Your favorite westerns?

Shane
The Searchers
For a Few Dollars More
The Outlaw Josey Wales
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

Best bad guy and "Low down Yankee coward" Jack Palance . The greatest bad guy performance in a western. When Shane shoots him you just know that Shane is actually doing him a favour.

Logon or register to see this image

Shout for City Slickers just for Parlance, nails!
In one scene in Shane Palance's character visits the ranch where Shane is staying and Palance slowly slithers like a snake down from his horse. For years I thought that it was amazing acting by Palance and used to point it out to everyone as an example of his skilled interpretation of his character.

Some years later I saw an interview with Palance about Shane. He said it was his first Western and being a city boy he has never ridden a horse before and was terrified of them - hence how he gets down from it in the movie. :D

Good the bad and the ugly isnt just a great western..its a masterpiece of film making

but I also love a less serious western

Cat Ballou - just brilliant
the Hallelijah Trail - Burt Lanacaster being the deadpan straight man whilst everything happens around him he cannot control, Lee Remmick looking absolutely stunning and Donals Pleasance as a seer who could see the future if he drank enough whisky...its just such good entertainment

Back