Your Top 5 Over and Underrated Films

I don’t agree. I think it’s that good of a film it’s surprising how many people haven’t seen it. What is your favourite out of interest? Don’t think I could pick between rear window, nbnw or vertigo.
Well I'll have to disagree - there are far more films from the 40s/50s that people haven't seen imo. Vertigo gets quite a lot of critical attention. I've seen it at the Tyneside myself in the last few years.
I prefer Strangers on a Train, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes and Saboteur.

Overrated:

Braveheart, Gladiator, Crash, The Hurt Locker and The Social Network.

I just don't get how the first four took home best picture, and don't know why the last one was even nominated.

Must admit I'm not a big enough film buff to have a list as such, but I've never "got" Withnail & I despite being told it is genius.

I do however love What's Up Doc (Streisand & O Neil.. not Looney Tunes).. my "go to" film.

I don’t think Avatar was ever rated for its storyline, might be wrong but wasn’t it more about the CGI being groundbreaking?
At the IMAX, it was genuinely *amazing*. As in, I kept forgetting to follow the film, because what I was looking at amazed me. It was a technical achievement, if not a storyline one. Hopefully they'll get the story right for the next ones - and use the same filming techniques - no need to move forwards, as nothing has come close to touching it since.

It even single handedly launched 3D as a media platform again. But nothing could touch what Avatar did, and the whole thing died on its arse.

Overrated:
- American Beauty - Aged badly
- Any Lord of the Rings - Boring
- Avatar- Only time I've ever left the flicks midway through
-The Hunger Games- Shit
- The Breakfast Club- Don't get why its so highly rated

Underrated:
Boogie Nights- Class unfortunate to be released same weekend as Titanic
Cape Feare- De Niro at his best
Open Water- Doesn't get recognition it deserves
The Sting- Classic
Ferris Buellers Day Off- Aged very well and a much better film than people originally gave credit for
The Sting won the Oscar for best film 1973. Someone rated it.

Overrated:

Braveheart, Gladiator, Crash, The Hurt Locker and The Social Network.

I just don't get how the first four took home best picture, and don't know why the last one was even nominated.
Agree with all of these, Hurt Locker would be at the top of the tree, can’t believe the hype it gets even today.

Back