Your favourite drum solos

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's more when they come to an end. I love the end of Ginger Baker's solo on Do What You Like with Blind Faith and the segue into the rest of the band.

Likewise King Crimson's Groon on the Live album Earthbound. The treatment at the end by the VCS3 is incredible.

Peart, and even then only in his early days.

The drums and bass are the engine room of a band and if you are a decent enough standard you really should be able to show your goods off in the body of the song.

In my teens I was listening to a live Grateful Dead concert and the drum solo started...champion, time to get in the bath. Had a nice soak, came downstairs and the solo was still in full swing. Ridiculous.

Leave the noodling to the guitarist where it belongs. Still...gives an opportunity for a slash at a gig I suppose.
This but at least in the later days he used tuned and electronic percussion to give a totally different take on the average Rock solo.

This but at least in the later days he used tuned and electronic percussion to give a totally different take on the average Rock solo.
Rush were all about taking things that little bit further in that respect. Pushing the boundaries of what you can do with tech in their own sweet way but I still think that the solo on ATWAS is the best example of this excess. Peart managed to entertain with an acoustic kit for five minutes which still sounds snappy today.

He'd probably nominate Buddy Rich mind.

"Intense"... "Who is number one?" McGoohan is actually miming to a recording of Joe Morello..However he spent a number of weeks practising in his own garage to make sure he got as close as he possibly could.

Drumming fans, Jazz fans and generally excellent acting and film fans should seek out a movie called 'Whiplash'. That is all.

This is Pat Metheny's drummer....
Musical and mind boggling what his feet and hands do....to my mind the best solo ever...

Nicko McBrain is class like. And Dave Grohl. I'm not a fan of drum solos though, but love hearing a song when the drummer stands out. It's the sign of a class band when every instrument stands out when you listen to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back