Beale gone

The managers that were heavily linked before Beale joined (Schumacher and Hellberg) are doing terribly in their new roles.

Speakman really needs to adjust the settings on the data he’s looking for. Nearly every transfer since Jan 2023 has failed as well.
Thelin was interviewed as well

The managers that were heavily linked before Beale joined (Schumacher and Hellberg) are doing terribly in their new roles.

Speakman really needs to adjust the settings on the data he’s looking for. Nearly every transfer since Jan 2023 has failed as well.
Agree
It’s the ultimate buy cheap buy twice scenario
It’s the one position at the club head coach they can’t afford to be penny pinching on otherwise they’ll be looking for one every 6 months
The recruitment needs not overhauling as the idea of team of young Hungry talent is great, but it needs some experience to help it kick on
If u use Leeds as example few year back they went and hired a bloke like Bielsa for championship, look at what he did with in the main average set of players he made them look outstanding
We need to be ambitious on the HC role this time, simple as that liking for this utopia person who’ll just get what there given, on the cheap and expect them to manage club our size and take them up to next level the chances are very slim
The next appointment is their biggest one , fuck it up it’s them that will take the brunt

Hellberg's league season hasn't started

I'd like and think its more than reasonable to expect Speakman to speak further on whats just happened.

Whilst most appear happy that Beales gone, I still find it galling that we just had a coach for two months, thats not OK.

I'd like and think its more than reasonable to expect Speakman to speak further on whats just happened.

Whilst most appear happy that Beales gone, I still find it galling that we just had a coach for two months, thats not OK.
Sadly when you hire the biggest dickhead in the world that’s why happens.

Speaking of dickheads , is speakshite leaving ? 🙏🙏

I really wish I could ask him to define what he means when he talks about Sunderland playing identity. Ask him to define it in his own words so we have something to compare performance against.

Beale is known for playing narrow. Our best player is a winger, we have a few of them, we've converted a CM to winger & we have just signed another one. The recruitment and "narrow" don't align

Beale is known for not pressing. Sunderland fans absolutely love overt displays of effort and pressing is an obvious one. If "displays of hard work" isn't in our identity in some way I would be very surprised. It's just about the only constant that fans have like in all my time as a fan. (No shade on the idea of not pressing, it's just it's a very Sunderland thing to do.)

His appointment was strange based on these factors. Which is why I want the identity defined, so we have something to compare to. As it is, Speakman has - presumably deliberately - never defined it, so it can mean anything to anyone. Having that definition would inform so many other questions as well, it's a root or foundational question

Last edited:
I really wish I could ask him to define what he means when he talks about Sunderland playing identity. Ask him to define it in his own words so we have something to compare performance against.

Beale is known for playing narrow. Our best player is a winger, we have a few of them, we've converted a CM to winger & we have just signed another one. The recruitment and "narrow" don't align

Beale is known for not pressing. Sunderland fans absolutely love overt displays of effort and pressing is an obvious one. If "displays of hard work" isn't in our identity in some way I would be very surprised. It's just about the only constant that fans have like in all my time as a fan

His appointment was strange based on these factors. Which is why I want the identity defined, so we have something to compare to. As it is, Speakman has - presumably deliberately - never defined it, so it can mean anything to anyone. Having that definition would inform so many other questions as well, it's a root or foundational question

Is he still speaking about that though? I gave up on putting any onus on it after the first window, they spoke about club identity and the Lincoln play off at home and then bought a load of technical players unsuited to a high press. They did fine so I stopped caring.

Its so bizarre that everything appears to have set up to have all of the ball, all of the time, but our best results have come from having less possession. Throw in Beale, like you say that doesn't configure with any of these things, I'm assuming the thought behind it was personnel improvement as opposed to tactically?

I'd like some type of clarification from Speakman as to why it went so incredibly wrong.

Last edited:
Is he still speaking about that though? I gave up on putting any onus on it after the first window, they spoke about club identity and the Lincoln play off at home and then bought a load of technical players unsuited to a high press. They did fine so I stopped caring.

Its so bizarre that everything appears to have set up to have all of the ball, all of the time, but our best results have come from having less possession. Throw in Beale, like you say that doesn't configure with any of these things, I'm assuming the thought behind it was personnel improvement as opposed to tactically?

I'd like some type of clarification from Speakman as to why it went so incredibly wrong.
He's rated as a training ground coach I think, so I assume that was the reasoning.

But why you want that person to be Head Coach and in game manager, I have no idea. Bring him in as a first team coach to develop the players if that's his forte.

I agree it's messy and I would love clarity because as I say it would give something to compare against. The club talk a lot about long term plans and strategy and yet some decisions just don't make sense in that context

To be fair, Hellberg is still effectively in pre season & Stoke are horrendous so it’s a tough gig for Schumacher part way through the season.
See Dan Neil's come out in support of Beale, saying the squad liked working for him. Would hate to see them playing for someone they didn't like!!
Probably just being respectful since he’s a young player and might work with Beale again (should he go back to coaching).

Can’t just say “he’s an absolute whopper” :lol:

Last edited:
Agree
It’s the ultimate buy cheap buy twice scenario
It’s the one position at the club head coach they can’t afford to be penny pinching on otherwise they’ll be looking for one every 6 months
The recruitment needs not overhauling as the idea of team of young Hungry talent is great, but it needs some experience to help it kick on
If u use Leeds as example few year back they went and hired a bloke like Bielsa for championship, look at what he did with in the main average set of players he made them look outstanding
We need to be ambitious on the HC role this time, simple as that liking for this utopia person who’ll just get what there given, on the cheap and expect them to manage club our size and take them up to next level the chances are very slim
The next appointment is their biggest one , fuck it up it’s them that will take the brunt
Moyes ,Coleman, O Neill must have cost a few bob
Guarantees nowt

Not when you hear dan Neil's interview.
Very much supportive surprisingly.
I would have imagine it didn't sound good to the PFA when people in the media were talking about players wanting him out. it came across as a bit back tracking and covering all the bases. Plus like op has said the players are prepped and told what to say by the club..

Back