Your Top 5 Over and Underrated Films

I thought I was pretty much on my own thinking that's a cracking film.

Cable Guy was also class but got slated by critics. Carey had made a lot of goofy comedy before that and it was a lot darker
Overrated:

Braveheart, Gladiator, Crash, The Hurt Locker and The Social Network.

I just don't get how the first four took home best picture, and don't know why the last one was even nominated.

Some movies just haven’t aged well, braveheart was awesome at the time but looks poor now

Last edited:
I can't be bothered doing a big list but The Departed is an overrated pile of steaming shit.

Thief is very underrated, probably because it's very of its time and Scarface came out a couple of years after and overshadowed it a bit.

Overrated:
Gladiator
The Truman Show
Bohemian rhapsody (although I did enjoy it)
the LOTR (pick 2 to make my top 5)

Underrated:
Clerks 2
Sideways
Detroit Rock City
Red State
Frank

All the Nolan Batman films - massively overrated

Underrated
The Swimmer, Rules of Attraction, Copland, Pacific Heights, Master and Commander

Overrated:
- American Beauty - Aged badly
- Any Lord of the Rings - Boring
- Avatar- Only time I've ever left the flicks midway through
-The Hunger Games- Shit
- The Breakfast Club- Don't get why its so highly rated

Underrated:
Boogie Nights- Class unfortunate to be released same weekend as Titanic
Cape Feare- De Niro at his best
Open Water- Doesn't get recognition it deserves
The Sting- Classic
Ferris Buellers Day Off- Aged very well and a much better film than people originally gave credit for
Ferris Buellar would be at the top of my Over rated list.

How can it be overrated? I don't know anyone who thinks its a good film!

Edit: I stand corrected - IMDB and Rotton Toms has fantastic reviews of it. I didn't know that. I'm not on my own after all!
3 BAFTAs and 3 Golden Globes. Another 3 nominations in each and 3 Oscar nominations.

killing fields was a canny good film,alive was decent although the book was better and i wished i'd never lent it out

Cable Guy was also class but got slated by critics. Carey had made a lot of goofy comedy before that and it was a lot darker

Some movies just haven’t aged well, braveheart was awesome at the time but looks poor now
It was never Best Picture good. Not in the year Apollo 13, The Usual Suspects and Toy Story were out.

Back