Anyone else like to go to matches when they are away?

Me and a couple of mates go away once a year to see a match and take in the city. Been doing it 20 years so seen loads of big teams and great cities. A few shit ones too.

I eventually won my campaign to go to Istanbul this year when the fixture list chucked up Galatasaray Fenerbache at the start of may. Then some daft bastard president punched a ref, got the league suspended and they've shifted all the fixtures back by one week 😭

Saw Lazio play Torino few years ago, easy 3-0 win for them, think Klose scored twice (and randomly, Ravel Morrison played for Lazio).

Also saw Stuttgart Kickers on a stag do about 18 months ago. Fifth tier German side, but atmosphere was class and incredibly enjoyable experience. Helped they won 5-1 mind!

Used to work regularly in Sweden so when over there the lads I worked with would sometimes take me out to a local match ..

Been to see Gothenburg, Ogryte, AIK Stockholm and Malmo .. .

Was in the away end at AIK to see them play Malmo. Their fans that day never stopped singing .
When I'm not in Argentina on fieldwork I'm based in Gothenburg- so I go and see BK Häcken quite a bit.

I spent two seasons following Aalborg (Denmark) when I lived there and went to a few of the more local away games.
Great club- also played in Hummel red and white stripes at the time..

Beers and a hotdog in the stadium- stood on the terrace. Can't beat it.
Me and a couple of mates go away once a year to see a match and take in the city. Been doing it 20 years so seen loads of big teams and great cities. A few shit ones too.

I eventually won my campaign to go to Istanbul this year when the fixture list chucked up Galatasaray Fenerbache at the start of may. Then some daft bastard president punched a ref, got the league suspended and they've shifted all the fixtures back by one week 😭
I meant to be going to a conference in July in Istanbul so I'll miss any football too unfortunately. Always wanted to go

Last edited:
Went to watch Sunderland at Blackpool on my honeymoon pre 1980 1-1 does that count
It does. My dad did that in Blackpool a couple of years ago
Saw Lazio play Torino few years ago, easy 3-0 win for them, think Klose scored twice (and randomly, Ravel Morrison played for Lazio).

Also saw Stuttgart Kickers on a stag do about 18 months ago. Fifth tier German side, but atmosphere was class and incredibly enjoyable experience. Helped they won 5-1 mind!
Non league and equivalents are class TBF. I bet there were some proper German shithouses playing

Seen Depor at:
Mestalla 0-4. David Villa dived after 3 mins or so. penalty, 0-1, Lopo sent off. Rescinded Monday morning.
Bernabau 1-4. Xisco scored after four mins or so. Silly boy. I think only de Guzman touched the ball after that.
Nou Camp. 0-3 iirc. Drink had been taken so it’s a blur. A big blur.

We went past it on a tour! The guide stopped to show us the junior pitch next to the stadium where Ronaldo first played when he was a little boy.
They got a pittance of a fee for him. No sell on or owt. Sell ons for all the kids who leave the island to the big boys now apparently. Even if it’s only 1%!

Went to Roma vs Empoli in February last year on my jack. The game was over after 6mins when Tammy Abraham scored the second goal for Roma.

Great atmosphere before the game but I fucked off at half time because I was knocking about in shorts and it was f***ing freezing.

Basel vs Zurich, wouldn't have known it was happening if not for seeing footy shirts in town all heading the same way, we followed them rolled up to the ground and bought tickets for 10 euro or something half an hour before kick off. Ended 4-1 to the home side. 2015 ish.

Years ago went to see St. Pauli v Kaiserslautern in December.
I have never been so cold in my life.
First time I ever saw fans rattling keys at each other.
The St.Pauli club bar was great, but never wanted to see a match in Germany in winter since.

Went to Cologne and watched football but that was going there to watch football and not there to be on holiday. Fancy Valencia or Sevilla in Spain, Atalanta or Genoa/Sampdoria in Italy and Porto in Portugal.

As a bairn we holidayed in Torquay a couple of times (mid 70's), played Stoke one year in a friendly and Cardiff in the League Cup in the other year. Canny bit of bother both times with the visiting fans obviously pissed up.
Went to Orlando about 8yrs ago when over there, Dusseldorf after we played Hannover away 7/8 years ago. Think that's about it like.

Both Barcelona and Leeds had won the Fairs Cup twice before it got abolished.
I was on holiday at Lloret when there was a play off at Camp Nou to see who would keep it.
Me an my mates had a great time with a load of Dutch lads who also attended the game.
Barcelona won 2 1 by the way.

Been to a few games across four different European countries. I always try and take a match in when travelling with the family in Europe. It’s quite often pot luck as to whether there’s a game nearby as the holidays are booked in advance of the fixtures, but there is usually one a short train ride away. I’ll be in Germany and Belgium late summer so hopefully will take in another one - haven’t done Belgium yet so aiming for one there.

For me it’s all part of European culture and the City you are visiting, also the games have been very different in each country. Highlight was probably seeing Bayer Leverkusen win 5-1 back in October. Only bought the tickets the day before when staying in Cologne and realising how close by Leverkusen was. The football was incredible to watch and they are now champions and still unbeaten all season - a real one to remember.
Too right i do, had wor lass at the skegness game the other week when we were on holiday in Lincoln, whilst in the army and going around different places I've watched teams ranging from Bayern Munich, Borussia Monchengladbach and steaua Bucharest to TuS Celle, ICT (first season in Scottish league) and haverfordwest. On holiday in Cyprus last year i went to watch Apollon Limassol, although cheekily i ended up coming back with a shirt from every Limassol based team!! I love it, I'm potentially working in Darwen next week and already looking for games midweek to go to

Back