Youri Tielemans

Coventry? You dislike them as much as you dislike derby and forest?
A bit like not knowing the dynamic of Sunderland/Newcastle/Boro and the true picture if you’re not from the area it’s the same in our neck of the woods
A bit of history
Before Brian Clough changed things the real rivalry in the East Midlands was Leics/Nottm. They are the two big cities and Derby weren’t really a factor
That changed with Clough obviously.
If you looked from the outside it seemed Leicester were the insignificant one of the 3 but if you were at any game between us and either of those two in the 80s/90s you would think differently and we’ve long since come out of any wrongly perceived shadow of theirs on the pitch.
The thing is about all 3 East Midlands Cities is that the people are similar and over time you get to know lads who would have been foe and you have a respect for each other in the main.
Now as for Coventry , it’s about 20miles away from us , same as Derby and Forest but the one word you would never hear from any Leicester lad where they are concerned is respect, nothing about them comes anywhere warranting any.

A bit like not knowing the dynamic of Sunderland/Newcastle/Boro and the true picture if you’re not from the area it’s the same in our neck of the woods
A bit of history
Before Brian Clough changed things the real rivalry in the East Midlands was Leics/Nottm. They are the two big cities and Derby weren’t really a factor
If you looked from the outside it seemed Leicester were the insignificant one of the 3 but if you were at any game between us and either of those two in the 80s/90s you would think differently and we’ve long since come out of any wrongly perceived shadow of theirs on the pitch.
The thing is about all 3 East Midlands Cities is that the people are similar and over time you get to know lads who would have been foe and you have a respect for each other in the main.
Now as for Coventry , it’s about 20miles away from us , same as Derby and Forest but the one word you would never hear from any Leicester lad where they are concerned is respect, nothing about them comes anywhere warranting any.
Ta for that. @steadybreeze may have a different opinion as a derby fan.

I have lived in burton on Trent all of my life and once worked near Swadlincote - there were quite a few Leicester fans from Measham, moira etc. in NW Leicestershire.

Forest will always be the most detested even though we have outgrown the rivalry on the pitch.
Living in the north of the county the feeling is very much mutual.
Can’t say I have ever come across a Cov fan away from a match day so no real hatred there .

Weller
Forest will always be the most detested even though we have outgrown the rivalry on the pitch.
Living in the north of the county the feeling is very much mutual.
Can’t say I have ever come across a Cov fan away from a match day so no real hatred there .[/QUOT

Weller are you on Bentleys?
Would say Loughborough is pretty much ours, Melton mixed Forest/LCFC, Out as far as Coalville is Leicester then when you go past Coslville to Melbourne,Swad/Ashby gets mixed Derby/Leicester
Out to the west Hinckley is Leicester then Nuneaton is id guess more Cov but I know some Nuneaton Leicester
Probably where you are in the County dictates who you see as the biggest rivals
In the city it’s always been Forest

Last edited:
Weller

Weller are you on Bentleys?
Would say Loughborough is pretty much ours, Melton mixed Forest/LCFC, Out as far as Coalville is Leicester then when you go past Coslville to Melbourne,Swad/Ashby gets mixed Derby/Leicester
Out to the west Hinckley is Leicester then Nuneaton is id guess more Cov but I know some Nuneaton Leicester
Probably where you are in the County dictates who you see as the biggest rivals
In the city it’s always been Forest
Used to be but haven’t been on there a couple of years now . Been reading this board for a good few years now and have to be honest it’s pretty decent.
The previous Leicester fan riled them up a bit, though think he has gone now.

Ta for that. @steadybreeze may have a different opinion as a derby fan.

I have lived in burton on Trent all of my life and once worked near Swadlincote - there were quite a few Leicester fans from Measham, moira etc. in NW Leicestershire.

I've lived in North Notts for all but 10 years of my life so i've always been a Ram stuck in the middle of a load of Forest, a smattering of Notts County, a few more Stags fans but I don't actually know any Leicester, with the City of Leicester being over 40 miles away they've never been of any interest. Leicestershire's just a drab county you have to get through to go down south! The games against the Sheffield clubs, Barnsley & Rotherham feel much more like local Derbies but as i say that's down to the area i live.

As far as history goes the Clough era intensified the rivalry between Derby & Forest and it's never really let up. It's as hostile now as it's ever been, more from the Forest end of the A52 in all honesty. A forest fan could probably get away with wearing a shirt around Derbyshire towns but it's tougher to do it as a Ram especially in places like Hucknall & Bulwell where my mate's 12 year old lad was threatened by a middle aged bloke for wearing the shirt.

I remember some mad times going back to the early 80's though, two games at Filbert Street i think a draw in the league that was the first time i was chased about in fear of a beating at an away game, only a young lad at the time so thought it was great. Then a midweek cup tie where hundreds of Derby met in a park after the game and rampaged through some terraced streets. There was some Derby/Leicester Alliance for a bit that caused a bit of bother in Nottingham but it didn't last long. On the field Leicester always seem to beat us, playoff finals the lot. Just glad we aren't in the same league anymore.

I don't know a Derby or Forest fan that didn't want Leicester to win the League toward the end of that freaky season, just to see the big clubs slowly realising that Leicester had them all sussed made for great telly, if Forest ever get promoted let alone climb the premiership I'd be mortified and that's the difference.

Not sure if it's true about Notts/Leicester rivalry once being bigger than the Derby one but i've never seen it. Up until Leicesters current unbelievable few seasons i'd match the E Mids clubs perfectly with the three North East Club's....Forest are Newcastle, absolutely deluded beyond belief, stuck in the past, holier than thou IDIOTS, every decision the club makes stops them from ever going forward with anything. Derby are Sunderland, smaller city then their main rivals and possibly more realistic about things. Leicester are Boro, a bit apart from the other two with a few decent cups over the years (changed now though)

Good luck to Leicester, i hope they win the title again this season but they aren't rivals in my book.

A bit of history
Think you'll be well liked on this forum, for that post alone.

Back