Youngster Adam Richardson signs new deal

PRViiS

Midfield
Sunderland AFC are pleased to announce that Adam Richardson has signed his first professional contract.

The goalkeeper, who attracted interest from clubs across the Premier League and EFL, has committed his future to the club, putting pen to paper on a long-term deal.

Currently representing SAFC’s under-16s, the 2020-21 season will see Richardson continue his development on a full-time basis when he joins the club’s youth team at the Academy of Light.

The England youth international will be hoping to become the latest graduate in a long line of players to progress through the club’s esteemed academy, which regained its prestigious category one status last week.

After signing up, Richardson said: “I’m incredibly proud to have signed this contract and I can’t quite believe it. I have been at Sunderland since I was eight, so it means a lot to me to have committed my future to the club.

“It’s not just for me, though, my family have been there every step of the way. I have also worked with a lot of great coaches since I arrived, including Mark Prudhoe who has been the one to help me through a lot of high and lows.

“He has had a big influence on me, and I’m looking forward to working with him over the next few years.”

Academy goalkeeping coach Mark Prudhoe added: “I am delighted that Adam has signed a contract with the club. He is a great young goalkeeper coming through our system and we are all excited by his potential.

“Hopefully he can eat that potential up, and if he does, I think we might have another graduate coming along sooner rather than later.”

Finally good to see the club signing up some of our talent youngsters instead of then leaving

Be interesting to follow his career and compare it to the other young lads ,who have been lured away to big clubs . By staying he may get first team football earlier than the other lads ,who may have to wait a lot longer .
Time will tell but the other lads and their families are probably already more secure money wise . Nobody can blame them for that .

Be interesting to follow his career and compare it to the other young lads ,who have been lured away to big clubs . By staying he may get first team football earlier than the other lads ,who may have to wait a lot longer .
Time will tell but the other lads and their families are probably already more secure money wise . Nobody can blame them for that .
Intrigues me what the rush is to get 1st team football. These lads have got their whole lives ahead of them. What’s wrong with them excelling in & around their own age ranges consistently before making the step up. Yes there is always exceptions to the norm but in reality what good does it do rushing it, we’ve seen an example of that already here at Safc! I think they’re in this for a successful career, not just a quick flash in the pan so they can say they’ve played in the first team once or twice, I’m not sure what that proves to anyone.
It would be slightly naive to compare any of them based purely on who gets to play 1st team football first.. Your comparing lads at different ages, positions, clubs 🤷🏻‍♀️
Having said that, I hope to see Adam out there because he deserves every opportunity 👍🏻

Intrigues me what the rush is to get 1st team football. These lads have got their whole lives ahead of them. What’s wrong with them excelling in & around their own age ranges consistently before making the step up. Yes there is always exceptions to the norm but in reality what good does it do rushing it, we’ve seen an example of that already here at Safc! I think they’re in this for a successful career, not just a quick flash in the pan so they can say they’ve played in the first team once or twice, I’m not sure what that proves to anyone.
It would be slightly naive to compare any of them based purely on who gets to play 1st team football first.. Your comparing lads at different ages, positions, clubs 🤷🏻‍♀️
Having said that, I hope to see Adam out there because he deserves every opportunity 👍🏻
Because if they make an impression in the first team they'll be thrust into the limelight and pretty much instant millionaires. Plenty of talented lads have never made it that far through injuries or whatever. Making it to the first team as early as possible would be my priority, you don't know what's around the corner.

Because if they make an impression in the first team they'll be thrust into the limelight and pretty much instant millionaires. Plenty of talented lads have never made it that far through injuries or whatever. Making it to the first team as early as possible would be my priority, you don't know what's around the corner.
And if they don’t they are soon kicked straight back out & left to rot.
I don’t think most 15 & 16 yr olds at the moment are thinking about being millionaires as soon as they can. If they are, they’re in it for the wrong reasons & probably will never make it anyway

And if they don’t they are soon kicked straight back out & left to rot.
I don’t think most 15 & 16 yr olds at the moment are thinking about being millionaires as soon as they can. If they are, they’re in it for the wrong reasons & probably will never make it anyway

I'll have to politely disagree with you on that. A lot of these lads come from under priveleged backgrounds who see it as their only way out. There's absolutely no harm in seeing that the right application and hard work will see you and your family set up for life financially, even if you never come close to winning a trophy.

There’s quite a few thought that, then it turned out they were wrong. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed for anyone, and football waits for no one.

Depends what you consider rushing . I would of thought that by 20 years of age , a player at a league one club ,should be at least in the first team squad . The bigger the Club and the higher the league level the harder that is to achieve .
The players football career is usually a lot shorter than other professions.
Realise there are exceptions to every rule .

Depends what you consider rushing . I would of thought that by 20 years of age , a player at a league one club ,should be at least in the first team squad . The bigger the Club and the higher the league level the harder that is to achieve .
The players football career is usually a lot shorter than other professions.
Realise there are exceptions to every rule .
Ha no I wouldn’t call 20 rushing..
and it wasn’t necessarily aimed at you, just don’t get the comparing element, as you say, it’s logic you’d stand a better chance of getting into a 1st team quicker at a lower level club but not sure what that’s proving.

Back