Advice needed - emergency dementia care

Looking for advice-

Father in law has dementia. Mother in law is frail and has been taken to a&e today. They both live in Devon, we are 4.5 hours away.

He’s currently at a dementia programme until 3.30 today but he will be dropped off at an empty house. Mr B is jumping in the car and driving down shortly, but what options are available in situations like this? Where is the safety net? We’re on holiday next week so if this happened next week, what happens to him? Who can we speak to remotely to sort out care options?

I’m on hold to their doctors right now, but I know when I’ve asked about this kind of stuff on here before I’ve had some useful replies. Thanks SMB.

try social services. they were great when i had similar with my mam. hope you get sorted.
also, you might get some advice and pointed in the right direction ringing these.

dementia is a bastard horrible disease.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to get carers allowance for him and employ a carer ?
We have a carer that comes in a couple of times a week and that’s working well. His wife is his formal carer, and everything works when she’s not in hospital. It’s about finding emergency care for him for the next few hours and days really.

Don't know much about how things work with the dementia program, surely they won't/can't leave him in an empty house.

Sorry no help whatsoever, hope you get something sorted.

Don't know much about how things work with the dementia program, surely they won't/can't leave him in an empty house.

We’ve spoken to them - it all depends on when the volunteers are due to clock off. It’s a charity staffed by volunteers.

I’m on hold with Social services now (48mins, going to get cut off in 12 mins aren’t i?)

Looking for advice-

Father in law has dementia. Mother in law is frail and has been taken to a&e today. They both live in Devon, we are 4.5 hours away.

He’s currently at a dementia programme until 3.30 today but he will be dropped off at an empty house. Mr B is jumping in the car and driving down shortly, but what options are available in situations like this? Where is the safety net? We’re on holiday next week so if this happened next week, what happens to him? Who can we speak to remotely to sort out care options?

I’m on hold to their doctors right now, but I know when I’ve asked about this kind of stuff on here before I’ve had some useful replies. Thanks SMB.
See if his locall social services can provide emergency respite care

We have a carer that comes in a couple of times a week and that’s working well. His wife is his formal carer, and everything works when she’s not in hospital. It’s about finding emergency care for him for the next few hours and days really.

Well my late mam didn't have dementia but she developed an infection which produced symptoms akin to dementia and had to go into hospital then she went into a care home. Your father in law obviously can't be left alone so it's down to the social services.

That'll be an option but it usually requires the emergency team to come out and assess him.
When my mam was at home living with dementia she had a care manager who had orgainsed her care package, she was also able to organise periods of respite care when the care provider couldn't provide the level of help she needed at home.

To be honest if it hadnt been the day of the week that he goes to his programme, the paramedics would have left him in the house, as they said he couldn’t come in the ambulance. So we’ve actually been lucky. It’s bought us a couple of hours.

I was in the same situation and had no option but to get a private care team in. 4 visits per day 2 half hour ones and 2 15 minute ones. The council will pay towards it providing they have below £23 k in funds. I ended up having to move in after the old man died for extra support. Dimentia is tough on everyone, hope you get something sorted

To be honest if it hadnt been the day of the week that he goes to his programme, the paramedics would have left him in the house, as they said he couldn’t come in the ambulance. So we’ve actually been lucky. It’s bought us a couple of hours.
Once you've dealt with this immediate emergency you need to speak to adult social services and have a care plan put in place for your FiL. I did this with northumberland council social services and I have to say the care managers they provided for my parents were excellent. Ignore me if you've already gone down this route.

try social services. they were great when i had similar with my mam. hope you get sorted.
also, you might get some advice and pointed in the right direction ringing these.

dementia is a bastard horrible disease.
Great shout mate. Its what I was going to suggest even though I have no idea really and was only going to say that I hope OP finds something and it all works out.

best of luck mate.

Sounds like you need to get carers allowance for him and employ a carer ?
Carers allowance won’t be anywhere near enough to employ a carer for even one day. Need respite care now- will have to contact Social services dementia team and request urgent strengths and needs assessment under care act.
If nothing available immediately I’d make a safeguarding referral, sometimes prompts more urgent action.
There will be a financial assessment though and contribution will almost certainly be needed unless Continuing healthcare funding is available.
Worth contacting local Age U.K., carers trust and Alzheimer’s society for advice/ support.
A lot of LA’s have 72 hours of emergency care provided that can be accessed via carers trust. Usually have to have been assessed though.

Last edited:

Back