Your experiences of racism at football matches

Therokerroar

Goalkeeper
I am not posting this to criticise anyone's fans as all clubs have people with idiotic mentatlity's but I do honestly believe football supporters on the whole have improved dramatically when it comes to racism. I remember an interview with Rob Mason with a Sunderland black player from the 1980s whose name escapes me who said that he was chased through Mowbray park by racists.

I can honestly say I've heard only 2 incidents of racist abuse at Sunderland games....one was in the 90s at Roker Park..3 lads from Pakistani origin aged about 13/14 were been completely abused by 3 drunken blokes in their late 20s . The Pakistani lads were wearing Sunderland shirts and I thought if I was them I'd never come back.
Even though I was 12 I'm still ashamed I did nothing

At away games I also heard a lot of the chant I'd rather be a Paki than a mag....

Before a derby game I was at a pub next to St James with a skunk mate when some Sunderland Sikh fans came on the television and they got horrendous racist abuse

i firmly believe people are racists are idiots ...
But I can in some ways understand them
My mother is racist in her views and if your not white English and straight she doesn't like you...I could have went 2 ways I could have followed her views but decided to view my opinions not on their colour of their skin or which country they were born in but whether I thought they were a tit or not.

Reactions: Boo
Bloke in front of me at Wembley cited us “having a n..... in the team” as the main reason we lost to Swindon in the play off final. Never forgot that.

Tin Soldier

Striker
Like many clubs we still have our share of knuckle draggers when it comes to racism. It still comes out on occasion unfortunately it's only suppressed through a fear of being outed and banned rather than disappearing

Roger

The Gaffer
Staff member
At away games I also heard a lot of the chant I'd rather be a Paki than a mag....
This is still certainly being sung, sadly by youngsters too. I haven’t heard it during a game but in pubs/concourse/surrounds of grounds.

Things have improved vastly, but I am not certain that there isn’t more casual racism creeping back in over the last couple of years.

Three lads in the row behind me at Leeds do monkey chants and impressions to Brian Deane when he scored past us, I went to the toilet and was "lifted" by the Police marched me around the outside of the ground to the match control room in the opposite corner of the stadium. Watched back CCTV footage whilst I was denying it, saw it wasn't me, walked me back to my seat around the perimeter of the pitch.

Bonzo

Midfield
I'd rather be a Paki than a mag....

I heard that sang at a Shields U18 game yesterday from a thick fat drunk Sunderland fan.

Rob

Midfield
Thankfully it is rare at Sunderland now, but unfortunately there was a time particularly early 70s to early 80s where it was high profile, loud and obvious at Roker Park. I remember Laurie Cunningham (RIP) playing for Orient getting merciless stick for being black and there were others at the same time.

For all he was a fairly awful football, the arrival of Roly Gregoire at Sunderland in c.1977 actually seemed to dampen down the racist abuse to opposition players, but his stay was brief and until the arrival of Howard Gayle and Gary Bennett in the summer of 1984 I don't think we had any other black players. So the abuse did creep in again, although not as bad as it had been. Still remember Batson and Regis getting racist abuse playing for WBA in 1981 - obviously Regis scored the winner for them.

Gayle and Bennett's arrival at Sunderland coincided with a hardening of anti-racist attitudes in society generally and to my recollection any racist incidents since are very isolated. I also remember getting a Christmas card in 1984 from a mag supporter which had a picture of the SAFC first team squad with Gayle and Bennett's heads replaced by chimps - even more ironic considering Gayle had actually played a few games for them a couple of years earlier. Those two also got considerable racist abuse at SJP on new years day and to make matters worse were both sent off. Newcastle eased off the overt racism when Tony Cunningham started playing for them the season after.

Regards last nights events, it was disgusting and pathetic in equal measures. That said, there are a number of England fans not shy of the odd Nazi salute. Ultimately football reflects a lot of society's attitudes and in the relative anonymity offered by a crowd, some fairly extreme views are still prevalent.

Two million voices

Central Defender
Huddersfield away 1995, some black lad was getting pushed around outside and he asked the police for some help, the copper then said ‘come on now lads, leave the n****r alone’.

Sheffield Wednesday away in 1997, some moron shouting stuff like ‘Haway the whites’ and it took a glare from a 15 year old me for him to stop.

Reactions: Boo
I am not posting this to criticise anyone's fans as all clubs have people with idiotic mentatlity's but I do honestly believe football supporters on the whole have improved dramatically when it comes to racism. I remember an interview with Rob Mason with a Sunderland black player from the 1980s whose name escapes me who said that he was chased through Mowbray park by racists.

I can honestly say I've heard only 2 incidents of racist abuse at Sunderland games....one was in the 90s at Roker Park..3 lads from Pakistani origin aged about 13/14 were been completely abused by 3 drunken blokes in their late 20s . The Pakistani lads were wearing Sunderland shirts and I thought if I was them I'd never come back.
Even though I was 12 I'm still ashamed I did nothing

Before a derby game I was at a pub next to St James with a skunk mate when some Sunderland Sikh fans came on the television and they got horrendous racist abuse

i firmly believe people are racists are idiots ...
But I can in some ways understand them
My mother is racist in her views and if your not white English and straight she doesn't like you...I could have went 2 ways I could have followed her views but decided to view my opinions not on their colour of their skin or which country they were born in but whether I thought they were a tit or not.
I think there is huge improvement in England with attitudes towards british born black players but i've still heard stuff. I remember Sol Campbell of all people after a strong tackle on Phillips being called a black twat and then when i had a go the bloke, him justifying it by saying - 'well did you see that tackle - they don't help themselves do they' - as if black players aren't allowed strong tackles but its ok for Bally, McCann and co !! That sums up the ignorance. However, though we've improved on ' British', arguable Caribbean origin black players, there are still ignorant comments made about 'silly' African names, ages 'they're probably lying about their age' and although there are exceptions like Salah i think if you dug into conversations about Islam/ Muslims, south asians or North Africans it wouldn't take much for the dark side of racism to appear. The appearance of Sunderland lads at FLA / DFLA demo's and the post match anti migrant demo's in Sunderland with lads with shirts on show we are sadly part of that mix.

Bonzo

Midfield
That was sung on a number of occasions at SAFC games in late 70s early 80s
There were no Stewards about for a U18 game which wasnt unusual, but I think a member of staff must of heard him or was told about it because something was said and he stopped.

Only for him to come back with "Are we not aloud to chant anymore"

Rob

Midfield
I think there is huge improvement in England with attitudes towards british born black players but i've still heard stuff. I remember Sol Campbell of all people after a strong tackle on Phillips being called a black twat and then when i had a go the bloke, him justifying it by saying - 'well did you see that tackle - they don't help themselves do they' - as if black players aren't allowed strong tackles but its ok for Bally, McCann and co !! That sums up the ignorance. However, though we've improved on ' British', arguable Caribbean origin black players, there are still ignorant comments made about 'silly' African names, ages 'they're probably lying about their age' and although there are exceptions like Salah i think if you dug into conversations about Islam/ Muslims, south asians or North Africans it wouldn't take much for the dark side of racism to appear. The appearance of Sunderland lads at FLA / DFLA demo's and the post match anti migrant demo's in Sunderland with lads with shirts on show we are sadly part of that mix.
Good post if not a bit depressing

1992 cup semi final. When Benno was warming-up, some bloke shouted "let the Darkie oot his cage"

I must admit, I laughed, as shameful as it sounds now.