Your Dog

That's just a conversation I really don't want to have. Mine is nine now, a boxer, and she is my world. For the past three years she has had a degenerative bone disease in her feet, and I know that one day she will be in so much pain that I will have to do the right thing. She never moans, yelps, doesn't want to not play, always wants to walk and is as bright as a button, but those feet are going to kill her.

Plays so many roles- being given the choice by the vet to put her down or let her struggle on- doesnt get much harder than that- what a hole in our life- great dog r.i.p

I feel your pain marra. Lost my boy last Halloween. Absolutely destroyed me. Still have my girl though, but she's nearly 13 and I'm starting to dread the day now... :(

When she's here no more, I'm never ever getting another dog. Losing them is too painful!

I feel your pain marra. Lost my boy last Halloween. Absolutely destroyed me. Still have my girl though, but she's nearly 13 and I'm starting to dread the day now... :(

When she's here no more, I'm never ever getting another dog. Losing them is too painful!

The house is still and her basket and fur everywhere- took her in expecting her to get fixed, not to be given that question-surreal
That's just a conversation I really don't want to have. Mine is nine now, a boxer, and she is my world. For the past three years she has had a degenerative bone disease in her feet, and I know that one day she will be in so much pain that I will have to do the right thing. She never moans, yelps, doesn't want to not play, always wants to walk and is as bright as a button, but those feet are going to kill her.

She had a bad night, addisons disease- could sit up, couldn't rest- she even went in garden and lay in flower bed, almost resigned 😑

Last edited:
Plays so many roles- being given the choice by the vet to put her down or let her struggle on- doesnt get much harder than that- what a hole in our life- great dog r.i.p
Condolences mate.

We had to have our cocker spaniel put to sleep in August this year, just a few weeks before her 14th birthday. Got her before my sons were born and couldn't of had a better family pet. Both boys are still hurting (as am I). Still can't believe shes gone, miss taking her out for walks.

Don't dread having a dog for fear of the future demise of it, just enjoy your dog whilst it's attentive and active and never be selfish in wanting more time from it than the dog is capable of giving, healthy wise.
When that time comes, make sure your dog goes to sleep, peacefully. Not only is it kind to the dog, it's also kind to yourself because you will know you did the right thing at the right time.

I had a dog and she was 19. She had a great life until the last 6 months where she suffered a little pain and it gradually got worse. I should've had her put to sleep in that time but I tried all kinds to ensure she lived because I loved her so much.

I was not being kind to her in prolonging her life, I was being selfish.
I nearly lost my mind when she went to sleep and I promised myself from that day, if ever I got another dog I'd enjoy the dog and when the time was right to put the dog to sleep, I'd make sure it was done.
I did just that with my border collie cross, german shepherd. He managed to reach close to 15 but had a few problems that were only going to make his life a misery before the obvious.
I consulted the vet and the vet said I was spot on to make the decision because it's being kinder to put him to sleep now before the issues kicked in fully, which were doing so.
The vet said to me " you know,,,,it's a blessing that we can put animals to sleep as quickly as this."

I agreed.
However it nearly sent me over the edge. I felt vulnerable and all kinds of stuff. It took me a good while to get myself together but I take great comfort from making sure he didn't suffer badly and also I have his ashes in a box on the shelf.

I constantly toy with getting another dog but I have my daughters dog a lot and may just wait till she decides it needs a litter of pups.
If she does then I'll take one or two or whatever.

Anyway enjoy your dogs in your and their health and think nothing else other than that.
The inevitable comes to them and to us, so deal with that as and when necessary, just don't fret over it before time, otherwise the whole point of having one and the overall enjoyment of it, is tainted to hell.

Toughest decision I ever had to make but the looks I was getting from him seemed to be saying "Come on mate, sort this out, I can't do it meself". The vet made it clear that even taking him home for a final farewell weekend would be pretty selfish so as me son and I were both there we just went for it. All done with the utmost sensitivity and dignity and we both made it home before we burst into tears as I've just done now. Four years on and I still miss him every time I open the front door.

Don't dread having a dog for fear of the future demise of it, just enjoy your dog whilst it's attentive and active and never be selfish in wanting more time from it than the dog is capable of giving, healthy wise.
When that time comes, make sure your dog goes to sleep, peacefully. Not only is it kind to the dog, it's also kind to yourself because you will know you did the right thing at the right time.

I had a dog and she was 19. She had a great life until the last 6 months where she suffered a little pain and it gradually got worse. I should've had her put to sleep in that time but I tried all kinds to ensure she lived because I loved her so much.

I was not being kind to her in prolonging her life, I was being selfish.
I nearly lost my mind when she went to sleep and I promised myself from that day, if ever I got another dog I'd enjoy the dog and when the time was right to put the dog to sleep, I'd make sure it was done.
I did just that with my border collie cross, german shepherd. He managed to reach close to 15 but had a few problems that were only going to make his life a misery before the obvious.
I consulted the vet and the vet said I was spot on to make the decision because it's being kinder to put him to sleep now before the issues kicked in fully, which were doing so.
The vet said to me " you know,,,,it's a blessing that we can put animals to sleep as quickly as this."

I agreed.
However it nearly sent me over the edge. I felt vulnerable and all kinds of stuff. It took me a good while to get myself together but I take great comfort from making sure he didn't suffer badly and also I have his ashes in a box on the shelf.

I constantly toy with getting another dog but I have my daughters dog a lot and may just wait till she decides it needs a litter of pups.
If she does then I'll take one or two or whatever.

Anyway enjoy your dogs in your and their health and think nothing else other than that.
The inevitable comes to them and to us, so deal with that as and when necessary, just don't fret over it before time, otherwise the whole point of having one and the overall enjoyment of it, is tainted to hell.

Exactly what happened today- for the first time the dog never panicked and wanted to leave the vets- i watched her eyes unfocus as the drugs poured in- she acknowledged a new feeling, and drifted off- wife and i crying harder than thought possible

Toughest decision I ever had to make but the looks I was getting from him seemed to be saying "Come on mate, sort this out, I can't do it meself". The vet made it clear that even taking him home for a final farewell weekend would be pretty selfish so as me son and I were both there we just went for it. All done with the utmost sensitivity and dignity and we both made it home before we burst into tears as I've just done now. Four years on and I still miss him every time I open the front door.

Thing is her bloods were ok but she was losing her legs, bloated and seemed to have pain-in her side-probs liver failure she was sitting next to me staring at me- willing me to make it go away-last night dogs know on some level its time

Very sorry to hear your news. Dogs and Cats are family members and leave a big hole in your life when they're gone
When former Dr. Who, Colin Baker's dog passed away he tweeted something about it.
"They take a piece of your heart, don't they?"

How very true that is.

Back