You suddenly realise you're up next on karaoke...

no way is walk of life more famous than Romeo and juliet, IMHO obviously.

I reckon the other guy is right.

As someone that doesn't really know their stuff all that well at all, I certainly know Walk Of Life well enough to be able to imagi-listen to parts of it (I don't know what the word for the listening equivalent to "visualise" is) whereas even after hearing Romeo And Juliet just last night I still couldn't tell you how it goes.

(I was quite pissed to be fair)

Someone did this one last night at my house! (That was the reason I started the thread, really; I wanted a list of possibilities for me and my mates in case we ran out of ideas at any point :) )
Campsite I worked on in Canet had happy hour followed by karaoke was ran by a French lad whose English wasn't very good. Drunk English lad gets up the other lad passed him the pad and he selected his song, only picked that Ivor Biggun song I'm a wanker, he was a good minute into it before the public twigged on and he was cut off. The French lad only got in when he started doing hand actions to the tune.

I reckon the other guy is right.

As someone that doesn't really know their stuff all that well at all, I certainly know Walk Of Life well enough to be able to imagi-listen to parts of it (I don't know what the word for the listening equivalent to "visualise" is) whereas even after hearing Romeo And Juliet just last night I still couldn't tell you how it goes.

(I was quite pissed to be fair)
Sorry I might be a bit confused. I meant more famous for being a real record by them, not from being done on karaoke. Never knowingly attended a karaoke sesh., Never done it meself. Wouldn't put any innocents through that. (my choice is now 'No one is innocent' a la pistols & Ronnie Biggs)

Sorry I might be a bit confused. I meant more famous for being a real record by them, not from being done on karaoke. Never knowingly attended a karaoke sesh., Never done it meself. Wouldn't put any innocents through that. (my choice is now 'No one is innocent' a la pistols & Ronnie Biggs)

out of interest since you peaked my curiousity i did some research. obviously i reckoned i was right anyway like, otherwise i wouldnt have said it.

from wiki;

walk of life - The track peaked at number seven in the US charts and was their biggest commercial hit in the UK (along with "Private Investigations"), peaking at number two.

romeo and juliet ' It first appeared on the 1980 album Making Movies and was released as a single in 1981'

looked on youtube and walk of life has 115m plays, romeo and juliet has 10m

anyway, who cares, both good tracks, romeo & juliet is much better though

Can't argue with your chart stats - uk anyway. US is irrelevant, IMO, as I'm not a murkin.
But the YouTube stuff?
Iirc R&J was before mtv & therefore not optimised for wall2wall video exposure. Also the vid was pretentious as all feckity. And shit.
The WoL video was all US content and obviously aimed at that market and short attention spans. Not a DS fan but I agree that of the 2 R&J is the better.

I also bow to the fact that you were correct (that WoL is more famous as a video not as a good song).

Oh, I didn't mean it like that, I just meant in general I don't know their stuff very well as I've never really explored it to listen to, I only really know their songs that have been on the radio, TV, movies, parodies etc. Out of all their songs I know Money For Nothing the best, then Sultans Of Swing, then probably Walk Of Life is the only one of theirs I could name usually and "hear" bits of in my head without the song being on, with Romeo and Juliet being one I've heard of but couldn't tell you how it goes.

out of interest since you peaked my curiousity i did some research. obviously i reckoned i was right anyway like, otherwise i wouldnt have said it.

from wiki;

walk of life - The track peaked at number seven in the US charts and was their biggest commercial hit in the UK (along with "Private Investigations"), peaking at number two.

romeo and juliet ' It first appeared on the 1980 album Making Movies and was released as a single in 1981'

looked on youtube and walk of life has 115m plays, romeo and juliet has 10m

anyway, who cares, both good tracks, romeo & juliet is much better though
How does Money for Nothing compare? I’d have thought that would have been their most popular one.

How does Money for Nothing compare? I’d have thought that would have been their most popular one.

hardly scientific like, but 72m for that

Can't argue with your chart stats - uk anyway. US is irrelevant, IMO, as I'm not a murkin.
But the YouTube stuff?
Iirc R&J was before mtv & therefore not optimised for wall2wall video exposure. Also the vid was pretentious as all feckity. And shit.
The WoL video was all US content and obviously aimed at that market and short attention spans. Not a DS fan but I agree that of the 2 R&J is the better.

I also bow to the fact that you were correct (that WoL is more famous as a video not as a good song).

i tend to think it's not really about the video watching experience, more than people who want to listen to the song will chuck on youtube to listen to it.

i guess if i was into spotify or whatever it is the cool kids these days use then we could explore further.

anyhow,, all i did was stick them both into google, hence the wiki page and youtube vids.

it hardly matters like, my original post was just based on how i feel, which seems to get more radio plays/juke box/etc.

imo and thats all it is, sultans of swing and walk of life just edge money for nothing with romeo and juliet an oft overlooked classic after those 3.

age might come into too anarl, but like i say, it doesn't matter, i was just curious

Last edited:
Age definitely comes into it. Btw I wasn't having a go with the video stuff I just meant that at the time the popularity may have been influenced by the video for one getting more TV exposure than the other had. I agree it doesn't matter.

Living Next Door to Alice
500 miles
I'm a Believer
Delilah
These boots were made for walking.
Sloop John B
And the Band played Waltzing Matilda
Throw Your Arms around me

Just in case some have not heard of Throw Your Arms Around Me, Hunters and Collectors, Aussie, 1980's

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't mean it like that, I just meant in general I don't know their stuff very well as I've never really explored it to listen to, I only really know their songs that have been on the radio, TV, movies, parodies etc. Out of all their songs I know Money For Nothing the best, then Sultans Of Swing, then probably Walk Of Life is the only one of theirs I could name usually and "hear" bits of in my head without the song being on, with Romeo and Juliet being one I've heard of but couldn't tell you how it goes.
Here you are @fyl2u
Dire Straits - Romeo & Juliet (with lyrics so you can get some practice in :p)
It's a doddle of a song to sing along to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back