Youth hostels

Paddy O'Dors

Striker
Anyone ever stayed in one?

In one atm for the first time cos it was the only place I could find in the locality at such short notice.

Bargain at £15.

Aren’t you supposed to be like ... a youth?

Where are you like?

Stayed in loads when I was inter railing around Europe and all the lads I met were fine. That was 1990. Stayed in one in San Francisco a few years later that was a converted jail and very creepy. Nee idea what they'd be like now.

Aren’t you supposed to be like ... a youth?

Where are you like?

Stayed in loads when I was inter railing around Europe and all the lads I met were fine. That was 1990. Stayed in one in San Francisco a few years later that was a converted jail and very creepy. Nee idea what they'd be like now.

Scrapped that years ago. Truleigh Hill up in the south downs.

There's a converted jail hotel in Oxford. I think it's canny posh.
My son has stayed at a few. They are for people who don't mind being communal and just need a place to sleep and shower, from what he's told me. He doesn't care, he is more about seeing as many places that he can without spending a lot of money.

Probably full of like-minded people so you'd be in good company.

Last edited:
I've stayed in dozens off them in loads of countries. Never heard a problem more serious than some people snoring loudly. But to be honest I might have been just as bad. I don't think I've ever stayed in one in the UK, though.

Aye stayed in loads. Some great ones in the lakes like the one at Ambleside.

Milan, Lake Garda, London, Grand Canyon, San Francisco, the list goes on. Generally now they're very clean and just simple accommodation. All great, cheap as owt and everything you need.

And to answer an earlier post, no you don't need to be young. Half the people that stay in them tend to be older.

Aye. In Brasil for a bit and one in Copenhagen. They were fine but I wouldn't choose to do that again now I can afford a hotel/airbnb.

Maybe if you're travelling solo it makes sense. They're good to meet other people.

Aye stayed in loads. Some great ones in the lakes like the one at Ambleside.

Milan, Lake Garda, London, Grand Canyon, San Francisco, the list goes on. Generally now they're very clean and just simple accommodation. All great, cheap as owt and everything you need.

And to answer an earlier post, no you don't need to be young. Half the people that stay in them tend to be older.
Forgot to mention in my first post, age is not a barrier. In Seattle in May this year, I stayed in the same room as a guy who was 73! He was an aging hippy who smoked weed through a vape and was the keenest reveller on our pub crawl. He was out till 3am. :lol:

Stayed in loads and there's usually a mix of ages there. Obviously the quality can vary and private rooms are usually better than dorms but only think I objected to was people shagging in the bunks in New Zealand a few times.

Stayed in loads and there's usually a mix of ages there. Obviously the quality can vary and private rooms are usually better than dorms but only think I objected to was people shagging in the bunks in New Zealand a few times.
did you not knock one off?

Stayed in one in Berwick, was ok but we had a few rooms to ourselves, was during coast and castles bike ride with a dozen of us staying. Hate staying in rooms with others tho as some **** always snores stupidly loud.

Back