Your record for most images edited in a month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

probably right, but the results are no different at all. :-O

Haven't seen many of your images so can't comment on that tbh. I only bought my 1st DSLR 2 years ago so am still developing as a photographer, but can guarantee that if you look around at the top togs in this and other areas that charge £2k per wedding that none of them do most of their editing in LR.

My aim is to be one of those guys and I will get there a lot quicker with my ethos than if I had yours... I dont mean that in an offence way, just it's a fact that I have to have that ethic if I want to be a top tog

fight fight fight fight :lol:

Haha nah I have this debate with people all the time... one of my mates is a wedding tog in leeds and he harldy uses photoshop and keeps telling me to use LR.

When we get in to the debate it always ends up with him admitting he doesn't know how to use photoshop to level where he's using high pass filters and layer masks etc and so i just leave it there.

Usually those who preach using LR for image editing do so because they aren't able to unlock the full potential of photoshop.

Not saying Ayesane is one of those as I honestly have no idea, but about 80% of the time that's the case... even with togs who make a living out of it.

I tend to just get it right in camera.

:roll: :lol:

Haven't seen many of your images so can't comment on that tbh. I only bought my 1st DSLR 2 years ago so am still developing as a photographer, but can guarantee that if you look around at the top togs in this and other areas that charge £2k per wedding that none of them do most of their editing in LR.

My aim is to be one of those guys and I will get there a lot quicker with my ethos than if I had yours... I dont mean that in an offence way, just it's a fact that I have to have that ethic if I want to be a top tog

agreed, I hate it TBH but it is good as organising the images and TBH the NR, spot removal and lens tweaks are canny.

IMO top togs are about the image and composition, processing is secondary..

Here is a basic black and white work flow I built:

Logon or register to see this image

a LR action, cropping, photoshop action, LR action, spot removal. Under a minute per image.

agreed, I hate it TBH but it is good as organising the images and TBH the NR, spot removal and lens tweaks are canny.

Here is a basic black and white work flow I built:

a LR action, cropping, photoshop action, LR action, spot removal. Under a minute per image.

Don't get me wrong I use LR as it's a good additional tool for me. I use it to sort through the RAW files and remove the one's I don't want to give to the client, I then go through and make basic adjustments to levels and W/B... that's about it though and any further edits are all done in PS. Like I said if I want to soften something or sharpen then LR isn't a very good tool as it would apply it to the whole image and not the individual bits I wanted. Same with contrast and shadows etc etc etc.

Your images are really nice but if I were editing these I would have to open them in photoshop and use the dodge tool set to shadows on the eyes on the top pic as they are too dark, and also on the lower half of the face but set to midtones, and probably do the same with the midtones on the lower pics face.

Minor issues that most people wouldn't even notice but I'd still make them.

Edit - if you'd used photoshop to make the exposure changes you could also use a layer mask to remove some of the contrast from the over exposed side of the face on the last pic too :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd also disagree with this comment as the processing is just as important with top togs as the composition and image.

I have a few unbelievable togs saved in my favourites and can see their processing and how much time has been spent on each. I also worked along side a lady called Yvonne Catterson at a friend's wedding who shoots for loads of top mags and had recently done a shoot with Noel Gallagher.

I was chatting to her a few weeks after the wedding on facebook and she said "now I know why I don't shoot many weddings... the editing takes forever!" I then saw her pics and the amount of skin smoothing and other pro standard editing things she'd done was remarkable and really inspired me to do the same.

She's a top pro... better than I could ever be and she takes just as much time and effort to edit her pics as me... probably more so.

here man, never mind layer masks and midtones, sort your focus out ;)

Haha aye looking at when I'm not on my phone definitely agree that the focus is shit on that pic. How long ago was that taken though? Must be 12 - 18 months... I've come a long way since then!

aye the work flow purposely makes blacks black. It leaves an adjustment layer and i normally change the opacity to suit, but the top image the shadows on the eyes are quite harsh natively.

I'd also disagree with this comment as the processing is just as important with top togs as the composition and image.

I have a few unbelievable togs saved in my favourites and can see their processing and how much time has been spent on each. I also worked along side a lady called Yvonne Catterson at a friend's wedding who shoots for loads of top mags and had recently done a shoot with Noel Gallagher.

I was chatting to her a few weeks after the wedding on facebook and she said "now I know why I don't shoot many weddings... the editing takes forever!" I then saw her pics and the amount of skin smoothing and other pro standard editing things she'd done was remarkable and really inspired me to do the same.

She's a top pro... better than I could ever be and she takes just as much time and effort to edit her pics as me... probably more so.!

She'll be better at taking photos then editing them I'd bet.

aye the work flow purposely makes blacks black. It leaves an adjustment layer and i normally change the opacity to suit, but the top image the shadows on the eyes are quite harsh natively.

She'll be better at taking photos then editing them I'd bet.

Regardless of whether they are harsh in shot as opposed to due to editing its still something you could correct in Photoshop and if these were for clients it would be bad not do so IMO.

I've seen her pics... she's pretty amazing at both, you don't get to work with the likes of Noel Gallagher unless you are the full package

Regardless of whether they are harsh in shot as opposed to due to editing its still something you could correct in Photoshop and if these were for clients it would be bad not do so IMO.

I've seen her pics... she's pretty amazing at both, you don't get to work with the likes of Noel Gallagher unless you are the full package

if you want to be pro you're going to have to take better photographs, not get better at editing average ones.

oh, and I edited that image to the client's exact liking. :neutral:

think this calls for a shop-off. I'll provide you both the same RAW file, you have one night to edit it then post on here, we'll judge who's is better. :lol:

think this calls for a shop-off. I'll provide you both the same RAW file, you have one night to edit it then post on here, we'll judge who's is better. :lol:

:lol: i dont even know what we're arguing about. How boring are we man?

if you want to be pro you're going to have to take better photographs, not get better at editing average ones.

oh, and I edited that image to the client's exact liking. :neutral:

Yeah of course taking better pics is the main aim... but if you take an average pic and edit it well it becomes a nice but still average pic... If you take a superb pic and edit it to a pro standard it becomes an amazing pic.

It's about always getting that little bit extra out of the image... but yeah I'm kind of losing the point of what we even began discussing really :lol:

Strangely enough this kind of appeals to me :cool:

However as I have 300 wedding pics to edit I think I'll pass on editing any extra ones just to prove a point :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back