You've got £7-8k for a motor

...now that I'm working from home I dont need a car to do 30 mile round trip to work each day, its just to cart the family round on a weekend and the occasional UK holidays

Looking for MPV or estate, needs to have space for a wife and 3 kids, two in child seats and plenty of boot space, big enough for a dog cage. 7 seats would be an advantage.

Decent MPG, cheap to run and reliable.

What should I be looking at? Vaxuhall Zafira, Ford Grand C-Max, Peugeot 5008, Citreon C4 Grand Picasso, Mazda 5 all coming up in searches, all around 2011-2013.

Think you need a transit

I picked up a 7 year old Lexus RX400h for £5,800, still had a years Lexus warranty, FSH, excellent condition and it’s been great.

Loads of space, comfy and quite a few have the tv screens in the headrests to keep the jam eaters happy. Only gets 30mpg, but is a £40K car on the cheap. A bit left field, but a good one

I did some research a year or so ago. The two skodas, Octavia and Superb have the biggest boots of estates, and the best cost per litre of capacity. For another couple of thousand, a Galaxy is massive. I got one of those in the end and loved it.

Being a nerdy type, I made a spreadsheet of size v cost. PM me if you want a copy. I didn’t include French cars

Back