Zoom

Used Zoom to deliver a lecture earlier (Pro version as was for 1.5 hours). Very neat and saved an mp4 file also for those who missed. I also like Teams (not sure if you can record?) but many of the students now in China and lots of issues with Microsoft stuff in China. The ability to add outside users to Teams depends on how your IT have set it up. At my place, you need to request adding outside team members, but you can add internal members instantaneously.
You can stream and record in Teams.

GoTo meetings is also good but yet to explore it fully.
Hadn't heard of the hewwer 7 days ago, now everyone in the world is using it. Had a 3 hour meeting today on it with 32 participants. It was fine but not sure why it has become the default video app?
It’s just one of a few options but as said, Teams is linked to MS.

Last edited:

It's class. Very easy to use. Particularly like the Virtual Background. Have downloaded a pub background amongst others.

Having a virtual pub night with it tomorrow. It's BYOB and have got Drunk Pirate lined up for some drinking games. Have shelled out the £14.40 as it's worth it not having the 40 minute hassle.

Last edited:
We dumped GoTo a while back, it just seemed to be sluggish.
I have attended one meeting and had signed up about 10 minutes before and it took me forever to get on.

Teams is great if you can get it obviously. Zoom works just as well too.

There’s another called Blue Jeans which is supposed to be ok.

It's class. Very easy to use. Particularly like the Virtual Background. Have downloaded a pub background amongst others.

Having a virtual pub night with it tomorrow. It's BYOB and have got Drunk Pirate lined up for some drinking games. Have shelled out the £14.40 as it's worth it not having the 40 minute hassle.

How do you get the virtual background? Pal of mine (MLF) is stuck in Nigeria and we are going to have a zoom session.

Prefer Teams

I don't get the constant comparison. Apart from making video calls, they are quite different. Zoom does video calls very well and works great for large meetings, that is their focus. Teams is about collaboration, sure it can do video calls but you can only see 4 people on screen at once time so that's nowhere near as good, but if you want a few people to work on a document at once you can only do that in teams.

How do you get the virtual background? Pal of mine (MLF) is stuck in Nigeria and we are going to have a zoom session.
On Windows PC. Bottom left where it says Stop Video. To the right is an up arrow. Choose Virtual Background. Then you have a choice of built in images or video. Or click the plus sign to add your own image.

Prefer Teams
Teams is excellent, been a godsend over the last few weeks keeping things moving with people WFH. All our design team and subbie meetings are done on there. Being able to share documents and grant access to others in the meeting to edit it and control it live is perfect. Almost better than normal meetings.

Did a six hour happy hour last night, six people. As I’m a non drinker the 12 cans of N/A beer were fine, but it was hilarious to watch two professors in a dick waving competition for the best whisky and cognac.

It ended with one of my friends opening a 10k bottle of cognac. He’s still i9n bed right now.

Did a six hour happy hour last night, six people. As I’m a non drinker the 12 cans of N/A beer were fine, but it was hilarious to watch two professors in a dick waving competition for the best whisky and cognac.

It ended with one of my friends opening a 10k bottle of cognac. He’s still i9n bed right now.
Was on with mates in Irleand. One was so pissed she fell asleep on the video call.

Been using it to for online English teaching for two weeks. No bother so far. Picture doesn't seem as good as Skype though.
I taught a full IT timetable this week using MS Teams. Very productive actually, apart from high absence, although I undsrsta
You can stream and record in Teams.

GoTo meetings is also good but yet to explore it fully.

It’s just one of a few options but as said, Teams is linked to MS.
Recording my taught lessons in Teams has been an absolute Godsend. So many students simply either do not have the tech at home, or have to share with other family who are WFH

Back