6) The Cure Hyde Park

Last edited:
1) Machine Head Manchester Academy
2) Slayer Manchester Arena
2) Arcade Fire at Manchester Arena
4) Gruff Rhys Manchester RNCM
5) Interpol Manchester Apollo
6) The Cure Hyde Park

And the most eclectic gig goer award goes to......

Arcade Fire at Manc arena were superb.

Mogwai at The Institute
Shame at The Cluny
Idles at The Riverside

Is the institute basically the old Northumbria uni venue but with new name ??

And the most eclectic gig goer award goes to......

Arcade Fire at Manc arena were superb.

Is the institute basically the old Northumbria uni venue but with new name ??
Its the university near the city hall (I think it used to be called The University of Northumbria). Its not the venue that was there a few years ago where I saw PJ Harvey, Doves and Ian Brown amongst others. This venue is up a flight of stairs and is quite big (its a decent venue imo)

Its the university near the city hall (I think it used to be called The University of Northumbria). Its not the venue that was there a few years ago where I saw PJ Harvey, Doves and Ian Brown amongst others. This venue is up a flight of stairs and is quite big (its a decent venue imo)

Aye that’s the old Northumbria uni. Years ago gigs were in same building and still up the stairs but the room was a lot bigger and set out differently.

Aye that’s the old Northumbria uni. Years ago gigs were in same building and still up the stairs but the room was a lot bigger and set out differently.
There used to be The Northumbria University near the Haymarket that was sort of downstairs and was a bit smaller than the other university. I still seen a few big groups there such as Pulp, The Ramones and Richey era Manics. (I don't know if they still put gigs on there now)

There used to be The Northumbria University near the Haymarket that was sort of downstairs and was a bit smaller than the other university. I still seen a few big groups there such as Pulp, The Ramones and Richey era Manics. (I don't know if they still put gigs on there now)

That was / is Newcastle university. Used to have many gigs and also Brighton Beach club night there. Don’t have as many gigs there now but had loads years ago.
Saw probably my best ever gig in there, Primal Scream on their EXTRMNTR tour.

That was / is Newcastle university. Used to have many gigs and also Brighton Beach club night there. Don’t have as many gigs there now but had loads years ago.
Saw probably my best ever gig in there, Primal Scream on their EXTRMNTR tour.
Circa 2000? Yeah I was there for that one, it was indeed awesome

new model army at the round chapel, hackney after we played reading away. different but brilliant.
also, new model army at the academy in newcastle. went straight from bradford and man u scored the winner against the mags just as i was parking the car. a perfect day.

Circa 2000? Yeah I was there for that one, it was indeed awesome

Yeah that was it. I remember it was a Sunday night and they had Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine on stage with them along with Mani who was also in the band then. It was relentlessly loud and f***ing great.

It's been a quiet year for me but I really enjoyed Belly & Lloyd Cole. Both at Whitley Bay Playhouse, but on different nights.

Still never been to a gig at W.B Playhouse, decent venue ?

Yeah that was it. I remember it was a Sunday night and they had Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine on stage with them along with Mani who was also in the band then. It was relentlessly loud and f***ing great.

Still never been to a gig at W.B Playhouse, decent venue ?

Very posh - you'd definitely have to pick the right band. Bonus is you can take your pint to your seat.

Think I saw Black Rebel there when they first came out...

Last edited:
1. The Gaslight Anthem @ Hammersmith Apollo
2. Spanish Love Songs @ Soup Kitchen, Manchester
3. Iron Maiden @ Birmingham Arena
4. Frank Turner (Love, Ire & Song in full night) @ Roundhouse
5. The Rolling Stones @ Ricoh Arena

Frightened Rabbit playing Organ Fight

Pixies doing Pilgrim/Surfer Rosa last week was class

Cure at Hyde Park

Frank Turner 3 times in 24 hours was class

Honorable mentions - Belly, Breeders, Jetpacks, Ministry (excellent visuals), Editors, Twilight Sad
Where did you see Frank 3 times in 24 hours?

Back