American 'tipping etiquette' article

I can’t stand the American tipping culture, for me a tip should be a nice little bonus for exceptional service to be able to treat the worker and not a top up on a poultry wage that is expected to be the given

I get that people doing the tipping is well intentioned and the servers certainly deserve to earn something they can live off but the whole culture of it just takes the heat off the fat cat owners who are the real villains not the consumer who has turned up and paid the correct price for the products provided

It’s bloody foul the chicken shits. Sorry I knew what you meant!
Their pay is chicken feed.
Read all replies first

Then that money is taxed.

then they can spend that tax on a healthcare system for instance. my point was that low-paid workers shouldn't be doing a full weeks work with only the guarantee of a direct wage from their employer that isn't enough to live on.

if a business can't afford to pay its staff a wage that they can survive on then that business isn't viable

I have no problem with leaving a tip for good service, think it's well deserved....

I don't like having to tip, no matter how shit the service is, as it's expected, they can piss off with it, I've been to various parts of States over the years and when the service has been poor I've told them and its been reflected in my tip or lack of it....

Paid $30 for two beers in Miami, had to go to the bar to get them, didn't even get a word from the barmaid, just a nod to ask what I wanted, she pulled 2 beers and put them on the bar and wanted 18%, absolutely no chance, I paid for the beers and walked away, she came and asked me why I hadn't tipped her, I told her why, she wasn't happy, neither were the Americans around me, but bollox to them all....
Finished our drinks, went to the next bar, waiter was excellent, service spot on, full tip, no bother....

Should only be tipped for the level of service....

I have no problem with leaving a tip for good service, think it's well deserved....

I don't like having to tip, no matter how shit the service is, as it's expected, they can piss off with it, I've been to various parts of States over the years and when the service has been poor I've told them and its been reflected in my tip or lack of it....

Paid $30 for two beers in Miami, had to go to the bar to get them, didn't even get a word from the barmaid, just a nod to ask what I wanted, she pulled 2 beers and put them on the bar and wanted 18%, absolutely no chance, I paid for the beers and walked away, she came and asked me why I hadn't tipped her, I told her why, she wasn't happy, neither were the Americans around me, but bollox to them all....
Finished our drinks, went to the next bar, waiter was excellent, service spot on, full tip, no bother....

I've never tipped a percentage at the bar, usually just tip a few dollars based on how many drinks I ordered.

When my mate and I were on Vegas we didn't pay for any of our drinks until the last night, we did leave tips though.

think there's 3 states introduced min wage, California is one, think other 2 are Alaska and Montana, ( not sure ) .

On another note, be careful if drinking at West Rib in Talkeetna Alaska, put tip on bill( unbeknown to us ) and we also left a cash tip. Not going back there

think there's 3 states introduced min wage, California is one, think other 2 are Alaska and Montana, ( not sure ) .

On another note, be careful if drinking at West Rib in Talkeetna Alaska, put tip on bill( unbeknown to us ) and we also left a cash tip. Not going back there
Fascinating - what the frig were you doing up there?

Class.

Always fascinated by these little places at the arse end of the earth.
We didnt seem them :D . Came home and 2 weeks later saw them on coast at Newbiggin.

Incidentally was in the roadhouse and kid walked in with guitar and said ok if sing, went into a few Dylan numbers, got talking about new album at the time ( the tempest ) and agreeing Pay In Blood was a classic song.

climbed Denali:D

Went up north to Fairbanks to see northern lights. Talkeetna is a stop off on way and West Rib and Talkeetna Roadhouse had both featured on Man vs Food
Brilliant that - how was it getting up Denali?
I fancy it but Alaska seems like the Wild West on meth..

Hoping to climb Whitney in the next year or two. Got the second half of the John Muir Trail to finish.

Brilliant that - how was it getting up Denali?
I fancy it but Alaska seems like the Wild West on meth..

Hoping to climb Whitney in the next year or two. Got the second half of the John Muir Trail to finish.
nah, was just joking about Denali, Tunstall Hill would be me limit- Talkeetna is starting point for doing Denali- most disconcerting is the graveyard there for all those that paid ultimate price.....

Back