You may call it a tin-pot trophy now - but would you be at Wembley 31st March 2019?

Is a bit of a tin pot tournament when the club cant be bothered to print or programme or at the very list dish team sheets outs, even a basic 10 page publication sold for a quid or £1.50 would have done. I may sound like a dinosaur but I like to have a programme for each senior match I attended

wont happen as the final will be the winner of the Northern section v the winner of the Southern section, my money on a Sunderland v Portsmouth final. With us pumping Newcastle U21's in the Northern section final, which is effectively the semi final from what I can gather
is it 1 knockout round then quaters

Any tournament we enter wether it be tin pot or a stain on our history that we are even in it as one poster declared we would be stupid not to go all out for and I'm sure as hell I'd be at Wembley cheering the lads on till I'm hoarse. In the words of Charlie Methven we need to accept we are a league one team so why would we not be proud of watching the lads lift a trophy?

Last edited:
Serious question. If we won it would you really feel any sense of pride? Being in a position where we are even playing in it is a stain on the clubs history. To celebrate winning it for a club of our stature is cringey as f*ck. We should be keeping our heads down and mouths shut and be looking at putting things right. Its a sad indictment of where standards have slipped to. WE ARE F*CKING SUNDERLAND MAN!! Not some tin pot all club. 6 times english champions!

I think it was Methven who said that we cant act the billy big bollocks and need to accept where we are, respect our opponents and earn our way out of it. Being in this competition is very much part of where we are and if you find it 'cringey' then you clearly have not accepted where we are.

Don't be so bloody precious man. We are favourites for this and if we treat it properly could go a long way. Its an opportunity to be grasped. If you can't afford a Michelin star restaurant or even some decent pub grub, then you might just have to accept the odd McDonalds happy meal.....

Maybe. It's a shit competition anyway so I'll save my money for next time.

You taking your wallet to the other side? I don't think they accept Sterling where your'e going.

Last edited:
I mean 2019....With 35,000 plus others? HAAAAWWWWAAAYYYYYY we're on our way!
It's an absolute embarrassment to be involved in this cup and no I most certainly would not waste my money.

People are saying it's a tinpot trophy etc. but I bet you every penny I have that IF we got to the final they'd be just as excited as everyone else. To say you wouldn't is just being a dick for being a dick's sake.
Incorrect. It's a joke of a cup.

For me the competition became cringeworthy when the FA allowed teams from the top 2 divisions to field their reserve teams in it.

Just suppose we got to the final and for example played Chelsea U21?

Humiliating if we lose and under valued if we win.Monstrosity of a competition.

We should hang our heads in embarassment that we are in the competition. I couldn't give a shite how we do in it, and should use it only as a series of useful fixtures to give injured/fringe players a run out. I will not be going to the final, all giddy to watch a Sunderland fringe team take on Bristol City U23s for the prize of 2 points to the winner.

I know we are in League 1, but we'll end up f***ing staying there if we, as some desire, fielding full strength teams and take niggles and fatigue into the league games, all because we wanted to win some rinky dink pub trophy? Would you take finishing 3rd in the league rather than top 2, but got you got your day out in London? I'd rather we rotated so that our best players were available for as many league games as possible.

Last edited:
Serious question. If we won it would you really feel any sense of pride? Being in a position where we are even playing in it is a stain on the clubs history. To celebrate winning it for a club of our stature is cringey as f*ck. We should be keeping our heads down and mouths shut and be looking at putting things right. Its a sad indictment of where standards have slipped to. WE ARE F*CKING SUNDERLAND MAN!! Not some tin pot all club. 6 times english champions!

Exactly. Need to get knocked out of this nonsense cup as soon as possible.

We should hang our heads in embarassment that we are in the competition. I couldn't give a shite how we do in it, and should use it only as a series of useful fixtures to give injured/fringe players a run out. I will not be going to the final, all giddy to watch a Sunderland fringe team take on Bristol City U23s for the prize of 2 points to the winner.

I know we are in League 1, but we'll end up f***ing staying there if we, as some desire, fielding full strength teams and take niggles and fatigue into the league games, all because we wanted to win some rinky dink pub trophy? Would you take finishing 3rd in the league rather than top 2, but got you got your day out in London? I'd rather we rotated so that our best players were available for as many league games as possible.
The fans have no reason to hang their heads in shame

Back