Your first car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mk 2 1.2 Astra. Basic model but with spoiler on the back made it look a GTE (if you were pissed and squinted through one eye;):)).

I had one of these beauties...cost me £50 and when it rained the passenger footwell filled with water. Could I hell as like find out how or where it got in!

NB. Obviously it didn't have a French Reg Plate!!

Logon or register to see this image

Bought in 1998, a 1990 G reg Nissan Micra. The scary thing is that it was only 8 years old, but looked 20.
Only one wing mirror - by design
Only 4 gears - by design
MW/LW radio player - no cassette (quickly upgraded to a FM+Tape stereo with decent speakers on the parcel shelf - of course!)

Terrible in every way but I loved it - it was freedom. Got it with about 100,000 on the clock and drove it until it had 130,000.
However, the gearbox did give up while I was at Uni - the selector for 3rd just wouldn't work, so for a few months I drove it was 3 gears only. Had to rev it up in 2nd before changing to 4th (top). Then on a long drive to Southampton, the whole thing gave up and I could barely change gears at all - managed to get there an back though, just. Before bringing it home for a new gearbox (which cost more than the car was worth in hindsight).

Got broken into twice in Nottingham:
1 - Broke the door lock. So switched it for the passenger side one.
2 - Broke in without causing damage, and stole the parcel shelf and left the car behind. The robbers clearly thought the 2 £50 speakers in the back were worth more than the car. They were probably right.

Engine gave up on me when I was leaving uni for the last time, covered the A1/M1 link in white smoke. Managed to limp home, whacked some "no smoke" into the oil and flogged it for a couple of hundred quid.

About 4 years later, I was at Hartlepool general, and it had been parked next to me on my return - still going somehow, and still missing the parcel shelf :lol:

Looked just like this (only mine was 3 door)

Bought in 1998, a 1990 G reg Nissan Micra. The scary thing is that it was only 8 years old, but looked 20.
Only one wing mirror - by design
Only 4 gears - by design
MW/LW radio player - no cassette (quickly upgraded to a FM+Tape stereo with decent speakers on the parcel shelf - of course!)

Terrible in every way but I loved it - it was freedom. Got it with about 100,000 on the clock and drove it until it had 130,000.
However, the gearbox did give up while I was at Uni - the selector for 3rd just wouldn't work, so for a few months I drove it was 3 gears only. Had to rev it up in 2nd before changing to 4th (top). Then on a long drive to Southampton, the whole thing gave up and I could barely change gears at all - managed to get there an back though, just. Before bringing it home for a new gearbox (which cost more than the car was worth in hindsight).

Got broken into twice in Nottingham:
1 - Broke the door lock. So switched it for the passenger side one.
2 - Broke in without causing damage, and stole the parcel shelf and left the car behind. The robbers clearly thought the 2 £50 speakers in the back were worth more than the car. They were probably right.

Engine gave up on me when I was leaving uni for the last time, covered the A1/M1 link in white smoke. Managed to limp home, whacked some "no smoke" into the oil and flogged it for a couple of hundred quid.

About 4 years later, I was at Hartlepool general, and it had been parked next to me on my return - still going somehow, and still missing the parcel shelf :lol:

Looked just like this (only mine was 3 door)

She wasn't called Christine by any chance (after the horror car/novel) :lol:

1985 Blue 1.6L 5dr cavalier.

Everyone should get one of these to learn to drive.
It's easy to work on, service, maintain and fix.
I learn't more about cars in the couple of years I owned it than I have since.
Silvered the wheels, blacked out the bottom, colour coded the grill.
Stonking stereo in the glove box, with a crap MW radio in the dash to hide it from the thieves.
Cut out switch with a red flashing LED instead of an alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back