Your favourite all time TV Match commentator?

Martin Tyler was mint until he was hyped up by sky. I’m talking early 90s.

Still think Bill Leslie or Brian Moore are both excellent. Just watched Moore commentating in the arsenal v Liverpool game from 89. RIP.

Tyler's still a really good commentator on the rare occasion where he's not being employed by Sky.

Just watching some old games and it strikes me that the old commentators (in my humble opinion that is) where much better than some of the drivel spewed out by today’s Sky and other TV match commentators? Who was your favourite then?
Brian Moore? John Motson? David Coleman....There were a few so who was your favourite and why?
Brian Moore for me.
Gerald sinstadt
I'm sure he had a false leg too

Brian Moore for me. Remember Maradona scoring in the Mexican world cup against England in 86 " Valdarno to his left He want need any of them, you have to say that's magnificent " Me and my father screaming at the tv absolutely devastated as he scored the second goal.
I think that was Barry Davies
Moore, Davies and Coleman were all class acts.

Davies and Coleman could lend their commentary to other sports superbly as well.
Coleman’s speciality was athletics. He’d been a decent middle distance runner as a youngster and knew the UK club athletics scene very well. Wolverhampton and Bilston president iirc

Last edited:
Moore and Motson for me. Tyler is a gent too. Tyldesley annoys the hell out of me, but I'd like to see Alan Partridge get a chance for a full live match.

Back