Apple imac/ macbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch

Striker
not totally clued up, so which is better option between the to ?
and more importantly... any billy bargains out there ?

aye.. but is the performance of the desktop better ?

It's hard to compare them that way. It totally depends what you intend to do with it.

Here's a comparison between a 15" Macbook Pro retina and a 4k iMac: http://www.apple.com/uk/mac/compare/results/?product1=macbook-pro-retina-15&product2=imac-retina-21

What I would say is that there's going to be a new MBP fairly soon, so I wouldn't get the current retina one.

As for deals, the only way you'll save money is getting a refurbished one.

I've got a 2011 MBP and it's still brilliant.

Got a MacBook Pro at work and a newer MacBook Pro at home. Both excellent! As mentioned, it really depends on what you want to do. You'll get a better spec for your money with a desktop but lose portability.

Its like comparing apples and oranges. The desktops are usually a better spec for the same amount of money, but you obviously don't have the portability. All of the Mac lineup are due a refresh to the new Intel CPUs. So if you can hold off a couple of months then do. Macrumours do a decent buyers guide
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac
The only way you will get a discount is if you buy a refurbished machine (which you cant tell from new machines) or if you know someone who is a student or works for a university.

Can anyone lay down a few examples of how Macs are more intuitive than PC? Serious question. I was forced to use one in Hong Kong and I found it a right faff. No scroll on the mouse indeed!

I've got an iMac and it outperforms my Macbook Pro, but I can still do everything I need to on the Macbook Pro.

Once you get used to the trackpad, then it's great. Wouldn't go back to a PC, for any Windows Only applications I have to use, I've got a Parallels VM for that.

Can anyone lay down a few examples of how Macs are more intuitive than PC? Serious question. I was forced to use one in Hong Kong and I found it a right faff. No scroll on the mouse indeed!

They aren't they are just different. Some people like them some people don't. If you try to give a balanced argument for one or the other it usually ends up in a osx vs windows slagging match.

regarding the scroll on the mouse, it depends what your using, obviously laptops use track pads and you can buy a wireless trackpad for imacs where you can scroll using to fingers dragged at once, it is one of the many gestures you can do. If its a mouse then a normal scroll wheel works.

They aren't they are just different. Some people like them some people don't. If you try to give a balanced argument for one or the other it usually ends up in a osx vs windows slagging match.

regarding the scroll on the mouse, it depends what your using, obviously laptops use track pads and you can buy a wireless trackpad for imacs where you can scroll using to fingers dragged at once, it is one of the many gestures you can do. If its a mouse then a normal scroll wheel works.

The magic mouse allows you to scroll using gestures as well, same as if you need to setup a right click option you can create a gesture for it.

Like @nelford_safc i finally bought a MacBook Pro 13" Retina the other week after wanting 1 for ages.

Brilliant machine. I don't even think I've opened up 5% of its capability yet and not sure I ever will push it to its limits.

Def get a MacBook, obviously you can take it anywhere with little hassle compared to a Mac.

I've got a 17" MacBook Pro from 2008 and it's still ok.

I'm looking potentially getting a second hand 2012 model and upgrading to an SSD and 16GB of ram. Will probably still keep up with the newer models.

The magic mouse allows you to scroll using gestures as well, same as if you need to setup a right click option you can create a gesture for it.
Is that the little square like a laptop scroll pad? The one upstairs had one of those and it felt a bit weird using one on a desktop. What are these gestures you speak of? Used my mate's MacBook last year and I only found out accidentally about the two fingers to scroll option right at the last. :lol:

Is that the little square like a laptop scroll pad? The one upstairs had one of those and it felt a bit weird using one on a desktop. What are these gestures you speak of? Used my mate's MacBook last year and I only found out accidentally about the two fingers to scroll option right at the last. :lol:

All the same ones you use on a Trackpad, but on top of the mouse, they're more or less the same ones you use on and iPhone and iPad as well.

It comes down to what you need it for really. Mac is better for design stuff and a PC is better for your office packages. With a Mac however you need to constantly update it and they do have a problem for flash which causes problems with certain websites.

I don't think they are tbh. I got mine as it was better for making music and DJing, however Windows 10 has caught up a bit in that respect and the latest updates to Mac OS are reportedly not good.

The scroll can be achieved with two fingers surely? Works on mine

I don't think they are tbh. I got mine as it was better for making music and DJing, however Windows 10 has caught up a bit in that respect and the latest updates to Mac OS are reportedly not good.

The scroll can be achieved with two fingers surely? Works on mine
The mouse on one of the Macs I was using was one of those one button jobbies. I used my mate's Mac as mentioned earlier last year and had no clue about the two finger scroll. No idea how you're expected to work that out if you've not been told about it (which my mate didn't - not even sure if he knew about it as he is clueless with tech :lol:)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back