👀 Tim Martin’s wallet.

I'm yet to hear it used by people I like, or people who are using it in a way which doesn't belittle who they are living amongst

It is a perfectly legitimate term to describe a community living in a different country that are still citizens of another country.

most of the workers in Middle east are ex pats. that includes Bangladeshi maids and construction workers etc. they are not immigrants.

I went into Victor's before the Norwich game a few weeks ago. I was fairly busy but not as packed as it used to be on a match day.
Most pubs will be crowded before and after matches. I don't know what Saturday night in the town is like but Friday doesn't have the drinkers for the number of pubs. The cooper rose, the borough and the greens get crowded. Walking past victors to the greens on a Friday night there's nobody in. Staff standing outside the bars along there trying to attract passers by into them with drink offers.
I though the whole town was dead on Fridays these days?
It's not far off it.

Last edited:
I went in there one Friday night earlier this year. It was dead apart from a group of lads who looked very like Freddy Mercury. I thought to myself 'is this a gay bar now'. Vests, colourful trousers and taches seemed to be the norm. Then I realised it was a stag party and they were all dressed as Freddy. :lol:
Other than the stag party and us there was only one other person in and that was about 10 o'clock on a Friday night. How that stays open is beyond me. It was always crowded as a spoons.

Thing with the Wetherspoons model is no one can replicate, and people have tried.
It’s based fundamentally on high volume and low margins, generating high cash GP.
Thing is over the years they have become experts at leveraging low supply cost through dangling the volume they offer suppliers. It’s a bit like the supermarket supply model.
No one else can replicate it hence can’t sell the range of products at discounted prices (food and drink) to fill the size of a Wetherspoons. Worse still big venues with a few customers rattling around in them have terrible atmospheres and hence people are even less likely to use them.
That leaves the option of repositioning with a premium offer, hence requiring massive capital and losing all the existing customer base.
If the property is a lease hold rent may be based on the profits a Wetherspoons could create. If it’s freehold the property may have been sold at a value which is a multiple of ebitda(profit).
All of which makes Wetherspoons very hard businesses to acquire and run successfully

You have not answered why does it matter to you now. You didn’t vote. I voted remain. Check my posting history. Remainer all the way. The difference between me and you is I know that no matter how much I stamp my feet like a little girl things ain’t going to change even Starmer understands this.

But my question still stands. Why do you get such pleasure from Brexit not working? Is it that since the girlfriend dumped you it’s the only pleasure you get nowadays?
Well you changed your username since the vote, I assuming The Boot voted remain then. We did however have others coming back under new usernames claiming to be remainers or not voted at all (such as Narraback) to give the semblance of balance, or whatever their thinking was.

The one I was in at the weekend was advertising £12 per/hour cleaners, £10.50 per/hour bar staff. Shares. Free meals when working, and 20% for yourself and friends when not working.

Thought it sounded canny, hardly Scrooge-like figure some try and make out. Can only assume it's political, with those whose minds were broken by Brexit trying to bring him down. Sad.

Ah, there's one there

Told them not to worry about bailing on Whetherspoons, they needed to do what was best for themselves and families.

Remoaners: "Boo! Hitler!"

There's obvioisly an agenda against him from Remoaners. Sad to see them celebrating any bit of bad news they can get their hands on.

Better than being a deluded gammon.....;)

Well you changed your username since the vote, I assuming The Boot voted remain then. We did however have others coming back under new usernames claiming to be remainers or not voted at all (such as Narraback) to give the semblance of balance, or whatever their thinking was.
Nope I was always remain. Admittedly I never really knew what was happening but always thought we were better off in than out. I did however vote for Johnson because he was going to ‘get it done’ as I was sick of hearing about. Nowt worse than a politician who sits on the fence.
I just can’t understand why someone wouldn’t vote on a subject but be so vocal wether they could or not it’s still the same.
Post in thread 'Fish'
https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/fish.1534775/post-32818615
Who was he before 😆
As if you didn’t know. Tinker.

Last edited:
Wetherspoons back in the black after a torrid few years post lockdown. Great to see.

Provides a safe space / social aspect for a lot of the older generation. Ok some are piss pots but others do just use it for a cuppa and cheap meal.

Big fan of Amber Heard, by the way. She seems like a lovely, thoughtful woman.
He said. “If someone offers you a job at supermarket, and you think it’s a good idea take it” they were the only places open at the time.
It was at the beginning of the lockdown and it was uncertain what was happening. I couldn’t and still can’t understand what was really wrong with what he said.
Sage advice.

Back