5:2 Fasting Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't sound great, light headed and feeling fucked, freezing cold and going straight to bed.
You getting any benefits?
Fuck nars yet, only done it for 2 weeks. To be honest though, yesterday afternoon I felt very energetic and not lethargic at all. Must be doing some good

Wouldn't it be easier and healthier if you just cut out any sort of shite on each alternate day?

If you normally take on board 1700-2000 calories a day then even halfing that for a day or two a week would be better than the 5:2 fast (500 calories allowed?).

You should be able to eat a decent brekkie, light dinner and normal evening meal within 1000 cals I'd have thought. Just hoy out the crisps, beer, chocolate etc. for 3 or 4 days a week or even better, totally.

Wouldn't it be easier and healthier if you just cut out any sort of shite on each alternate day?

If you normally take on board 1700-2000 calories a day then even halfing that for a day or two a week would be better than the 5:2 fast (500 calories allowed?).

You should be able to eat a decent brekkie, light dinner and normal evening meal within 1000 cals I'd have thought. Just hoy out the crisps, beer, chocolate etc. for 3 or 4 days a week or even better, totally.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter how you reduce your calorie intake. Do whatever works best. I think the additional health benefits are overstated somewhat but a lot of people seem to find it a good way of regulating what they eat.

it's unhealthy and does not work

Can you expand on that?

Ultimately it doesn't really matter how you reduce your calorie intake. Do whatever works best. I think the additional health benefits are overstated somewhat but a lot of people seem to find it a good way of regulating what they eat.

I've tried to do the 5:2 and I find it easier to have a 'fast' day at work but I still feel too hungry.

Saying that you could still eat quite a lot of salad within 500 cals, Tesco sell a tub for a quid and it's only 16 calories. Or you could eat 15 carrots!

I've tried to do the 5:2 and I find it easier to have a 'fast' day at work but I still feel too hungry.

Saying that you could still eat quite a lot of salad within 500 cals, Tesco sell a tub for a quid and it's only 16 calories. Or you could eat 15 carrots!

I haven't tried it myself. I don't like eating in the mornings so I unintentionally do about a 16 hour fast every day. 15 carrots each fast day would have the added benefit of giving your jaw muscles a good workout though.

I haven't tried it myself. I don't like eating in the mornings so I unintentionally do about a 16 hour fast every day. 15 carrots each fast day would have the added benefit of giving your jaw muscles a good workout though.

I don't either, as I feel sick every morning. Maybe I'm pregnant and am a novel species with a 10 year gestation period.

A bit gimmicky but those 'fuel' breakfast drinks are a godsend. Just a gloopy shake of carbs and protein which tastes vaguely like chocolate, strawberry or banana.

Can you expand on that?

If you fast, your body will go into starvation mode which means it hold on to as much fat as possible. It also means that when you do eat food it will all be stored as energy to a greater level than it would have done. Natures way of protecting itself.

Also starving is got good for cognitive and energy levels.

If you fast, your body will go into starvation mode which means it hold on to as much fat as possible. It also means that when you do eat food it will all be stored as energy to a greater level than it would have done. Natures way of protecting itself.

Also starving is got good for cognitive and energy levels.

But these 'fasts' are only 24 hours at a time and still involve consuming 500 calories. Do you have a link to the research?

But these 'fasts' are only 24 hours at a time and still involve consuming 500 calories. Do you have a link to the research?
Google "starvation mode" and you'll find papers on the subject. I'm not sure if the body will kick into starvation mode under the limited period you mention as I'm not that familiar with the process.

Google "starvation mode" and you'll find papers on the subject. I'm not sure if the body will kick into starvation mode under the limited period you mention as I'm not that familiar with the process.

I'm familiar with starvation. I just don't think it will be an issue under typical 5:2 fasting conditions. Thought you might have read something specific.

There's been a host of coverage of fasting recently, I'd imagine the issue of starvation would have been looked at at a very early stage considering the level of research into the potential benefits. Lots of people report that they lose weight when following the diet as well (although that's anecdotal, I haven't read any studies).

I'm familiar with starvation. I just don't think it will be an issue under typical 5:2 fasting conditions. Thought you might have read something specific.

There's been a host of coverage of fasting recently, I'd imagine the issue of starvation would have been looked at at a very early stage considering the level of research into the potential benefits. Lots of people report that they lose weight when following the diet as well (although that's anecdotal, I haven't read any studies).

Regarding this diet. What do you do when you have finished?

I'm a firm believer that diets are a lifestyle change that basically is unending.

Regarding this diet. What do you do when you have finished?

I'm a firm believer that diets are a lifestyle change that basically is unending.

I'd agree with that. However, I think 5:2 is probably quite effective at reducing appetite on non-fast days. That in turn would make it easier for someone to return to a diet that will keep their weight constant once they're down to their target.

One thing that 5:2 has going for it is that it makes people think about the calories they're consuming rather than basing it around cutting out certain types of food/drinking their meals etc. That makes sustainable lifestyle changes more realistic in the long term while offering what for some is an easier way to reduce their intake in the short term.

I don't think it makes a bit of difference to "starvation mode" it's simply a system to reduce your calorie intake.

Instead of 14,000* calories a week, you're eating 10,000 a week on a true 5:2 - not the gay one that allows 500 on fast days :lol:

*based on 2,000 a day.

I don't think it makes a bit of difference to "starvation mode" it's simply a system to reduce your calorie intake.

Instead of 14,000* calories a week, you're eating 10,000 a week on a true 5:2 - not the gay one that allows 500 on fast days :lol:

*based on 2,000 a day.
So why not just eat 1428 calories a day?

Whenever the body goes into starvation mode the metabolism slows down but certainly not enough to be able to outdo a 1200 calorie a day diet. It would have to literally slow your metabolism to half its normal level. :eek:

Yeah, why not?

It's just another calorie system, whatever works for you, 1428 calories a day or 5:2 fasting, it's the same when viewed over a week, a month, a year.
What I'm getting at is what's special about 5:2 as opposed to just reducing daily calorie intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back