Your best gigs of 2018

mad cyril

Winger
Lost Magpie
Who saw who and how was it ? Seen some belters this year.

Big arena gigs from Arcade Fire and Arctic Monkeys, banging dance gigs from Richie Hawtin, Wolfgang Flur and Jon Hopkins and amazing small gigs from up and coming artists W.H Lung and TVAM.
A real standout was seeing Michael Rother of NEU / Harmonia, a real pioneer who doesn’t UK that much.

Only slight disappointment was American pysch band Wooden Shjips who I thought were a bit on the dull side.

Kasabian at The Victoria theatre in Halifax were good and although not my cup of tea (the Mrs loves them) Foreigner were very good musicians and ably supported by Joanne Shaw Taylor who was excellent and a solo and acoustic John Parr who was also surprisingly good....at The Manchester Apollo.

New Order in Turin
The Good, the Bad and the Queen - Cullercoats Club
Glasvegas - Boiler Shop
The Breeders - Manchester

Its been a great year for gigs, not so much for albums.

Liam Gallagher in Berlin, tiny venue packed with Brits
Miles Kane in riverside Newcastle, another small venue and this lad can PLAY
Pearl jam in Werchter, Belgium- lifelong ambition realised

I got to "dad dance" around on the stage with Belle And Sebastian at The Sage earlier this year so I'd say that one purely for that moment alone.
Haters gonna hate but Shed Seven at Castlefield Bowl was class too.

Lunasa at Kings Place in January
CRX at Moth Club in September
The Voidz at The Village Underground in November

At The Drive-In and Death From Above 1979 at Brixton Academy in March was f***ing shite.

New Order in Turin
The Good, the Bad and the Queen - Cullercoats Club
Glasvegas - Boiler Shop
The Breeders - Manchester

Its been a great year for gigs, not so much for albums.

Was the New Order gig the one with American artist that had the students in boxes behind the stage ? I saw the BBC 4 doc and it looked superb if that’s the one.

Was the New Order gig the one with American artist that had the students in boxes behind the stage ? I saw the BBC 4 doc and it looked superb if that’s the one.
Yes, it was - we saw it first in Manchester last year at the Granada Studios and it was amazing. We then heard about Turin and went across and it was even better - it had 12 students in celebrity squares like boxes doing a synthesiser orchestration. I am 54 and its great that you can still gigs that you think are the best you've ever seen - even better than Thin Lizzy in 1979:).

Don't bother much these days
Natalie merchant at the sage
parquet courts boilershop
Courtney barnett northumbria uni

Parquet courts best gig

Yes, it was - we saw it first in Manchester last year at the Granada Studios and it was amazing. We then heard about Turin and went across and it was even better - it had 12 students in celebrity squares like boxes doing a synthesiser orchestration. I am 54 and its great that you can still gigs that you think are the best you've ever seen - even better than Thin Lizzy in 1979:).

It looked incredible mate. Hope you saw the doc they made for BBC4 as it was a great insight into the full show. There were a few of the tracks from Turin including the encore of Decades which was outstanding.
Contained great interviews and footage. Really wish I’d seen it live.

Back