You've got £7-8k for a motor

TheWanderer

Striker
...now that I'm working from home I dont need a car to do 30 mile round trip to work each day, its just to cart the family round on a weekend and the occasional UK holidays

Looking for MPV or estate, needs to have space for a wife and 3 kids, two in child seats and plenty of boot space, big enough for a dog cage. 7 seats would be an advantage.

Decent MPG, cheap to run and reliable.

What should I be looking at? Vaxuhall Zafira, Ford Grand C-Max, Peugeot 5008, Citreon C4 Grand Picasso, Mazda 5 all coming up in searches, all around 2011-2013.

...now that I'm working from home I dont need a car to do 30 mile round trip to work each day, its just to cart the family round on a weekend and the occasional UK holidays

Looking for MPV or estate, needs to have space for a wife and 3 kids, two in child seats and plenty of boot space, big enough for a dog cage. 7 seats would be an advantage.

What should I be looking at? Vaxuhall Zafira, Ford Grand C-Max, Peugeot 5008, Citreon C4 Grand Picasso, Mazda 5 all coming up in searches, all around 2011-2013.

S-Max would be my choice

Had a Mondeo Estate and there was loads of room in the back for the little ones legs when in car seat, now got Volvo V70 and his feet are touching the back of the front seats. I'd recommend the Mondeo, we liked it so much we bought it for the mrs (no) off my employer when I changed to the Volvo.

I haven't done any research, but I'd imagine a Skoda Estate would be ideal, maybe stretch to a Passat for extra refinement/luxury. As you will not be doing many miles, a high mileage ex company car would be ideal & relatively cheap. Also, a petrol might be more cost effective, dirt cheap to buy, about 2/3 the mpg on motorway/A roads if you don't speed, (only downside = stupidly high VED)

Just remembered: I have a friend who knows about cars & likes value for money & he bought a Peugeot Estate, can't remember which model & as a passenger it was canny.

Whatever you do, do not fall for the "lifestyle" Stupid Ugly Vehicle shed on stilts bollocks, you aren't impotent yet.

I’ve looked at older cars, but worried about maintenance. Old X5’s took my fancy.

Whatever you do, do not fall for the "lifestyle" Stupid Ugly Vehicle shed on stilts bollocks, you aren't impotent yet.

Last edited:
If you can push the 8k budget slightly go for a Mazda CX-5, Sport Nav is the top model but all come spec’d up. Problem at that price you’re probably buying problems on an SUV.

If you’re sticking in budget look for a low mileage estate, Volvo, VW, Audi, Ford.

If you can push the 8k budget slightly go for a Mazda CX-5, Sport Nav is the top model but all come spec’d up. Problem at that price you’re probably buying problems on an SUV.

If you’re sticking in budget look for a low mileage estate, Volvo, VW, Audi, Ford.
I probably could push the budget, I currently lease a new X-Trail and I'm now used to the space and the 7 seats, although the times i use > 5 seats, i could get away with a 5 seater next. I'm looking at reducing the monthly cost as well, so will be taking a loan out over 3-4 years for it when the lease is up...i'm just getting some ideas as to my options for when the lease is up.

I probably could push the budget, I currently lease a new X-Trail and I'm now used to the space and the 7 seats, although the times i use > 5 seats, i could get away with a 5 seater next. I'm looking at reducing the monthly cost as well, so will be taking a loan out over 3-4 years for it when the lease is up...i'm just getting some ideas as to my options for when the lease is up.
Are you self employed now, need to consider that when getting a loan etc.

If you want secured finance then my brother-in-law works for a big local broker. Got me a great deal on my lasses car.

Back