley and qpr

If we beat them at home in the return fixtures we will.

I starting to think that it is absolutely futile trying to work us out.

Yesterday clearly hightlighted that our players are just not very good.

All ok in isolation but put them all together and it's just slow ponderous boring crap.

It's all very similar to the Martin O'Neil team.

We are still desperately short of pace to frighten teams

Having looked at the next 5 league games we need to win on Saturday or being hard to beat may not be enough, the only improvement I have seen is more points from 5 league games than we did last season, lack of goals from the strikers is concerning

Having looked at the next 5 league games we need to win on Saturday or being hard to beat may not be enough, the only improvement I have seen is more points from 5 league games than we did last season, lack of goals from the strikers is concerning
If the only improvement keeps being more points I'm quite happy with that.

Nearly, o.k, could easily have been and got mugged amounts to same old story. Did you know we've been referred to as the nearly men and produced more nearly men than any other club in world football. In the football league show yesterday there were approximately 230 ex-Safc nearly men on show.

I starting to think that it is absolutely futile trying to work us out.

Yesterday clearly hightlighted that our players are just not very good.

All ok in isolation but put them all together and it's just slow ponderous boring crap.

It's all very similar to the Martin O'Neil team.

We are still desperately short of pace to frighten teams

Watching us against spurs and burnley made the O'Neill era seem exciting.

Not unexpected the way we play.
If I was one of our strikers I'd probably just stay in the house on a Saturday saying I had a migraine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back