Your record for most images edited in a month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ajax_andy

Just worked out that last month I edited about 1,000 images... and I'm not talking about a quick contrast adjustment in Lightroom here, more skin smoothing, noise reduction, sharpening in photoshop.

So far this month I've edited about 300 with another 300 to go.

No wonder I'm fuckin knackered! :eek:

You gotta make a work flow marra... you could do 10,000 with a well thought out and defined set of styles/actions/filters.

You gotta make a work flow marra... you could do 10,000 with a well thought out and defined set of styles/actions/filters.

Depends on how you want to approach it really... I look at every photo as an individual image and like to work on it that way. I do minor tweaks in LR on the selected images from a wedding, but then open each one in photoshop and do further work.

I don't use filters or actions, nor will I ever... I understand I could produce the work far quicker that way, but it wouldn't be as good.

Maybe no one else would notice the difference but I would and it would bug the hell out of me (wife reckons I have OCD).

To me each pic should be treated as a unique image and edited as such.

More work but a far better end product

Depends on how you want to approach it really... I look at every photo as an individual image and like to work on it that way. I do minor tweaks in LR on the selected images from a wedding, but then open each one in photoshop and do further work.

I don't use filters or actions, nor will I ever... I understand I could produce the work far quicker that way, but it wouldn't be as good.

Maybe no one else would notice the difference but I would and it would bug the hell out of me (wife reckons I have OCD).

surprised you haven't noticed them out of focus images on your facebook then

:lol: was just winding you up!

Haha you had be frantically loading up my facebook page there to check :lol:

There probably are one or 2 tbf as I like anyone can miss my focus a bit, and sharpening any that were shot at high ISO is a no go due to the added noise it would create. :)

don't be so daft man, the longest part of your image processing should be selecting which image to do the processing on. I'm not saying you should have a set of actions or filters for every image you'll ever take, I'm saying you should have one for every set of images.

You're missing a trick with actions mind, missing a massive massive trick.

actually just saw one :lol:

the first one in the Grace, Ruby & Marcus album!

Do you think? Looks ok to me but am just looking at it on my iPhone.

Probably had it set to too wide an aperture as didn't really know what I was doing with getting a few people all in focus back then.

Do you think? Looks ok to me but am just looking at it on my iPhone.

Probably had it set to too wide an aperture as didn't really know what I was doing with getting a few people all in focus back then.
looks it to me, the young lads knee is in focus but the bodies and faces aren't. Didn't want to post it here without permission

don't be so daft man, the longest part of your image processing should be selecting which image to do the processing on. I'm not saying you should have a set of actions or filters for every image you'll ever take, I'm saying you should have one for every set of images.

You're missing a trick with actions mind, missing a massive massive trick.

Don't be silly man... I should take more time selecting a pic than editing it? That's not really the mantra of a professional tog if you ask me. Each pic should be edited to the highest possible standard.

It might take me 10 mins to edit a pic once I smoothed the brides skin (but kept it looking realistic), sharpened certain areas or removed noise from certain areas, added contrast but used layer masks to remove it from areas that have highlights clipped due to it, remove some of the saturation from certain colours or boosted it in others.

Doing that will produce an image far better than just selecting some shitty preset action or filter.

looks it to me, the young lads knee is in focus but the bodies and faces aren't. Didn't want to post it here without permission

Nah go for it bud as am happy for you to do so :)

Don't be silly man... I should take more time selecting a pic than editing it? That's not really the mantra of a professional tog if you ask me. Each pic should be edited to the highest possible standard.

It might take me 10 mins to edit a pic once I smoothed the brides skin (but kept it looking realistic), sharpened certain areas or removed noise from certain areas, added contrast but used layer masks to remove it from areas that have highlights clipped due to it, remove some of the saturation from certain colours or boosted it in others.

Doing that will produce an image far better than just selecting some shitty preset action or filter.

will let adobe know :lol:

You should use the tools you have though. I cannot see any point in repeating the simple steps you do to each set of images.. of course there will be hands on manipulation in every image you want to stick on their CD but the vast majority of stuff will be common across sets of images.

Build work flows, edit what they output, and you will get exactly the same image in much less time.

send me one of your facebook images to have a play with, the original RAW like..

will let adobe know :lol:

You should use the tools you have though. I cannot see any point in repeating the simple steps you do to each set of images.. of course there will be hands on manipulation in every image you want to stick on their CD but the vast majority of stuff will be common across sets of images.

Build work flows, edit what they output, and you will get exactly the same image in much less time.

send me one of your facebook images to have a play with, the original RAW like..

It depends on what you are doing though and there's a huge amount of things you can't do in Lightroom that you can do in photoshop. With regards selective sharpening, softening and contrast it's not possible in LR... I'm not going to sharpen a whole image when all I need to do is sharpen maybe 10% of it... same with softening, same with contrast.

With contrast I always bump this up, but if the light is catching the brides dress then this area will become really over exposed, so therefore I have to selectively remove the contrast adjustment from that part of the image.

You argue it's about workflow, but I'd argue it's about using the tools available to you to create the absolute best image possible. Time is secondary to me and image quality first and foremost my main concern.

It depends on what you are doing though and there's a huge amount of things you can't do in Lightroom that you can do in photoshop. With regards selective sharpening, softening and contrast it's not possible in LR... I'm not going to sharpen a whole image when all I need to do is sharpen maybe 10% of it... same with softening, same with contrast.

With contrast I always bump this up, but if the light is catching the brides dress then this area will become really over exposed, so therefore I have to selectively remove the contrast adjustment from that part of the image.

You argue it's about workflow, but I'd argue it's about using the tools available to you to create the absolute best image possible. Time is secondary to me and image quality first and foremost my main concern.

both ideology's have their place but one will struggle when load increases, you cannot apply a workflow for everything in image processing though, unlike other walks of life.

If you want to be able to seamlessly increase your output you need to map out the steps you do to create the final image and automate what you can.

You can paint sharpness in LR BTW. Although it's not as nice as USM in photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back