35 years since Hillsborough

We were at Boundary Park, Oldham that day. Sunderland conceded a late goal to draw the game 2-2 having lead twice. I was on the supporters club coach and the journey home was somber to say the least as news filtered through of what had happened in Sheffield.

To go to a football match, something we did and still do every week, but not come home to our loved ones was beyond comprehension. Matters of promotion and relegation or the concession of two points paled into insignificance when placed in it's true context.

35 years on but never forgotten. RIP 🙏

I think people like myself take for granted how safe it is to go to the footy nowadays. I'm 26 and I know for a fact if it was anything like it was 40-50 years ago I'd have doubts to go
People complain that football has been sanitised. And to an extent that’s frustrating, I get that. But in many ways the experience has changed for the better

Attended every one of the funerals didn't he?
He visited one a few times in hospital as well, I once took him and 3 other Liverpool players up to ITU in a lift at the Hallamshire hospital...Kenny Dalglish gave me a Polo mint...Its me only claim to fame.
Dark days, sadly there are still a minority of Owls fanswho can't accept it...I've stopped reading the posts, anyone with any sense saw the danger of those fences years before it happened...it was a total trap, nowhere to go...

I was in the Kop with the forest fans. Still haunts me to this day. The stadium was packed at 2pm, great atmosphere and I had no idea about what was happening outside Leppings Lane. I just remember Beardsley hitting the bar on 5 minutes and then there was a huge surge, and then hundreds of Liverpool fans started to climb the fences. Initially, the police started pushing people back over, before it all became overwhelming.

The sight of a policewoman giving CPR to a fan on the pitch on her own before then pitifully looking around for help, realising the chaos around her, then taking her cap off and laying it gently over the fan’s lifeless face will always be there.

As we were driving back up the hill, there were desperate fans knocking on the doors of the residents asking to borrow their phones to give updates to friends and family back in Liverpool.
We got back around 6. At the time I did mobile discos, and I did the Gateshead police social do in the evening. It was only later that I realised the enormity of what had happened.

He visited one a few times in hospital as well, I once took him and 3 other Liverpool players up to ITU in a lift at the Hallamshire hospital...Kenny Dalglish gave me a Polo mint...Its me only claim to fame.
Dark days, sadly there are still a minority of Owls fanswho can't accept it...I've stopped reading the posts, anyone with any sense saw the danger of those fences years before it happened...it was a total trap, nowhere to go...
Yes.
About 6 months later the same almost happened at Boro (Ayresome).
Leeds fans herded into the already packed Clive Road corner and absolute mayhem when Leeds scored.
Took the police ages to react and start getting people out (they were getting crushed)

I think people like myself take for granted how safe it is to go to the footy nowadays. I'm 26 and I know for a fact if it was anything like it was 40-50 years ago I'd have doubts to go

Aye, same here. I'm 36 and some or the stories I've heard from my Dad (65) and my Grandad (long since deed) about them attending stadiums that were enormously over capacity is horrible, in the cold light of day....

Shameful episode, Hillsborough, for so many reasons - no one should head for for a day of fun atbth footy and end up not returning home..... :(

We were at Boundary Park, Oldham that day. Sunderland conceded a late goal to draw the game 2-2 having lead twice. I was on the supporters club coach and the journey home was somber to say the least as news filtered through of what had happened in Sheffield.

To go to a football match, something we did and still do every week, but not come home to our loved ones was beyond comprehension. Matters of promotion and relegation or the concession of two points paled into insignificance when placed in it's true context.

35 years on but never forgotten. RIP 🙏
I was at Boundary Park too and remember coming back across the M62 and seeing some of the Liverpool coaches going back the other way.

I remember thinking it could have been any of us.

Back